WidenersRepackboxReloading EverythingLee Precision
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data Inline Fabrication

Thread: Daughter gave me a Mauser. Help with ID, please

Boolit Grand Master

Daughter gave me a Mauser. Help with ID, please

When my daughter was sent to Florida the soldier she took over for gave her a rifle to hold onto for him as he was going straight to OCS. 3 yrs later she never heard from him and can't find him so sent the rifle up to me in a case as a "hey, you want this whatever it is"?

So, it's a Mauser action and stock. All numbers match, including the original stock stamp.
    Five digit SN W16xxx, the stock just has the 5 digit number.
    No markings
    Bolt is bent with a flat bottom knob but with an indistinguishable mark. It is stamped with the SN on the outside of the bend and "550" on the inside curve.
    All parts have a 1 stamped in either a circle or box. Some parts have both and I mean every part including the buttplate and barrel band. It has a part under the barrel for a bayonet with a slot on the left side of the second band for the original sling as it has the slot in the buttstock for one.
    Ladder sight is marked 100-2000m.
    Rear stock has the slot through it for the sling but no sling. Some expert drilled it for sling mounts grrrr.
    The floor plate is odd. It has the "1" stamp and the matching serial number but is almost flat with rectangular stamps around the center part kinda like it was stamped on a machine that had rectangle prongs to punch the shape. The trigger guard appears to be 2 pieces So maybe an M48B-BO?

Front sight is hooded with the "1" stamp in both circle and box.

I found this on the Milsurps.com Site

All models of M48 can sometimes be found completely lacking all markings aside from the serial numbers. These models are collectively referred to as M48BO. BO = "Bez Oznake" Which translates roughly to "without markings". These guns would have been sold or given as foreign aid to countries and organizations with which Yugoslavia did not want to be publicly associated.
    And
    An acquaintance had conducted a study on these rifles and after reviewing over 2,000 assorted Yugo Mausers, observed that no BO's were configured as the model A. Plenty of M48 and more M48B's but not one M48A. Since he gave me that observation, I have been watching and have not seen one either. Many have been reported but upon examination, all were misidentified M48B. If you know of a verified M48A-bo, we'd sure like to know about it.

Any ideas on this one? Think I'm on the right track of a M48B-BO about 1956-65? Except for the no marking stamps this rifle is in VG condition. Stock not split, all metal fine, bore bright no pits. Just a little spot of surface rust from sitting in the corner for 3yrs. Anyone know how to track down the serial numbers?
    Last edited by jonp; 11-06-2019 at 08:01 PM.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

To track down the serial numbers, you would have to know what it is. Pictures would help a bunch. No markings would indicate that it has been worked over, but it’s anyone’s guess who did the work.
    "Experience is a series of non-fatal mistakes"

Disarming is a mistake free people only get to make once...

Does the stamped floor plate have the winter trigger guard?

Boolit Buddy

Post some pictures and eliminate the guess work.