Load DataReloading EverythingWidenersTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionInline FabricationRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Is this a reason to buy a S&W Mod 14?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Gebirgsjager View Post
    One needs no excuse to buy a Mod. 14! It's almost obligatory.
    Attachment 251303
    /\ Agreed /\

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Hickory View Post
    If I remember correctly, Froggie had a 22 lr cylinder rechambered to .32 long to close the 32 loop.
    That’s right. Truth to tell I had had the K-22 cylinder in reserve for a couple of years before “the stars aligned.” The limiting factor for the K-32 project was the barrel. Of course, a K-38 donor was no problem.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Master
    I didn't know that "obsolete" 38 Special has such a following.

I tried some 38's in a 357 and liked it. But I rather shoot my 38's in a 38 gun... then I just happened to check those throats in the shop and they fit great,the gun feels great,all this workmanship...well...

I've been planning 38 Special reloading already and grabbed a SWC mold in Ebay.

Banned
    There's a reason the 38 Special cartridge has been with us since 1898.

Just rambling here....... the most accurate "from the box" .38 Special that I ever encountered was actually a Mod. 19 .357 6" barrel. But that was an unusual specimen, I believe, and in general like you noted I'd rather shoot a .38 in a .38. I have around a dozen of them, all S&W or Colt.

Also, the .38 Special is such a really great cartridge because due to it's popularity it is available in so many factory loadings, and lends itself so well to handloading. Also, perhaps of interest, it was designed to replace the .38 Long because of a perceived lack of power, but the Special itself was overshadowed by the .357 Mag. when it was also found wanting in police use. This was eventually corrected by improvements in bullet design and propellants, but the semi-auto pistols had edged out the revolvers. Today, for us hardcore revolver fans, the .38 Special remains popular because loads exist for everything from low recoil target practice to hyper velocity self-defense loads, and everything in between.

I see that you are located in Finland. I wonder if you could tell us a bit about the availability of guns where you live, the variety and types available, and what the requirements are to own firearms and shoot them in your country? What are the storage requirements (if any), and are there any restrictions on ammunition? Are you at all governed by the European Union firearms laws?

I have two shooters in m14 and m19, all 6" guns. For target shooting with WCs I could never get the accuracy of the K38 out of the 19s. I have run into the same thing with M24 vs M29. I just got a new HBWC 44 mold and am going to see if that makes a difference. In 357 I hardly ever shoot my m19s any more. Even though I'm shooting target loads with cast WCs the m27 shoots better for me. In both 19 & 27 I have loaded in 38sp and 357 brass. In 19 it does a little better in 357 cases. In 27 it doesn't seem to matter. This is with 148gr WCs and with various powders.

Man alive. You guys have got me wanting to go burn some powder even more than usual. I have GOT to get this &^*%$ cast off!
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Gebirgsjager View Post

I see that you are located in Finland. I wonder if you could tell us a bit about the availability of guns where you live, the variety and types available, and what the requirements are to own firearms and shoot them in your country? What are the storage requirements (if any), and are there any restrictions on ammunition? Are you at all governed by the European Union firearms laws?
    I'll scratch the surface:

We have a good selection available. The laws are changing all the time,making things more complicated,little by little. EU is coming in and there's a continuing "guns are bad" atmosphere from certain political corners. Just like everywhere else these days. You can get a handgun buying permit / license for an acceptable reason, like being a gun glub member and a hobby/ sports/competition proofing paper from an instructor is required. No handgun hunting here. You can't buy a legal gun (of any kind) for self defence,either. You have to prove your activity every five years,also with every handgun buying application. Proof is certain amount of training within the last two years,signed by a qualified instructor.

Hunting is an acceptable rifle/shotgun reason. Club membership is required,also a big game shooting test for big rifles is becoming required now. It's good, yest is required for moose/whitetail/bear hunt anyway.

No full auto for civilians unless a qualified trad arms collector. Very rare. Hollow point handgun ammo needs a special buying permit. AP can't have for rifles. Suppressors are legal without any paperwork. All this paperwork means appointments,letters,driving,schedule tweaks for the average working man.

Guns have to be stored in proper gun safes at home. Certain codes accepted,they are good safes.Transported in car trunks,not inside.

What else? There is a certain anti-atmosphere, also being a gun owner you really can't get speeding tickets,not to mention get in a fight or any other problem. Gun permits are the first to go. If someone breaks in your house to take your guns,you have to let them take them. Shoot and you will spend life for murder. You really shouldn't show gun or hunt photos in Facebook. May lead to trouble when someone reports "being afraid of you". There have been cases,guns gone.

We have plenty of (dying) shooting ranges,many are unden enviro threats. But things being complicated,young peple rather choose an easier hobby than hunting or firearms related.

I have been active shooter/ hunter since early 90's , things have changed and in some ways the recent paper-filled rules are good because they are fair and clear and the same to everyone. You can get a gun for an acceptable reason.

Of course you pay in every turn. One funny thing: new guns are inspected and CIP proofed right before they go to shops for sale. You get the permit and buy the gun. Next you have to take that gun to police to be inspected. After inspection you get the real permit.

All these little twists make a hobbyist's life full of appointments,driving,mail checking,paying ... But it could be worse and I like it.
    Last edited by Petander; 11-17-2019 at 05:33 PM.

Boolit Master

WOW! And I thought things were bad here in New York State. I hope our governor doesn't read this and get any more ideas.

