Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingLoad DataWideners
Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRepackbox
RotoMetals2 Inline Fabrication
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Is this a reason to buy a S&W Mod 14?

It isn't important that the trigger and hammer be the target style. Your gun is perfect the way it is because it suits you and your hands.
    I prefer the standard trigger and hammer for my uses. I get better control with the standard trigger and the standard hammer doesn't catch on things as much as the target hammer does.
    There is no difference in the rest of the gun as far as function.

Boolit Master
    This still has quite a bit of tooling marks. I'll give it a quick diet of J-bullets first.

Boolit Grand Master

"hey honey, i have a bullet in my pocket so i have to buy that revolver right there for it" I'll have to remember that one.

I've got one, it's a piece of art and no, you should never ask that question on this site.

Congrats on the revolver, your going to love it with cast.
    Last edited by jonp; 12-20-2019 at 07:59 AM.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master
    Thank you Jon,

I just sent another hundred downrange. The more I "smooth" this revolver with j-rounds, the more brass I'm getting for loading cast rounds! What's not to like?

Accuracy is here,clays on a snow berm show a lot. I'm still 4" high.

I just noticed that of course my 17/22 has target trigger,hammer and grips. They are HUGE.

Boolit Master
    Just another good day with the 14. Plates @ 75 don't cling as loud as with a 357.

Boolit Buddy
    I'm no fan of cold weather and especially Finland cold, but that place of yours is clearly beautiful!
    Colt's Manufacturing Company Armorer Instructor
    Aimpoint USA L/E Pro Staff
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

Boolit Master

Agreed! It is beautiful. Our Adirondack mountains have some similar views, including black pine and tamerack swamps, and scattered rustic hunting camps akin to the Finnish summer house I guess.

An acquaintance of mine offered to sell me a police .38, you know standard cop gun. I was interested thinking it was a 4” model 10 or better yet a 4” model 15. He finally rembers to dig it out, a model14. A 6” of course. I already have a slew of 6” guns so I passed without asking price. I know he was thinking $2-300 based on conversations the year before.

Yea, I know, I am a dummy.

Model 14 S&W, or any K frame S&W for that matter, is a good revolver to own and shoot.
    I just can't seem to walk past them in the gun store.
    If I can get one for under $400, I can't pass it up.
    I am currently trying to stay out of gun stores because those K frame revolvers have been showing up recently.

Boolit Buddy
    You enabling scoundrels have got me jonesing for a 14 now. I have a 10 cavity H&G #50 mold, a big pile of range scrap and a lead pot that will hold 125 pounds of lead. I just don't have a model 14. I have to work out a little before I start casting with that 10 hole steel mold. It weighs a little more than my 4 and 6 cavity aluminum molds.
    Only left handed guns are interesting!

Boolit Master
    It's been a bit chilly but once you get out there shooting,wearing proper clothing, everything is fine.

Quote Originally Posted by mart View Post
    You enabling scoundrels have got me jonesing for a 14 now. I have a 10 cavity H&G #50 mold, a big pile of range scrap and a lead pot that will hold 125 pounds of lead. I just don't have a model 14. I have to work out a little before I start casting with that 10 hole steel mold. It weighs a little more than my 4 and 6 cavity aluminum molds.
    125 pounds lead pot? Wow.

About H&G #50, yes you need a 14 because you have a #50. I have a four cavity one in a mail,it cleared our customs already. I wanted it because of mod 14. I have a Pro Melt full of almost pure lead and new colours to coat with just came from Hi Tek Joe, Australia.

And a John Wayne movie on TV right now.

Boolit Buddy
    I built the lead pot 25 years ago when I was working for a well driller. We had a short piece of 12 inch casing. Too short to do much with so I welded a bottom on it and have used it for years for making big patches of a particular alloy or for marathon casting sessions. For instance, last week I made 100 pounds of 50/50 linotype and range scrap. I use a turkey fryer burner for heat. Works pretty good. It's nice not to have to stop to melt more lead if I'm casting a lot of bullets. I have a couple of the 10 pound Lee bottom pour and a 20 pound hand pour Lee. I think I'll order a 20 pound bottom pour Lee since I have a few molds that seem to turn out better bullets from a bottom pour than they do from a hand pour.

That's a beautiful 14 you have and congratulations are in order. There is a lot of enjoyment to be had with a mild recoiling revolver and a simple bullseye target or a steel target. The steel target is kind of instant gratification and the bullseye delayed gratification. Both make for a fun day on the range.
    Only left handed guns are interesting!

Boolit Master

I have a .38 model 14....superb firearm
    deadly accurate...handles heavy and light loads equally well...
    light weight and easy to pack
    a fine revolver
    Death to every foe and traitor and hurrah, my boys, for freedom !

Boolit Grand Master
    Petander, since the 32 S&W Long is so popular in Europe for competition, I wouldn’t be surprised if a K-32/Model 16 showed up there. A little free advice; don’t ask on this board whether you should buy it, report how you did buy it and make everyone green with envy. I don’t regret at all completing my “Trifecta” at all, even though I ended up having a recreation of a 16-3 built.

Happy New Year,
    the Green Frog
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Master
    There was more lead and carbon than I thought.

But everything else is very good,alignment,headspace,endshake is 2, gap is 6,nonexistent turning slack when locked... any closer to "vault" feel and it would have to be a solid piece.

Observing all this made me load a bit milder 500 S&W today...

Boolit Master
    Still some old memories.

Dirt in the front is only oil and lint from VFG wads. Carbon / lead in there is old...

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by mart View Post

I was buying my molds in brass. I like how they heat but damned if I want any large ones!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345