MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLoad DataInline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingWideners
Reloading Everything Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A much better way to clean brass.

I bought a used Frankford Arsenal Rotating Tumbler both because I found it used at a good price and because buying and owning a FART makes me smile when I think of it.

I still tumble some brass after wet tumbling in dry media with a dash of mineral spirits and some Nu-Finish wax for long term storage. For those who don't want to take on more equipment (weird but I guess someone out there might not drool over new tools and such) A simple 5 gallon bucket and some lemi-shine or other citric acid bath before putting in the vibrating tumbler with dry media can make a big difference in how the brass comes out.

Too much citric acid or sitting in citric acid too long will turn brass pink. Removes the surface zinc I think it is and leave the copper so brass looks pink. Overnight is a big no-no. I generally stay at less than 3 hours and less citric acid than you think you need. A couple of spoons worth dumped into 3 gallons of water works fine.

The wet tumbling gives me clean cases inside and out with clean primer pockets. I presume cleaning those areas will reduce or set back tarnishing and corrosion in those areas. Having brass clean inside and out is a win as far as I'm concerned.

I have a window box fan. I set it pointed at a towel on the floor. I dump brass there. Come back later brass is dry. FART has a grill end piece that allows me to shake the pins and excess water out of the brass.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Buddy
    I had a long history of confusing cleaning with polishing media...
    Dump in the vibrator and run for countless hours, get media busted to dust and plugged up by the grimy range crud.

Soap & water most times, pins/chips if they are tarnished/corroded, usually clean in 20-30 minutes,
    Tip the mixer down with a screen on the mouth, tumble out water,

Dump walnut shell right in on damp brass and run another 10-15 minutes, dry with no water spots,
    Tip mixer down and screen out walnut.

Throw in sponges with case lube or wax, depending on storage or processing, tumble a few more minutes and dump into buckets for storage or processing.

Not confusing cleaning (soap & water), with scrubbing/scouring (pins/chips), with polishing (dry media), and coatings (wax, lube) saves a bunch of time when you do a bunch.
    Cement mixer runs mouth down so you can tumble water/dry media out of the cases with a screen over the mouth.
    Dry media dries without supervision if it gets too wet,
    Those long, inexpensive plastic cement trays work well for catch bins and they stack to store.

Depends on the volume you do,
    My first try at wet washing was a plastic 1/2 gallon thermos that leaked at the spout, so I threw some brass, soap & water in it and rolled it around the yard with my foot for about 10 minutes.
    That convinced me to go bigger and spend some money on it.

Quote Originally Posted by JeepHammer View Post

.....Depends on the volume you do,

My first try at wet washing was a plastic 1/2 gallon thermos that leaked at the spout, so I threw some brass, soap & water in it and rolled it around the yard with my foot for about 10 minutes.
    First time I ever heard a guy use a leaking thermos as a reason for buying big tools at Harbor Freight. Just saying I can't even imagine getting half way through that explanation to wife as to why I came home with a cement mixer before she rolls her eyes and walks away shaking her head as she goes to Google "involuntary commitment".
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Typical results using Thumlers Tumbler, 1 ounce of auto wash and wax together with 1/4 TSP Lemi-Shine.

Bayou52
    Bayou52
    NRA Life Member
    "Keep Calm and Reload"

All good advice. 1hole I should have tried that. it took a good bit of effort to knock 500 rounds apart with that heavy crimp. setting at my bench and banging that hammer off the concrete floor, when the puller broke and i looked at the end of the hammer and it was gone, looking around I didn't see it, seemed like 20 seconds (sure it was less) then I heard it banging off the floor and washing machine across the room. glad no one could see me, I must had a very strange look on my face as i thought how did it get all the way to the other side of the room without hitting the ceiling. thanks Guys.

Quote Originally Posted by JeepHammer View Post
    I had a long history of confusing cleaning with polishing media...
    Dump in the vibrator and run for countless hours, get media busted to dust and plugged up by the grimy range crud.

Soap & water most times, pins/chips if they are tarnished/corroded, usually clean in 20-30 minutes,
    Tip the mixer down with a screen on the mouth, tumble out water,

Dump walnut shell right in on damp brass and run another 10-15 minutes, dry with no water spots,
    Tip mixer down and screen out walnut.

Throw in sponges with case lube or wax, depending on storage or processing, tumble a few more minutes and dump into buckets for storage or processing.

Not confusing cleaning (soap & water), with scrubbing/scouring (pins/chips), with polishing (dry media), and coatings (wax, lube) saves a bunch of time when you do a bunch.
    Cement mixer runs mouth down so you can tumble water/dry media out of the cases with a screen over the mouth.
    Dry media dries without supervision if it gets too wet,
    Those long, inexpensive plastic cement trays work well for catch bins and they stack to store.

Depends on the volume you do,
    I'd like to see how you attach a screen over the mouth of your mixer, please!

I've wet tumbled cases that are so dirty they leave a scum on the pins and the inside of the rock polisher and the cases have a film of grime on them. Now I clean the pins and the tumbler with a fairly mild solution of purple cleaner after several batches of cases have been run through it. The purple cleaner cuts the oil and grime and leaves the pins bright and the drum clean.

Boolit Master

I used citric acid with Blue Coral W & W for a while. Noticed The batches started coming out greasy, same with the tumbler barrel & pins. Liquid dish soap took care of that. It’s made to dissolve grease & oil. Now the W&W goes in the rinse water before separating pins from brass.
    I dry mine in the sun, made several boards with rows of plastic pins on one slide. After rolling the brass sea-saw style in a towel to get most water off & out of brass, i invert the cases on pins & leave in the sun for 30-45 minutes.

Boolit Master
    With car wash 'n wax plus citric acid, the cases get decently clean w/o the pins (hint: really hot water helps the cleaning action). While I allow it looks nice, I don't need the case interiors and primer pockets to look like factory fresh unfired brass, and it saves me the time and hassle of separating the pins.

I second a quick run through a towel hammock after tumbling out most of the water in a rotary media separator, and finishing with air drying in the sun. The first two steps eliminate water spots (if that matters to you). ;^]

Boolit Master
    Forgive my ignorance, but what's purple cleaner, LaPoint?

Gallon of Water / 3 tbls Wash & Wax / 1/4 tbls Lemi Shine / 1 tbls Cream of Tartar brass shines like a diamond in a goats *** dry on plastic peg board from HD

Boolit Master
    Where did you get the stainless pins? The local Harbor Freight doesn't carry it.

They do have glass bead tumbling media, or so the gal on the phone said. Anyone ever used that?

Banned
    Use the Pins, most deprime before wet tumbling so the primer pockets get clean and the cases dry faster. I got my pine online

With a little work, you can make your own wet tumbler for not much money.

My first - basic wood design
    then a metal frame

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by kevin c View Post
    Forgive my ignorance, but what's purple cleaner, LaPoint?
    I assume he is referring to this https://www.clean-rite.com/
    quando omni flunkus moritati

Quote Originally Posted by kenton View Post
    I assume he is referring to this https://www.clean-rite.com/
    Yeah, that's powerful stuff! I use it for stripping gunstocks.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GhostHawk View Post
    Citric Acid works! Lemishine, dollar store fruit fresh, some hot water, drop or 2 of dawn and brass comes out clean inside and out.

Also no media stuck in primer pockets.

I have not tumbled or vibratory polished brass since I first learned about Citric Acid. Perfect, maybe not, close enough. Well it is for me. YMMV
    Amen! Citric acid, Lemishine and Dawn in a bucket of hot tap water fo 30 minutes.

Boolit Master
    I take a plastic coffee can with a lid and put 1 teaspoon of Lemishine in. Take the wifes 5cup measuring cup and bring it to a boil in the microwave then pour it in the lemishine add the brass and snap the lid on. When water is luke warm I pull the grass out and use another coffee can to give it 3 clean water rinses, shake it out and set it out to dry. Brass comes out clean, shinny and will still bite the chamber walls when your running max loads. I used to get it squeaky clean and slippery shinny but found out that wasn't doing so well for me.
    Last edited by Iowa Fox; 11-15-2019 at 04:22 PM.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by jjed View Post
    the wife decided she wanted a carry pistol, so we bought a glock 43 and a bulldog carry purse. And we have been going shooting so she can get use to the new gun. But i wanted to use reloads for that, but after tumbling the brass with dry media the cases still had so much dust on them they made her hands dirty (and she didn't like that) so i decided to try wet tumbling. I don't reload a lot of cases at a time so i went the cheap route and bought a harbor freight rock tumbler for $47.00 and $15.00 worth of stainless steel pins, after tumbling i put them in a toaster oven i bought at a thrift store for $5.00 to dry them, worked much better than i thought it would. It worked so good i thought i would try it on some of the worst looking brass i had. 4 or 5 years ago at a flea market i picked up 500 rounds of 1950's 30-06 ammo that was in a canvas bag stored in a very damp place, some of the most crusty stuff i have ever seen, but i wanted them for the boolits, knocked them apart, tumbled the boolits and i am still using them in my m1. (broke 1 boolit puller in the process). A dash of lemi shine, dawn soap and hot water wow. Sorry the pic's are not in order, still trying to figure that out, but you get the idea.
    Attachment 250855Attachment 250856Attachment 250857Attachment 250858Attachment 250859
    nice!

Boolit Man
    Hate to say this but the SS pins do very little other than eat up space in your tumbler. Just for giggles. Try running a load of brass without them and see if the difference is worth the expense of the SS pins.

Boolit Mold
    The expense and the hassle. I don’t use pins when wet tumbling.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast