Lee PrecisionInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
WidenersTitan ReloadingLoad DataSnyders Jerky
Reloading Everything RotoMetals2

Thread: Need a extra long Mauser 98 Guard Screw

Need a extra long Mauser 98 Guard Screw

Putting together a Small ring Mauser and needed to replace the handguard, now the original rear handguard screw is a little over 1/4 inch short. Need help, does anyone have a extra long one laying about they do not need?

Good question. If you can't turn one up, then you can make your own. Brownell's (and others) sell a blank screw kit which has just the head and shaft, but no threads. You can thread your own using an appropriate thread die, then cut it to the desired length, or thread it in a lathe.

Well have no lath, been looking for a die. These seem to run between 15.00 to 20.00 with out the postage. Seems a lot for just one screw!

Banned
    How long (measurement) is the screw you need, I may have one.

Ken

Boolit Master

Brownell's sells threaded screw kits also. What is the diameter and pitch on this screw?

Yeah, well, that was my "last resort" advice. Actually, the problem isn't that uncommon, although I don't know where to get a ready-made screw. It's bound to be a metric thread, but I believe the thread specs are the same for all Mausers as relates to the TPI, pitch, diameter, and most likely the length. But, it is an axiom of gunsmithing that "no two things are exactly alike" and one made in Turkey might be a bit longer than one made in China. So, what we need to help you is for you to figure out exactly what length you need to make it work, and armed with this information we can investigate our parts drawers and perhaps find one that is a bit longer. There is always the possibility that a screw made for a commercial version of the Mauser might have a different length. However, like I already said, the problem is not that uncommon among rifle re-stockers and something may be available on the commercial market. I used to do stock jobs, and had a couple that were a couple of turns short of fitting up flush with the bolt raceway, and a couple that I had to shorten a bit, and remember making a couple of custom screws from drill rod on my lathe. You are correct that $25-30 makes for an expensive screw, but once you buy and use the tool you'll have it for future use. Kind of how it works. Anyway, give us an exact length, from the top of the screw head to the tip.

Boolit Buddy
    Brownell's sells a set of replacement screws for seven bucks.
    NRA Life 1992
    My avatar is almost a dead ringer for my little buddy Chico. Six pounds of mean that thought he was a Pit Bull. Miss that little guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Slugster View Post
    Brownell's sells a set of replacement screws for seven bucks.
    I saw those, but they do not say how long they are.

Quote Originally Posted by Pressman View Post
    How long (measurement) is the screw you need, I may have one.

Ken
    Would need one around 1.75 long. The one I have is 1.507 but it just touches the bottom of the receiver.
    I read where these are 1/4 x 22 thread.

Banned
    Well, I am sorry to get your hopes up. If I have one it's in use on a Carcano mounted in a VZ24 stock.

Sorry,
    Ken

Attachment 250845

Will this help? Best I can do. You could cut some off the bottom of the head to make it seat deeper. This was the longest of several I measured, with the 1st runner up being 1.6 from a Polish action. This one is a brand new Forrester replacement, 22 TPI.

Quote Originally Posted by Der Gebirgsjager View Post
    Attachment 250845

Will this help? Best I can do. You could cut some off the bottom of the head to make it seat deeper. This was the longest of several I measured, with the 1st runner up being 1.6 from a Polish action. This one is a brand new Forrester replacement, 22 TPI.
    I would think I could make that 1.685 work. What do you want for it?
    Can PM me if you wish.

Boolit Grand Master

2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Do you still live on Mary? I'll mail it out to you for......goodwill! But I'll wait until you look into M-Tecs links. Then confirm that you still want it and I'll get it in the mail. Or, if you don't want it after all I'll put it back in the parts drawer.

Boolit Master
    LIBERTY TREE ANTIQUES, has them.

Quote Originally Posted by Der Gebirgsjager View Post
    Do you still live on Mary? I'll mail it out to you for......goodwill! But I'll wait until you look into M-Tecs links. Then confirm that you still want it and I'll get it in the mail. Or, if you don't want it after all I'll put it back in the parts drawer.
    Thanks, yes it should work. Still at same address.
    God Bless You