I recently read a book entitled "The White Sniper". It's the story of Simo Hayha, a sniper in the Winter War with the Soviets in 1939-40. A remarkable story. Apparently shooting & hunting were respected in your country back then. Sadly, the anti-gun attitude in both our countries seams to be taking over. When I grew up here, every school had a rifle club. Those days are long gone.

Sorry to digress off the main topic.

Boolit Master
    If you've never traveled overseas, you have no idea how difficult or impossible firearm usage is. When I was in Ukraine this year, a police officer told me of how one of his fellow officers was knifed and then shot the guy. Upon being released from the hospital, the officer was taken to prison. We are truly blessed.

Don
    NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Alstep View Post
    WOW! And I thought things were bad here in New York State. I hope our governor doesn't read this and get any more ideas.

I recently read a book entitled "The White Sniper". It's the story of Simo Hayha, a sniper in the Winter War with the Soviets in 1939-40. A remarkable story. Apparently shooting & hunting were respected in your country back then. Sadly, the anti-gun attitude in both our countries seams to be taking over. When I grew up here, every school had a rifle club. Those days are long gone.

Sorry to digress off the main topic.
    back in the late 50's to early 60's i'd take my cased .22 rifle on the bus to school, for rifle team practice and matches. the rulers of the world know that the firearm is the Great Equalizer that they fear most, so it makes perfect sense they have 'em, we won't. just a matter of time and the proof is in the progress that's been made in the last 50 years worldwide to that effect.

having been through pretty much the gamut of popular handgun types and cartridges, i've come to realize and appreciate the value and worth of the "lowly" .38spl cartridge, and guns that are expressly chambered for them alone. i have one and soon i'll have two, both S&Ws.

Petander- Thank you very much for taking the time to answer my questions, and for doing so very comprehensively. Your situation is very interesting. As you are no doubt aware we have 50 states in our country, and all 50 have different firearms laws with some being more restrictive than others. Although it seems like the walls are closing in on us, I'm thankful that we (and you) are still able to pursue our hobby.

DG

Boolit Master
    I'm interested in The World. The Humankind and nature,everything. I follow things.

I have lived in NYC,Brazil,India... travelled quite a bit,too. I then settled down here in the countryside, now The World can be reached from a hammock with a smartphone.

There was a small gun board called "Shooter's Legacy" in 2000-2004 or so. I miss some folks,we were sending things back and forth,molds,knives etc.

But now I'm rambling. Life is good.

Boolit Master
    Now look what the cat dragged in, a NEI 358/145 GC. I'm thinking Mod 14 coated without GC. Might try GC for carbine loads. Nice to have options.

I thought I was buying a used mold but this is like new.

Banned
    That's a nice mold.
    You don't need a gas check for a 38 Special (in fact you rarely need a GC for any revolver bullet) but if it shoots well for you - great!

A SWC that runs around 150-160 grains is about as close as you can get to a "universal" bullet in 38 Special.
    Some folks claim the round nose types are more accurate than the SWC due to the RN design helping to align the cylinder as the bullet enters the forcing cone. I'm not sure I buy into that explanation. I've had good results from the "Keith" style SWC types and never saw an improvement with the RN types. YMMV

I shot a ton of Speer Hollow Based Wadcutters [HBWC] before I started casting my own and that swaged bullet performed very well. When I started casting, I went on a search for a wadcutter design. Most of the clones of the H&G #50 seem to be about equal. The RCBS 38-148WC produces a great WC bullet that runs 153-155 grains with my alloy and shoots well. The 2 cavity restriction of RCBS molds is a bit of a pain but that's the price you pay for that great RCBS quality.

My favorite 38 Special bullet has become the SAECO 382 in a four cavity mold. I think any SWC of that same weight and design will excel in a S&W chambered in 38 Special. After all of these years, most of the secrets concerning the 38 Special have been uncovered.

If you haven't read Glen Fryxell's, "From Ingot to Target: A Cast Bullet Guide for Handgunners", I can HIGHLY recommend it.

The lee 158 grn rnfp is available in 6 cavity and works well in revolvers and levers.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Master
    I've had that Lee mold for years,it's the old flat base version.

Just wanted to try a GC design,even though I may never need the checks... and couldn't pass this mold/handles/checks -package.

I'm just breaking it in, not perfect bullets yet but nothing major,only the tiny seam.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Casey View Post
    I would want one with target trigger and hammer.
    Got it today. Aren't these target versions?

An extremely well balanced shooting experience. Steel was ringing good!

Quote Originally Posted by Petander View Post
    Got it today. Aren't these target versions?

An extremely well balanced shooting experience. Steel was ringing good!

I am sorry, but no, those are not the target hammer, target trigger, or target grips. Here is a picture of hat the target versions should look like.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	resized27500001.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	38.6 KB 
ID:	253268Click image for larger version. 

Name:	resized27500002.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	41.8 KB 
ID:	253269
    Notice how much wider both the trigger and hammer are than yours. Also the grips are larger and fill the space between the trigger guard and grip differently.
    Important to note that the target hammer, trigger, grip combination do not improve the accuracy of the gun. They only change the feel of the gun in your hand.
    The standard trigger, hammer, and grip that you have work just as well as the other style.
    Your revolver is a fine example of a Model 14 S&W and should serve you well. It is obviously accurate as proven by your results.
    It is in considerably better shape than the one I just purchased.

Boolit Master
    Now I see,thank you Tazman.

I knew the grip isn't a "target" version,funny that the standard trigger feels wider than it is because of those grooves. I like these grips even though they are small... but they suit this gun.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast