RepackboxWidenersSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Inline FabricationLee Precision
Reloading Everything Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: brass polishing compound dried up

brass polishing compound dried up

I was going through my stash of questionable value and found a bottle of Frankford Arsenal brass polishing liquid that is not quite liquid any more. It has not completely dried and is a heavy slush. Any suggestion as to what to re-liquify it with? I'm not too cheap (well maybe) to buy another bottle but in my area, there are no LSG stores that carry it and I'd have to order it.
    Murf
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Master
    You could try a little mineral sprirts. That is what I do. Check the ingredients. Try on a small sample.
    swamp
    Last edited by swamp; 11-07-2019 at 09:39 PM.
    There is no problem so great, that it cannot be solved by the proper application of high explosives.

Boolit Grand Master

Maybe you can use it as is. the thinner is a carrier is all. a little less each use to account for the lost solvent.

Boolit Master
    I would use mineral spirits/paint thinner.

Don
    NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Boolit Grand Master

I'll 2nd the mineral spirits.

Boolit Grand Master

Mineral Spirits, not that white water based 'paint thinner'.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master

Let us know what works.
    I have some polish in the same condition....dale

Boolit Grand Master

I had some Frankford Arsenal brass polishing liquid that almost dried up a couple years back. I used mineral spirits in it and a sturdy stirring stick to mix it back up. Then shook it up well each time before using some in cleaning media. It then worked fine as new when cleaning/polishing cases.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Moderator Emeritus

If your container claims "No petroleum distillates",
    Then I'd use 91% Isopropyl Alcohol to dilute it.
    That is what I use to thin out the Automotive polishing compound that I use with tumbling media. I've found thinning it helps getting the media evenly coated and the alcohol component dries faster than MS.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Thanks for the responses. You made me think. In the past I have bought some new brass that had a slightly, very slightly, oily feel and I would think that the factory might have used that. Or...it could have been from the drawing process to form the brass.
    I didn't have any mineral spirits but I did have some charcoal starter liquid that is a first cousin to ms so I added enough to get a slurry after much stirring and shaking. It is still a bit thick so I added some to my corn cob media and ran it for about 10 min. I seemed to mix as well as it did before it dried up. While that was going on I went to the brass stash and found some assorted 44 mag brass that was in the medium dirty range and dumped about 40-50 in the Lyman Turbo tumbler. It's working now and I am going to give it about 1 1/2 hrs and take a peek. We'll see.
    BTW JonB, the bottle did say that it contained NO petroleum distillates--but it does now.
    Last edited by murf205; 11-08-2019 at 03:32 PM.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Here are the before and after pics of the brass after an hr and 15 min in the tumbler. No great revelation, just got the liquid on the corncob media and made it useful again. I would go liquid cleaning if they were not quite so expensive. I looked at the Harbor Freight rig but not impressed.Attachment 250877Attachment 250878Attachment 250879
    I did find a build up of crud in the bottom of the bowl. I think it is time to clean the tumbler!

Boolit Master
    Was that media already used with the polish on prior runs of brass? I ask because I'd get the same heavy build up in my tumbler when I over charged and overused my walnut media. The crud seemed to be a combination of dirt, walnut hull dust and dried polishing compound, and would only come loose after using something like orange oil based grease cutting spray, and even then it would take soaking after spraying, a plastic scouring pad and a generous helping of elbow grease.

It has had the residue there for a while. Since I started this little project with the liquid , I have the feeling that the crud build up is restricting the media action??? At any rate, it will not hurt to clean it out. That's my project for today. I can't cast because I can't stand up. I'm in a wheel chair until the 26th of this month when I get my cast off a broken ankle. Don't want the silver stream on my toes!!

Moderator Emeritus

While I use Iso Alc for thinning the polish that I use, I do get the same looking crud on the bottom of the tumbler (I have the same tumbler, two of them actually). I tried cleaning the bowl with Iso alc, and it would hardly touch that crud. So I tried a few other things...Mineral Spirits and a plastic bristled brush was the only thing that cut the crud easily.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

I can see where mineral spirits is what it is going to take. I have some warm water in the tub right now and it is still pretty well entrenched.

Boolit Master

As said, mineral spirits. Goo Gone works wonders on that tumbler bowl buildup. For future purposes, save your $. NuFinish car polish works just as good at 1/3 the price. There's another even cheaper but I can't recall the brand.

Boolit Master
    Glad to see Hanzy4200 bring up NuFinish. I add a capful of that and a capful of mineral spirits to my walnut media and it works well.

Don
    NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor
    NRA Life Member

I've heard of new finish before and I am going to try a bottle when I get the goodie out of this batch of corn cob media.
    I saw a Frankford arsenal rotary wet set up for $100 on Amazon the other day. The reviews said that it needed to be almost full to get the brass to tumble. Anybody have experience with the small FA rig?Attachment 250991
    Here is the next batch that I ran for about 2 1/2 hrs. Much better when I allowed it to run longer--duh
    Last edited by murf205; 11-10-2019 at 02:20 PM.

Boolit Master
    I have gone to wet tumbling, using the FA set up minus the pins, and using a mix of car wash and wax and citric acid. A ninety minute run gets me very clean and shiny brass, but it does mean time afterwards drying the brass.

I tend to overfill the wet tumbler if anything (the extra brass and water is no strain if the weight of the pins is not there). But small loads still tumble, as best I can see through the clear end caps. I think that it helps to use enough water to cover the brass, but not much more.

Quote Originally Posted by kevin c View Post
    I have gone to wet tumbling, using the FA set up minus the pins, and using a mix of car wash and wax and citric acid. A ninety minute run gets me very clean and shiny brass, but it does mean time afterwards drying the brass.

I tend to overfill the wet tumbler if anything (the extra brass and water is no strain if the weight of the pins is not there). But small loads still tumble, as best I can see through the clear end caps. I think that it helps to use enough water to cover the brass, but not much more.
    Are you using the smaller FA tumbler? If so, how many, say 308, size cases will it clean?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast