MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingWideners
Load DataSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingLee Precision
Repackbox Inline Fabrication

Thread: Winchester 1886 Project.

Winchester 1886 Project.

Alrighty... Some of you may know my 1886 and the issues I had with it. I posted here alot and still do. I love the thing, and shoot it quite often, its my favorite!
    As I use it often, I usually realize that I really like the rifle, but it is missing some things to make it perfect.
    It happens that I take rifles out with slings, extremely useful when I walk. Doesnt always need to be long distances, but having two free hands from keeping branches from beating you in the face is always a plus for me.
    Some times il take another lever gun out that has a slightly larger loop, which I really like. I can wear small gloves without my hand getting stuck in the lever. Some say only one finger or two is enough. I usually stick 3 in the loop. To each their own!

So I want to put all the features I like on my favorite rifle. Keep in mind it is an Original made in 1889, a rare variant also. SOOOO.... Im buying everything that is period correct. I did alot of research and spent alot of time getting the right components.

1:I ordered a lever, to make a big one out of. Il fit it to my needs No it wont be a massive round, useless one.) It is a repro but it costed around 100$ for me. An original, if I could find one, and I did, was upwards of 200$. Il take the blueing off and make it match, no worries there.
    The only thing that im thinking about, is that its a repro and im 70% sure it will fit from the people I talked to on this forum. Im not sure by 30%, just because its a repro.

2: I ordered a repro nose cap/ forend cap, should fit, just not to sure with my forend wood how they will meet...? Remains to be determined!

3: Some sling mounts! Il drill the nose cap and fit AN ORIGINAL 19th century Winchester sling mount. I pretty much spent 150$ on two mounts... They are the real original ones from the first slings on lever guns Winchester and Henry offered. The old hook type ones. Sling mounts around here, for modern ones, are about 10$-30$ depending on brands. I have the original sling eyes to mount in the wood ( which I wont use) and the one for the forend cap, that I need to rivet in place.

(4?): A special feature for Winchester was cleaning rods in the stock. Im guessing a trap door 1873 stock wont fit on an 1886 stock right? just a thought iv'e been thinking about.

Everything im doing, is with real parts that were available back in the day ( except the large loop) and im doing it as period correct as possible.

Any help, comments, and tips are appreciated.

Thanks!

Rifle to the right:

PS: I walk alot because im building a cabin and its off-grid. So Its quite a walk, not very far in distance, but the terrain isn't super friendly.
    Cabin:

Ask yourself these questions,

Am I going to sell this rifle?
    Did I buy this rifle as a monetary investment?

From your posts I think the answers will both be no. So forget the number of value and make the gun the way you want it to be.

Bazoo

Quote Originally Posted by Bazoo View Post
    Ask yourself these questions,

Am I going to sell this rifle?
    Did I buy this rifle as a monetary investment?

From your posts I think the answers will both be no. So forget the number of value and make the gun the way you want it to be.

Bazoo
    Im not selling this one or any.

That's a neat cartridge belt, never seen one like that with a pouch. How old is it?

Nice 336 by the way. Which caliber?

Quote Originally Posted by Bazoo View Post
    That's a neat cartridge belt, never seen one like that with a pouch. How old is it?

Nice 336 by the way. Which caliber?
    I made the belt a couple years ago.
    1886 is in 40-82 and 336 is in 30-30

Its been done.

That looks really nice. Long! Are you going to have it CCH? Or just put a wrap on it? I reckon I'd just put a wrap on it. Well Done!

Boolit Master
    Thats really neat Kev - good job!!!

Il wrap it probably. Now I put cold blue and it matches, but il put leather on it probably.
    I didn't want a huge loop for no reason. This one is big and comfy enough even for a glove.

Quote Originally Posted by indian joe View Post
    Thats really neat Kev - good job!!!
    Thanks, its cool what a vise, welder, and a flat bar can make. In only a couple hours

Very nice!

I find, even with the size difference, its still really useful and doesnt interfere with the lines of the rifle. Still comfortable to hold and use.