Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxInline FabricationLoad Data
RotoMetals2 Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Svarog Botfly slug brings home the back straps!

Svarog Botfly slug brings home the back straps!

My son Ethan made a perfect, and I mean PREFECT shot on the old cull buck. Shot was quartering away at 32 yards. Slug expanded perfectly totally destroying the heart and the front lobe of the lungs.

As soon as the slug hit, blood erupted for this old warrior. Blood trail was awesome and he ran 30 yards.

Slug was recovered on the offside shoulder just under the skin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The load was mild. 2.75” clear Cheddite hull, 28 grs of Longshot, Botfly slug with a BP18 wad screwed to it, and a deep roll crimp.

Recovered slug.

Thats awesome congrats. I am suprised it wasnt a complete pass through.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by slownsteady22 View Post
    Thats awesome congrats. I am suprised it wasnt a complete pass through.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    It was a very mild load and he was quartering away. These are also hollow pint and segmented.

NO need for further testing,,, it works! Pretty devastating round!

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master
    Yep, not cooking that heart.
    QUIS CUSTODIET IPSOS CUSTODES?

Vendor Sponsor

Congrats to your son and to you. he should be hooked on deer hunting now. Looks like the slugs performed perfectly for the job
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Grand Master

Congrats to your son and you! Great shooting and terrific slug performance.

I'll have to try that method of screwing wags to slugs. It certainly seems to be working for you!

Your son and that Botfly did the job alright!

Longbow

Boolit Master

Awesome, congratulations!!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

USMC 77, USRA 79

Wow Leon!!!! what an awesome load, development, and that moment with your son is completely awesome.. i love the face paint...
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Rcmaveric View Post
    Awesome, congratulations!!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    Thanks y’all. This slug is only moving around 1300 FPS. I’ve gotten up to 1550 with it.

I maintain that most of these slugs perform best around 1300 fps. I see no need to run them any faster. All my best groups with the STI slugs have been between 1250 and 1275 fps from the rifled barrel, and the Lyman slugs are loaded to the same velocity range and perform very well at 50 to 75 yards in the smoothbore barrel.

A quick reminder,,, you are firing a .73 caliber 500 grain slug at 12-1300 fps. The Taylor Knock Out value for that is 67.7! For comparison a .458 Win Mag with a 500 gr bullet at 2150 fps is only 70? Size matters alot.

What would you rather shoot at a Texas Buck? Or any other Buck or Elk or Moose, or Black Bear, Brown Bear, Grizzly Bear, or Polar Bear,,, or steel target? We could go to Africa but you should have gotten the point by now.

If you need to shoot anything bigger(Dinosaurs?) then you can load the Russian Solid Slugs up to Brenneke Black Magic specs, but I doubt you'll pull the trigger on any of those very many times.

This thread should be a perfect example of just how powerful a 12 ga shotgun can be when loaded with the right ammo..

Randy
    Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 11-10-2019 at 01:37 PM.
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"

Quote Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post
    I maintain that most of these slugs perform best around 1300 fps. I see no need to run them any faster. All my best groups with the STI slugs have been between 1250 and 1275 fps from the rifled barrel, and the Lyman slugs are loaded to the same velocity range and perform very well at 50 to 75 yards in the smoothbore barrel.

Randy
    Well, depends. There are a few exceptions. One the places I hunt, the closest shot I have is 100 yards.

I got a load for that too. Hammerhead slugs. Sub-MOA 100 yard group coming in at 1650 FPS.

Leon: This is the accuracy I have come to expect from the STI Slugs. MY 50 yard group with 23 gr of Unique for 1250 fps is about the same size,,, shot with Iron Sights from my Hastings Rifled barrel on the A5.

I see smoothbores as 60-75 yard guns under most conditions and I see Rifled barrel guns as solid 125 yard and maybe 150 if you have the trajectory sussed out. Of course all this is contingent on your ammo actually performing like the STI slugs do. My Brass inserted STI slugs fly nice and strait too..

A perfect example of ammo NOT performing as advertised was Federal 000 buckshot out of my M500's Vang Comped Barrel last week literally at 15" at 15 yards. This gun normally shoots 00 buck into 4" at 15 yards and 7" at 25 yards. However it sprayed the 000 all over the place. I could only conclude that three neatly stacked layers of 3 balls each launch better than Randomly Dropped 8 Ball loads which will be different every time.

Point being that ammo wasn't a good fit for that gun. Most people who've never heard of this place would not know this and just be satisfied with whatever they could get from their guns with store bought ammo and they wouldn't even try anything new,,, mostly because they'd never hear about it. Not paying attention comes to mind..

You've taken the time to figure out loads that work in your slug guns and the pictures tell the story. I mean the guts of that deer were Literally DESTROYED! A store bought Foster Slug wouldn't do that.

Randy

Leon,

Your son is following in your footsteps. You have done a great job teaching him to shoot and hunt. You are bringing him up a fine young man.

BB

Quote Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post
    Leon: This is the accuracy I have come to expect from the STI Slugs. MY 50 yard group with 23 gr of Unique for 1250 fps is about the same size,,, shot with Iron Sights from my Hastings Rifled barrel on the A5.

I see smoothbores as 60-75 yard guns under most conditions and I see Rifled barrel guns as solid 125 yard and maybe 150 if you have the trajectory sussed out. Of course all this is contingent on your ammo actually performing like the STI slugs do. My Brass inserted STI slugs fly nice and strait too..

A perfect example of ammo NOT performing as advertised was Federal 000 buckshot out of my M500's Vang Comped Barrel last week literally at 15" at 15 yards. This gun normally shoots 00 buck into 4" at 15 yards and 7" at 25 yards. However it sprayed the 000 all over the place. I could only conclude that three neatly stacked layers of 3 balls each launch better than Randomly Dropped 8 Ball loads which will be different every time.

Point being that ammo wasn't a good fit for that gun. Most people who've never heard of this place would not know this and just be satisfied with whatever they could get from their guns with store bought ammo and they wouldn't even try anything new,,, mostly because they'd never hear about it. Not paying attention comes to mind..

You've taken the time to figure out loads that work in your slug guns and the pictures tell the story. I mean the guts of that deer were Literally DESTROYED! A store bought Foster Slug wouldn't do that.

Randy
    I’ve learned a ton from the group over the years. My problem is I have 6 slug guns and been working on tailoring loads for each one.

That’s a love-hate relationship, but I’m sucker for pain.

Quote Originally Posted by bikerbeans View Post
    Leon,

Your son is following in your footsteps. You have done a great job teaching him to shoot and hunt. You are bringing him up a fine young man.

BB
    Thanks brother. I father wasn’t around. He’s doing life in prison and has been locked down since 1979.
    I’ve always said if the Lord blessed me with a son, I’d be the father I’d wished I had.

To be honest, I don’t deserve such a great kid. He’s a straight A student and has a tender heart. He’s just growing too dang fast.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast