Lee PrecisionInline FabricationTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
RepackboxReloading EverythingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners RotoMetals2

Thread: Trip to Front Sight for Rifle Class with Ruger PCC .40.

Trip to Front Sight for Rifle Class with Ruger PCC .40.

Just got back from a trip to Front Sight with my Ruger PCC.40 Carbine.

The gun performed well, and it is now officially Broken In.

.40 caliber holes are much easier to see on a target than .22 sized holes.

Controlled pairs are easy to get off as are head shots. My bore to sight offset is <1" at 7-15 yards dead on at 25. My sight in group 5 shots at 50 yards off a rest was <1.5" with a Red Dot Optic.

I used all 4 of my Glock 22 round mags, and I had one that would stovepipe a round every so often (it now has a big X on it) but once I figured out how to lock the bolt open with my left thumb (thanks Mr. Reid) I was good to go and could run the gun as fast or faster than any of the AR's in the class.

The class had 22 people with 1 AK, my gun, and the rest AR's. I had to fight Management a little to get in the class and they said I couldn't take the test with the gun. Then I found out they were letting M1 CArbines in the class and I made a stink big time.

The .40 S&W out of a 16" bbl has 2.5X the Knockdown Power (TKO) of the .30 cal Carbine, and even 9mm rounds are almost 1.5X TKO over the .30 Carbine..

I sent a note to Piazza about this and will share it when he responds. Too many of these guns out there to ignore just because they are "Pistol Caliber" If that's the case then my Marlin 1894 in .44 Magnum would be kept out as well. and since the farthest we shot was 100 yards I see no reason why these guns should be excluded.

All the instructors were interested in and duly impressed with the gun and I am hoping for some movement from Management.

I burned up about 300 rounds in the 3 days we were in that class, then we went to a shotgun class for another two days.

A great time was had by all. You guys should go, as the weather is Perfect right now.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master
    Didn't realize Ruger brought the PCC out in 40 S&w. I have a 10.5" 40 s&w upper for my Glock mag AR that I very much prefer to my 9mm upper.... especially with the can.

I love pistol caliber carbines it's pretty eye opening shooting extended range with them.
    Doug
    .................................................. ........................................
    Sticks and stones may break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

Taxidermists are cheaper than surgeons....keep shooting

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Some people measure success in Minutes of Angle

Yes off a rest I can hit a 200 yard steel target just about every time and off hand a few times out of 10.

The gun is about 1.5-2" at 50 yards with the Red Dot Sight and I'm sure that would tighten up with a Scope Mounted. The gun is plenty accurate for its intended purpose, which is 3gun or other steel target shooting or as a back up for a Cop with a .40 cal Glock.

The gun is easy to handle despite its 6 lb 13 oz weight and I got used to it quickly well before this trip and more so afterwards The weight is similar to any of the PC AR's out there.

The only thing I have left to do on this gun is to mount Magpul Style Sling Swivel Sockets on the stock and forend. Midway sells some that only allow 90 degrees of rotation and are threaded on the outside so they thread right into the hole you drill. $7.50 a pair,,, Far superior to the Magpul version which doesn't limit rotation and costs about $20 each.

I used the standard sling attachments for this trip and carried the gun strong side muzzle up. I prefer the cross body carry as it is much less fatiguing and much easier to control when standing around waiting to shoot. My Homemade 1.5" wide slings work best on all my guns.

Randy
    Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 11-12-2019 at 02:44 PM.
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

WR, I really like your Auto 5. Where did you get the extended magazine tube?
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.