Reloading EverythingInline FabricationRepackboxLee Precision
Load DataRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters Supply Wideners
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Is this a reason to buy a S&W Mod 14?

Boolit Master

A K frame with adj sights is a heck of a .38spl. The 14 is great but i'm a 4'' guy, myself. You can't go wrong with a K frame. If the price is right, that is just another reason to invest.........
    JMHO-YMMV
    dd884
    gary@2texastrucks.com
    Gary D. Peek

Boolit Grand Master
    I would certainly purchase it.

I regret selling the one I had. That was about 15 years ago.
    Don Verna

You have a good reason to buy it. Do not hesitate anymore. Buy it.
    regards,

Boolit Master
    The model 14 was really a genuine match revolver and I knew an old bullseye shooter who had multiple targets with the centers shot out. The old bullseye load of 2.7 grains and a 148 grain wadcutter was all he ever fired in his 14. I must admit I have a fondness for the 38 spl. Model 36, model 10, model 14 and model 15. My only 357 magnum is a Colt Trooper MKIII made about 1975. Bought that one on a impulse buy. Very accurate as well. Still tight and hope it stays that way. Colt smiths are getting hard to find. Got lucky and got a bunch of parts like barrel, cylinder assembly and some small parts years back. Years back it was something of a cult following to get a Python or Trooper MKIII barrel on a S&W revolver because supposedly the Colt barrels were tighter in the bore dimensions and the Colt barrel twist supposedly was better for wadcutters. I did see one Trooper MKIII turned into a PPC revolver. Big long slabbed barrel with the Aristocrat sight setup. Was tempted but who knows how many rounds were shot through it and what shape the lock work was in plus the $700 price tag had something to do with it. Jim Clark and family may still do a PPC gun up there in Princton,LA. Last I heard they did them on the model 10. Sorry to wander. Frank

Boolit Master
    They reserved it for me,thanks everyone.

Boolit Buddy
    oh goodness yes. You need that.

Boolit Man
    Very nice, looking for one myself.

Banned
    Petander - that is an excellent gun, I think you will be very pleased with it.

You may want to get some target grips or a Tyler T-grip adaptor for it; I find the factory grip panels to be a bit difficult to live with in DA shooting. Grips are an individual thing and one size does not fit all, so those factory grips may be just fine for you.

If you do decide to replace the grips, hold onto those originals.

Most of the Model 14's I've encountered are works of art. They will put 148-158 grain bullets into little groups with monotonous regularity . As stated earlier, the 148 grain Wadcutter (both the solid type and the hollow based WC) are favorites in the Model 14.

They will also thrive on 158 grain SWC pushed at standard velocities. They really are classic S&W revolvers. .

Boolit Buddy
    "A Mod 15 was too tight for my slug, a better looking Mod 14-3 on the other hand felt almost perfect..."

I recall a similar story involving a little girl and three bears. This thread is a classic example of rationalization supported by enablers, but is a refreshing change from excuses for buying a huge wrist-wrenching magnum revolver to provide protection in the event a rogue elephant shows up on the lawn.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails S&W Model 14.JPG  

“ rogue elephant on the lawn” that is too funny!
    Due to the price of primers, warning shots will no longer be given!

Quote Originally Posted by Wheelguns 1961 View Post
    “ rogue elephant on the lawn” that is too funny!
    I once purchased a 458 Win Magnum for elephant hunting. The elephants immediately left the area.
    Since I had no further use for it, I sold it. Apparently, the elephants still believe I have the rifle since they have not returned.

Petander----You have found a wonderful revolver. Use it regularly. Those were made for shooting.

My cousin has a mid seventies vintage Model 14 that is single action only. He bought it new not knowing it was single action. He won't sell it to me.
    Ky State Director IHMSA
    Hunter Ed Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Drm50 View Post
    I've got three M14 S&Ws P&Rs, one NIB. Both the ones I shoot are tuned for 148gr WCs at 825fps. I've had several others too and they are the Cadillac of 38sp revolvers. No one mentioned price. They are a bit of a sleeper around here too. Hi condition k38s can be had $600-$700. Nice shooters start at $500. There are some 4" K38s that will go higher because of collector value. I also have the forerunner to the K38, a 6" M&P Target which shoots as well. Nothing but cast goes through these revolver at target velocities.
    I’ve never seen a P&R Model 14... pinned yes, but not recessed. Are you sure you don’t have Model 19s?
    "It aint easy being green!"

Banned

i'll take it! when can i pick it up?

Great guns for sure. I have a couple of 6" 14's and won't sell them. I'd love to come across a 4"

Boolit Master
    I have a theory:

Here in Finland we have strict gun laws requiring quite a bit of paperwork,interviews,tests,doctors,time,money,club memberships etc for a permit to buy a handgun. And legal guns are only getting more and more controlled.

That's why people who finally get a permit rather buy a modern million-rounds-a-minute gun than an old fashioned revolver. These are considered old man guns... prices are accordingly low.At 57 I'm old enough to appreciate the accuracy,quality and workmanship of these revolvers. I have had a few since the 90's.

Silhouette is not "in" any more either. I don't understand all this but well,I'm all for accuracy and others can do as they like. If becoming old means buying more old S&W revolvers for low prices,I'm all in! Not to mention casting for these...

I'm referring to era, there is always a nit picker. I got close to 50 S&W revolvers, I think I know the difference between a 14 & 19.

Only two reasons to buy it:

1. You don't own a S&W Model 14.
    2. You do own one and want another.

I'm sure you probably fall in one or the other.

Quote Originally Posted by tazman View Post
    I once purchased a 458 Win Magnum for elephant hunting. The elephants immediately left the area.
    Since I had no further use for it, I sold it. Apparently, the elephants still believe I have the rifle since they have not returned.
    I'm taking my 450/400 hunting again this year in case I see a lion or a rhino.
    I mean why not, most years I see as many lions as I do deer.
    Last edited by cas; 11-10-2019 at 07:27 PM.
    Former cylindersmith.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Petrol & Powder View Post
    You may want to get some target grips or a Tyler T-grip adaptor for it;
    +1.

Don
    NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Boolit Master
    Tyler looks interesting.

I like the original grips,too. There is enough room for my big,fat middle finger without the trigger guard hitting it.

About elephants,I was shooting a 500 S&W today and kept thinking about Mod 14 every now and then. It was getting dark,no elephants,that blinding flash...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast