Snyders JerkyRepackboxTitan ReloadingWideners
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2 Load Data

Thread: SOURCE for 9.3x72R Dies & 16 gauge x 65mm shotshells??

Boolit Mold

Question SOURCE for 9.3x72R Dies & 16 gauge x 65mm shotshells??

Hi.

I'm about to buy a cased set of a SxS Cape-gun, with exposed hammers, in 16 gauge & 9.3x72R rifle barrel, with a set of 16 gauge shotgun barrels, in a "luggage-style" case. - It was made in Austria, circa WWI & was, according to the son of the PO, a WWII "GI bring-back".
    (Both the cape-gun barrels & the shotgun barrels are nitro-reproofed in Berlin in OCT 1943, when the set was repaired/refinished by a German gunsmith named K. Kliest.)

As I'm new to this, I need a source for buying a set of reloading dies for the rifle AND a current source for buying 16 gauge X 65mm shotshells, too.
    (A quick browsing the WWW today revealed no current vender for either item.)

Thanks, ex-cadet
    "Victory or Death"

William Barrett Travis, LtCol, comdt.
    Fortress of the Alamo, Bejar
    F'by 24, 1836

Boolit Master
    Try C&H for the dies, they list them on their website. Not sure about shotshells, that is the older 2 and 9/16 loading, try searching under that designation.

Boolit Master
    I would love to see some pictures of that!
    It appears that the dies are in stock at Graf's and CH4D should have them for the rifle, and 16ga 2 1/2 shells can be occasionally found. I made several dozen out of brass 16ga and just reload them on a Lee Loader set.
    I'm sure someone else will mention that there are a few variants of the 9.3x72r that are quite a bit different, and also that some of the original black powder cartridge rifles were proofed for only lead - not jacketed bullets. I have an 1895 Winchester someone redid for the bottleneck version of the 9.3x72r. Fun cartridge to mess with.

Cheers

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Boolit Mold
    Rich/WIS,

Thanks for the tip.

Sincerely, ex-cadet
    "Victory or Death"

F'by 24, 1836

Boolit Mold
    cwtebay,

Thanks for the answer.

Where did you find 16 gauge brass empty cases? = Sounds like a good plan.
    (I did my 1st reloading for my grandfather's Model 94 saddle-gun in .32-40 Winchester with a Lee loader.)

The cape-gun comes with 19 JSP factory loads, 42 empty cases & what may be the original German-made cleaning kit (It looks "old" & in a "nicely made" tin box), which I was pleased to discover are boxer-primer cases, so I'm "fixed for now" on cases.
    (The PO's son emailed me last night & said he is sure that his father's 2-bullet mold is "around here somewhere" & that he will send it to me when he finds it, so I may be fixed for making cast boolits.)

Thanks for your help, ex-cadet
    "Victory or Death"

F'by 24, 1836

On the 16 ga shells, they make a gizmo that cuts plastic shells to whatever length you want. Not sure wh makes them.
    Just buy 16 ga shells and cut them down.
    You can make such a gizmo buy mounting a razor blade on the edge of a board then a block 65 mm away. Then place a shell on the board against the block and turn the case. The razor blade cuts the shell to length.
    Once you get them cut you can use most any shot gun loader to load. May have to make spacers to lift the case for crimping.
    On the dies check at RCBS, Redding, Lyman, Lee, CH any die makers web site and look to see if they make them. Quite a few can make dies if you supply a few cases.
    Leo
    Leo

I just put 9.3x72R reloading dies in my search engine. It came up as Redding, RCBS, Lee and CH4D have them.
    Midway has the RCBS for $39.99.
    The show them as listed on Ebay too.
    Leo

Boolit Master
    I got the empty cases from Midway. I shouldn't say I cut them down so much as made them uniform.
    I tried cutting down plastic hulls initially using a scalpel blade and a jig. They didn't work well with my Remington 1878 chamber (stuck in chamber). That, and brass shells are fun to reload and - yes - very cool.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    Huntington's for the 9.3 dies .
    Ballistic Products for everything shotgun .

If you do go to brass cases the 2 3/4 will be fine .
    An oft forgotten note about shotgun chambers . They are the same length as an open paper or plastic case so a brass case that's " 1/4" too long for that ", is still inside the chamber step .

