Reloading EverythingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Wideners
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Is this a reason to buy a S&W Mod 14?

Long ago one came to us cheaply, courtesy of being rescued from a house fire. The bluing was peppered a bit and the edges of the Target grips were charcoaled a bit. Still safe and functional, brother had it bead blasted and GunKoted it. A pair of Pachymayr grips, and you could put a hole in a hole with any decent ammo. I killed a couple of called-in Rio Grande toms with it and for a few years we took rabbits, squirrels, and even some prairie dogs with that amazing gun. I just hope that whoever got it from eldest brother appreciates it. I sure did. I share your fondness for the standard grip.

Boolit Buddy
    Is there a reason to NOT buy a S&W mod 14?
    NRA Life 1992
    My avatar is almost a dead ringer for my little buddy Chico. Six pounds of mean that thought he was a Pit Bull. Miss that little guy.

Boolit Bub
    I have a late 60's vintage Model 14. I got it from a club member for a fair price. He saw me shooting my 6" Model 66 and asked if I might be interested another revolver....uh, yeah. If I ran into the same deal today I'd buy a second one.

Over the years I've had oh so many 6" .357/.38 revolvers of various makes but mostly S&W's with a sprinkling of every other brand. I've found the cylinder throats to be at least a bit on the tight side in all but one. I have a Taurus that's way oversized (.360+. My pin gauges stop at .360, so it might be worse!). The aforementioned Model 14 had the tightest throats I've ever seen on a .38 revolver ...0.3550-.03555. That might account for the fact that it had a bit of leading in the barrel for a gun that looked like it hadn't had more than a couple of hundred rounds through it.

Fortunately years ago I bought a throat reamer with pilots from Brownells. I've used it a dozen times. It has paid for itself compared to shipping the cylinder off to have it done and is an easy-to-do project.

Banned

dolt that i am, i sure regret selling off my 14-2 ...

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Petander View Post
    3K47xxx Mod 14-3.

Can you find date/info? I forgot to ask in the shop,they often can track past sales.

I don"t know what is happening but I enjoy shooting revolvers and casting from them so much these days...
    From my notes it looks as though it was made in 1971. Pinned barrel, fine looking Model 14. Ne plus ultra of fine 38 Special Smith target revolvers. I would bet the trigger pull is less than 3 1/2 pounds. I have a Model 15 of similar vintage; I put away the factory stocks and use a set of Pachmayr Professional Grippers on mine for shooting.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	model15-3 001.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	31.1 KB 
ID:	251076
    Last edited by JoeJames; 11-12-2019 at 11:48 AM.

I would only own two S&W revolvers if had my choice of all, the Model 14 is one, and the Model 17 is the only other, I would bet both in Target configuration, with 6" barrels! K-38 and K-22 Masterpiece,, that says it all!

The 2 very best revolvers they ever made in my opinion!

Quote Originally Posted by wildcatter View Post
    I would only own two S&W revolvers if had my choice of all, the Model 14 is one, and the Model 17 is the only other, I would bet both in Target configuration, with 6" barrels! K-38 and K-22 Masterpiece,, that says it all!

As it happens, I own those two revolvers, as well as others of course. The K38 target masterpiece I own predates the model 14 by a couple of years. The 17 is a -3.
    They are easily the most accurate revolvers I own.
    The rest are close seconds. I have no intention of selling any of them.
    I took most of the 38/357 revolvers to the range today and put 350 rounds downrange. I was testing different powders under a 158 grain RNFP coated boolit. Turned out, there was little to choose between the different loads.
    One powder was slightly more accurate in the majority of the revolvers than the rest. I hate to even mention it since I have never heard of anyone using it for 38 special. Winchester Super Handicap.
    It worked a treat in all the revolvers.

Boolit Master

This thread needs a cat pic. And a Model 17.

I've sold an AK and AR this year.And a nice 9mm carbine. I don't know where my timer is... it's just single ,accurate shots that are interesting now. And much more relaxing.

It's never too late for a reality check.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by walnut1704 View Post
    I have a late 60's vintage Model 14. I got it from a club member for a fair price. He saw me shooting my 6" Model 66 and asked if I might be interested another revolver....uh, yeah. If I ran into the same deal today I'd buy a second one.

Over the years I've had oh so many 6" .357/.38 revolvers of various makes but mostly S&W's with a sprinkling of every other brand. I've found the cylinder throats to be at least a bit on the tight side in all but one. I have a Taurus that's way oversized (.360+. My pin gauges stop at .360, so it might be worse!). The aforementioned Model 14 had the tightest throats I've ever seen on a .38 revolver ...0.3550-.03555. That might account for the fact that it had a bit of leading in the barrel for a gun that looked like it hadn't had more than a couple of hundred rounds through it.

Fortunately years ago I bought a throat reamer with pilots from Brownells. I've used it a dozen times. It has paid for itself compared to shipping the cylinder off to have it done and is an easy-to-do project.
    Yeah if there's anything I don't hesitate to pick up it's a "K" at a good price. I don't have any of the blued guns but I've got a brace of 66es and love em both. I like the 2.5" -5 better but the 3" -1 is actually a fairly rare piece as it was an order item for the Michigan State Police from my understanding. As was the S&W Model 38 (no dash) with a stainless cylinder that I have. If I ever do sell it would likely have to be as a pair. Supposedly the big gun would be on the side and the j-frame would be in a cross draw holster. I wish I could find a pic of the getup but I haven't found one on Google yet. I should start a thread I bet someone here would be the type that would have something like that.

