RotoMetals2Load DataRepackboxLee Precision
Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Inline Fabrication Wideners

Thread: K31 Noe 195 bullet

Boolit Bub

K31 Noe 195 bullet

Got my new mould in the mail today so I proceeded to cast a few. After making a dummy case with one of the bullets I noticed the bullet has to be seated with the gas check below the neck to chamber it without jamming in the rifling. The main reason I bought this mould is just for this reason. Anyone else have this problem with the noe bullet?

I had that problem with my two K 31's as well, but with different molds. You may need to have a nose reducing die made to the exact dimension of your gun. Said die works in your lube sizer, but you insert the bullet after first having lubed its nose, nose first to reduce it by a given amount.

Yep, I have to bump the nose down on mine with a die Smokem Joe made for me. It depends on the individual rifle's throat. I got one of those tight bored ones, .294" bore, .3055" groove. Joe originally made the die for me to bump the nose on a 308329 so as to fit my K31 with the check above the neck/shoulder junction. Since I have to bump the NOE bullet, I seldom use it. I have an Eagan MX3-30-AR, the last one cut with the cherry, that fits better. The Eagan is similar to the RCBS 168, might have a bit more taper.
    "If people let the government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny."

-Thomas Jefferson

madsen...., Smokem Joe, the late Joe Wiest, made my die as well: It was perfect!

I think he bought a reamer with the proper taper, after making a few by hand. But then we lost him. I don't have to squeeze down the diameter of the whole nose, just the tapered portion above the upper band, maybe some of the upper band too. That taper is probably the contact point for the OP too. Maybe after a couple thousand rounds of jacketed I won't have to bump em no more!
    "If people let the government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny."

-Thomas Jefferson

Ideal 311414 should do the trick for the k31
    We really need a Ar-15 subforum!

Speaking of moulds for the K 31, Saeco #315 (tapered Loverin with a truncated cone nose) or the ca. 1992 Lyman #311644, a tapered design, work well and don't require a nose reducing die.

Boolit Master
    What the world calls "Global Warming", we in Arizona call "Summer Time."
    I deleted my original comment cause I was mistaken on the NOE mold you were referring to. Mine was the 199 grain spitzer; which also had to be seated very deep but, it worked out excellent for me; I mean accuracy-wise.

HollowPoint
    Last edited by HollowPoint; 11-08-2019 at 08:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 747 captain View Post
    Got my new mould in the mail today so I proceeded to cast a few. After making a dummy case with one of the bullets I noticed the bullet has to be seated with the gas check below the neck to chamber it without jamming in the rifling. The main reason I bought this mould is just for this reason. Anyone else have this problem with the noe bullet?
    I've got to ask, is the issue of the bullet base projecting into the case body a real issue? I have seen many examples of people going to great lengths to prevent the condition but little real testing or research. I use the Lee 200 grain in both my K31 and 7.62 match rifle, in both cases there are at least two lube groves exposed below the case neck. The K31 shoots this bullet into an inch or less at 50 metres (with a rest and aperture sights) and in the match rifle (aperture sights and single point sling) under 3/8 inch . Both these at velocities around 2100 fps.

So my suggestion is, before going to a lot of expense and trouble, find out if it really is a problem. All you have to do is load up 20 or 30 rounds to find out.
    "Consciousness is a lie your brain tells you to make you think you know what you are doing." Professor Maria Goncalves.

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear. George Orwell.

Joe's die works on the 311365 that I have too. I just happen to have a few of them around. Reduces the ogive to .299", tapering to .304" just above the cleaning groove, and the top band to .3075". I finish size the lower bands to .308" since I have a .3055" groove diameter. I just happen to have a few of them around that I've already bumped, though I've not tried them in my K31 yet, they're ready. My Krags like them unbumped at around 2100fps too! This die has made a lot of other bullets useful in my K31 from an aspect of keeping the check in the neck. That includes an Eagan MX2-308-H, which didn't require much of a bump. I've been shooting some 6x45 loads that have the check slightly below the neck. Nothing wrong with accuracy at the pressure it takes to get up around 2600fps! (27BHN alloy that isn't brittle) The bumped 311365 seats at max magazine length with the check still in the neck, the upper lube groove (not the cleaning groove) is exposed, a little dab of lube to atomize and push on down the bore. (Does it really? I'm not sure, haven't recovered any.)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails castboolits 005.jpg  
    Last edited by madsenshooter; 11-09-2019 at 03:12 PM.

-Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Buddy
    I am a little upset that the NOE mold requires some sort of special sizing to work in the K31. I bet he has sold a bunch of those molds to folk who believed they were getting something that was ready to go in the K31. I tried to order one several months back and they were out of stock; sure glad I didn't get one.

Looks like to me if your going to sell a product specifically designed for a specific rifle that you would at least have the decency and self-respect to see that it actually works in that rifle(K31)................

Boolit Master

I have the NOE mold and I also have to seat the bullet deep with the gas check area below the neck. To me it does not matter this bullet still is far and away better than anything else I have tried. Who made the rule that it is a must to seat the bullet totally in the neck?

Ken