Reloading EverythingInline FabricationWidenersLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Load Data Titan Reloading

Thread: anyone have experience with any of the henry single shot rifles?

Boolit Master

anyone have experience with any of the henry single shot rifles?

Looked over the single shot rifles that Henry is making. So does anyone have any experiences with them? Pro's or con's Thanks Frank

Banned

Quite a bit of talk about them on the single shot section of the forum. They look good, though I haven't shot one yet.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...al-Impressions

Banned

Good lookin wood on the few that I've sold in the LGS and a local pawn shop I work at. Haven't shot any yet. I personally prefer 1874 Sharps to be honest!

Boolit Master
    I have one in .357.

It's shooting really well now,
    but it took some work to get there.

For sure, read the pages of comments
    in the 'single shot' section to see what
    others have done to break them in.

I think it's a bargain at under 400 bucks.

Boolit Master
    Thanks guys appreciate the info. Frank

Boolit Master
    I have 3 of them, a .223, .243, &30/30. I scoped the first two, and both shoot 3/4" groups at 100 yds, the 30/30 does duty as a all around truck/atv gun, and does anything I want it to out to 150yds just fine with iron sights. I did change the front sight out for one that is the same height, but about 3x smaller diameter bead. I also made a new insert for the rear sight, and used machinist files to make the smaller notch, cut the groups in half. There is a lot on here about changing springs, to get a better trigger, and I went that route, started getting misfires. Instead I put the factory springs back in after going over everything with a fine stone, and ended up wth 3.5-4.0# triggers that are smooth and break nicely. Holler back if I can be of any help.

Boolit Buddy
    I have the 223/556,and while it is very accurate it does have a heavy trigger..I have never had a misfire,and have shot several hundred rounds,and the checkering is very sharp,and the grain is nice on the wood.If I had to do it over again I would opt for a heavier caliber though because the butt stock is way too low combed for a scope.I ended up putting one of those black elastic ammo sleeves on mine and slipped a well taped piece of split plastic pipe under it to deal with this issue.I like the compactness of the single shots,and have 3 one CVA compact Hunter 7mm08(real short,and great trigger) that I love,and one Rossi 308/12gauge that I hate.The Rossi is in Florida now getting repaired due to misfires.The Henry is by far the best quality,and is pretty classy for a break action,but I favor the CVA.