Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Reloading Everything Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Round ball size for modified choke

Boolit Mold
    Awesome thanks again

Boolit Grand Master

You are welcome. I hope it all helps.

Also, before you go ordering and spending lots of money you might want to look through a few threads ~ mostly Ajay and turbo1889 threads. If you haven't seen them you should peruse the posts. There is lots of good info on slug wad fit, load suggestions, etc. Unfortunately it looks like Ajay used Photobucket and many early pics are blurry now. turbo used to post a lot with lots of good load info moreso than slug/wad fit as Ajay did.

Also, your use and expected accuracy may determine the best choices for you. About the easiest to cast and load are round balls in my opinion and round balls that drop into shotcups are real easy to load but... if they fit too tight they pinch petals and accuracy drops off, if they are too loose accuracy drops off. My good RB loads tend to run 3" to 4" at 50 yards and generally hold up not badly to maybe 75 yards. If I just drop a 0.678" RB into my current Winchester wads they are a bit sloppy and accuracy isn't so good, not bad but not nearly as tight or consistent groups. Plenty good for "plinking", ringing a gong at 50 yards or bear defense up close, and probably good enough for hunting to 40 or 50 yards. If I want tighter groups I have to work at it a bit more and get better ball/wad to bore fit.

Cloth patching the 0.662" RB's is extra work and of course takes time so not something I want to do for "plinking" rounds. I'll take a lower level of accuracy and faster reloading when I just want to blast lead and roll rock or blow up water jugs.

In a smoothbore exact fit isn't real critical as long as the ball stays centered in the bore and a donut wad might just do that as well as cloth patching but should be easier and faster, or a brush wad, or...? Then there are steel shot wads and the 0.662" RB is a nice fit in CSD wads and I am sure some others (thick petals).

Anyway, there are lots of options depending on your goals, expected accuracy, component selection available, etc. I'd say its hard to go wrong with the 0.662" RB though. In the end you might want a couple of RB moulds to suit different applications or components.

Have fun!

Longbow

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12