Boolit Grand Master

In my “herd” two of my favorite and most used revolvers are a late ‘40s K-22 and a K-38 of the same vintage. The third member of my beloved trinity is a K-32 custom built on a Model 14-3 that had the barrel and cylinder replaced as needed for the caliber change and virtually nothing else done. S&W had a word for them, and that word is “Masterpiece.”

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

I own several S&W's and the Model 14 is among my favorite shooter!

Boolit Master

"I want" is all you need.

Petander, you need never ask "should " of we enablers here. Our answer will always be-of course you should. Especially when it looks a clean as the one you have found. How long before you can have it? I belong to the K crowd as well. I have a K-38 and a K-22, both pre 14 and 17 guns and they will both shoot better that I can...a LOT better. Count me in for the original factory grips as well. Like you, I was surprised at the price as opposed to magnum revolvers. I traded a Ruger Security Six for the K-22 and paid $325 for the K-38, but that doesn't matter now because they are home now.Attachment 251258Attachment 251259
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Master
    Excellent enabling indeed,thanks everyone! Sweet revolvers!

Paperwork should take 2-3 weeks.

My old mod 66 was back in the shop today. Like I wrote above,revolvers are not in high demand around here. I personally think my selfloader phase is passing... I don't even know where my timer is right now.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by murf205 View Post
    Petander, you need never ask "should " of we enablers here. Our answer will always be-of course you should. Especially when it looks a clean as the one you have found. How long before you can have it? I belong to the K crowd as well. I have a K-38 and a K-22, both pre 14 and 17 guns and they will both shoot better that I can...a LOT better. Count me in for the original factory grips as well. Like you, I was surprised at the price as opposed to magnum revolvers. I traded a Ruger Security Six for the K-22 and paid $325 for the K-38, but that doesn't matter now because they are home now.Attachment 251258Attachment 251259
    A K-22 and a K-38 for a Security Six and $325? You must be living right!

As I said in my previous post, my K-22 and K-38 are early post-War, but it's hard to go wrong with any of them. They were always well built and as a result the accuracy and good handling came naturally. Like you, my 22 and 38 both proudly wear their original, numbered grips. The Model 14-3 I bought to build my recreated Model 16-3 came with a particularly ugly set of grips by Goodyear, so it currently wears a pair of Altamont replica Ropers.

Froggie

I can't blame you for wanting a model 16 but re-creating one would be the only way I could afford one. The guy that I traded the Security Six with had a big back pack full of older S&W's wrapped up in cloth rags. He told me that they were his grandfathers!! No family allegiance there. I found a mod 28 Hiway Patrolman 6" for $350 and the K38 at the same show. I was tapped out of cash but there were bargains to be had, never fails when you are out of $.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by murf205 View Post
    I can't blame you for wanting a model 16 but re-creating one would be the only way I could afford one. The guy that I traded the Security Six with had a big back pack full of older S&W's wrapped up in cloth rags. He told me that they were his grandfathers!! No family allegiance there. I found a mod 28 Hiway Patrolman 6" for $350 and the K38 at the same show. I was tapped out of cash but there were bargains to be had, never fails when you are out of $.
    The number of bargains I encounter in any given situation is inversely proportional to the amount of cash in my pocket.

I’ve tried to plan ahead. I’ve tried to keep a “slush fund” hidden in my wallet. I’ve tried a variety of other strategies, but the physical law stated above always seems to come back to haunt me. I think a guy named Murphy has something to do with it!

OTOH the stars will sometimes align and the amount of cash on hand becomes insignificant... your trade of a R*g*r for a K-22 is a perfect example.

The impetus for my faux Model 16-3 build was an e-mail from someone I didn’t know on the S&W Forum offering me an original NOS barrel for it at a give-away price. It was so cheap I even volunteered to pay the shipping! Of course this was only the beginning of what the project cost, but that’s how I was able to get the K-32 to complete the trio.

Froggie

One needs no excuse to buy a Mod. 14! It's almost obligatory.
    Attachment 251303

Quote Originally Posted by Green Frog View Post
    The number of bargains I encounter in any given situation is inversely proportional to the amount of cash in my pocket.

I’ve tried to plan ahead. I’ve tried to keep a “slush fund” hidden in my wallet. I’ve tried a variety of other strategies, but the physical law stated above always seems to come back to haunt me. I think a guy named Murphy has something to do with it!

OTOH the stars will sometimes align and the amount of cash on hand becomes insignificant... your trade of a R*g*r for a K-22 is a perfect example.

The impetus for my faux Model 16-3 build was an e-mail from someone I didn’t know on the S&W Forum offering me an original NOS barrel for it at a give-away price. It was so cheap I even volunteered to pay the shipping! Of course this was only the beginning of what the project cost, but that’s how I was able to get the K-32 to complete the trio.

Froggie
    Speaking of the stars aligning, yours must have been all lined up when you found the cylinder for that project.
    As for as the guy named Murphy, I wish they had named that law after someone else!
    David Murphy

Boolit Master

If I remember correctly, Froggie had a 22 lr cylinder rechambered to .32 long to close the 32 loop.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast