Lee PrecisionWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Reloading Everything Repackbox

Thread: Need 405 Winchester brass for my 1885 High Wall & loads for 300 gr lead bullets

Boolit Mold

Need 405 Winchester brass for my 1885 High Wall & loads for 300 gr lead bullets

I am looking for 405 Winchester brass for my 1885 High Wall. I do not care what brand. I only have a few empty cases at this point as I recently got the rifle.

I would like to hear of some good loads with standard large rifle primers that would work for the Quigley Shoot this year....I understand the targets run about 350-850 yards.

I have some 5744 rifle powder, but most of my powders are mainly pistol or shotgun.... think SASS.
    I also have Pyrodex FF and Triple 7 FF.

Any help would be appreciated.

I believe this is my first post.

oldlawman

Not a moderator or anyone in authority(and I like being a peon!) but I suspect this should be in the swapping and selling.

And I'm impressed, 1 post in 10 years.

I can't keep my mouth shut that much. And there's been a few(well maybe more than a few) that I would have been better served by being a little more reticent with my opinions

Quote Originally Posted by 15meter View Post
    Not a moderator or anyone in authority(and I like being a peon!) but I suspect this should be in the swapping and selling.

And I'm impressed, 1 post in 10 years.

I can't keep my mouth shut that much. And there's been a few(well maybe more than a few) that I would have been better served by being a little more reticent with my opinions
    I think if he's looking for load data it's in the right place. Just because he started out asking about brass shouldn't mean it should be moved.

Brass from Hornady was a God send when it was readily available. But that's dried up, so your only option now is to look on Gunbroker for brass. It shows up occasionally, but not cheap like it was when Hornady sold it.
    As for mild loads in the BP range level, I prefer 4198 myself. I use several bullet weights depending on the distance I'm shooting. I have molds for RCBS CSA in 350 and 400 grain, plus a Lyman Snover that's a 420 gr. For my 420 gr. Snover bullet I use IMR4198 at 23.0 grs. and it's 1260 fps. and under 13,000 psi chamber pressure. Works well out to 1000 yds. for my guns.

Not exactly Quigley Shoot kind of loads but this info deserves to be brought back to the top of the pile occasionally.

https://www.castpics.net/subsite2/By...er%20Loads.pdf

I would print it out or download it if you can, Castpics seems to have become quite static. I have concerns that it may disappear one of these days and take a whole bunch of valuable info with it.

For me in the 45-70, I magnumized the 45-70 load by going all the way up to 4.4 grains of Clays. 200 yards, aim about 12 feet above the dinger, pull the trigger, pull the gun down off your shoulder and wait for it!

Boolit Man
    Its a little short, but 303 british fire forms into usable brass. 3 tenths of an inch short.

Boolit Master
    Possibly 30/40 Krag as well, a bit longer than 303 Brit.

Both .303 British, and .30-40 Krag are way too short to use in a .405 Win. I wont even use either in my guns chambered in .40-70SS that are closer in length than the .405 is. That's way too short for me to want to have that much chamber exposed beyond the case mouth.
    BACO does sell stretched .30-40 or .303 brass for the .40-70SS, but not sure they stretch it far enough to fit a .405 though?