An additional note is that the chamber may be cut for brass cases if so no problems but they may also be cut for paper cases and have a rather tall step from the chamber to the forcing cone . For examples look at 30s&40s vintage American single shots compared to say a Model 12 .
    With paper cases being almost as costly as brass and brass being more available probably you may want to fix that step as it will peel plastic wads , and upset fiber wads some times .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Mold
    44magLeo,

THANKS for the info, ex-cadet
    "Victory or Death"

F'by 24, 1836

Quote Originally Posted by 44magLeo View Post
    On the 16 ga shells, they make a gizmo that cuts plastic shells to whatever length you want. Not sure wh makes them.
    Just buy 16 ga shells and cut them down.
    You can make such a gizmo buy mounting a razor blade on the edge of a board then a block 65 mm away. Then place a shell on the board against the block and turn the case. The razor blade cuts the shell to length.
    Once you get them cut you can use most any shot gun loader to load. May have to make spacers to lift the case for crimping.
    On the dies check at RCBS, Redding, Lyman, Lee, CH any die makers web site and look to see if they make them. Quite a few can make dies if you supply a few cases.
    Leo
    Leo
    For the trimmer:
    https://www.ballisticproducts.com/Tr...uctinfo/TRIM2/

For anything else for the sixteen, just wander around the Ballistic Products web site.

Boolit Mold
    cwtebay,

I think that I'm going to order 100 pieces of the 2.5" 16 gauge shells to handload from Midway. - I was told that the cases are in stock now.
    (IF they are as tough as the 12-gauge brass cases that we got in the 1960s, that should be a lifetime supply.)

Fwiw, I still haven't found a vendor that has the 9.3x72R loading dies in stock, though 3 vendors said that, "We can get them for you by special order." = When being the main question & at what price.

Thanks, ex-cadet
    "Victory or Death"

F'by 24, 1836

Boolit Master
    Midway might have Kent 2 1/2" in stock, Ammmoseek shows it. Not cheap, about $150 for a 250 rd case plus shipping, but unless you plan to shoot trap or skeet might be cheaper than going the reloading route.

Boolit Master
    MEC has a short kit for the single stage press.
    https://www.mecoutdoors.com/short-kit
    RST has low pressure 2.5 inch 16 ga shells
    http://www.rstshells.com/store/m/3-16-Gauge.aspx
    I've seen where people have made a wood block to the length they want, drill holes to fit the shells to be shortened, then run it through a table saw.
    A lot of info here.
    http://www.16ga.com/forum/index.php
    Last edited by bdicki; 11-11-2019 at 11:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ex-cadet View Post

Fwiw, I still haven't found a vendor that has the 9.3x72R loading dies in stock, though 3 vendors said that, "We can get them for you by special order." = When being the main question & at what price.

Thanks, ex-cadet
    https://www.ch4d.com/products/dies/c...&filter=9.3x72

Don't know if they have them in stock, but at least you've got a start on price. Although it may be a little spendy for what you are looking for.

Good luck, I've gone down the road of odd ball/low volume cartridges before. it makes life interesting.

As to the suggestion above about the wood block and a table saw, it works, I made 2 1/2" .410's from 3" hulls. 8" long block with a series of holes just big enough for the body to pass through and the rim then catches. Run it against the fence with push sticks and the brass heads captive against the fence. It works well. Longer the block, the more holes, the more stable, the faster you get a pile of short cases.

Crimp was OK, in a perfect world the case mouths would be skived(thinned) to make them crimp better. But for hulls I had no use for, to make them usable, it works.
    Last edited by 15meter; 11-14-2019 at 11:34 PM.

Boolit Mold
    15meter,

Thank You, ex-cadet
    "Victory or Death"

F'by 24, 1836

Boolit Master

RST factory made 16ga 2 1/2 inch shells.

http://www.rstshells.com/store/m/3-16-Gauge.aspx

Boolit Master
    IF that thing slept in my gun safe I would put it in the hands of a (shot) gunsmith to ream the 16 ga. chamber to 2 3/4"; then it would be simple/safe/easy to shoot factory (and normal reloaded) loads in it.

Boolit Mold
    ex-cadet,

Have you found a set of 9.3x72r dies yet?

Boolit Grand Master

Be aware if you use the brass shotgun shells you have to order 14ga wads. Internal capacity is greater than the plastic shells.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!