MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingWidenersLoad Data
Titan ReloadingRepackboxRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Snyders Jerky Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mule Deer With An Original 1894 Takedown 32-40

Fantastic !! I shot a whitetail with my 1906 vintage Win 1894SRC in 25 35 a couple years ago and I swear that was the best tasting venison I ever brought home.

Boolit Master
    Another nice shot with a fine rifle, and cartridge! That is some beautiful country, so different from our Tennessee big woods. Collecting fine older rifles is nice, hunting with them is the icing on the cake. ��
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    I’m jealous!

Boolit Master
    Good deer and nice rifle. Did you use black powder or smokeless?

Boolit Mold
    Very enjoyable to read. Super enjoyable to see the photos. Thanks for posting!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tripplebeards View Post
    I’m jealous!
    That is a great question. Also, how did the round nose bullet perform? I am going to start casting some 35 caliber round nose boolits and am intrigued to hunt with them in the future. Very glad for your success, Shrapnel. Beautiful rifle and buck.

Boolit Buddy
    Congratulations! You did so many things right!

Boolit Buddy
    The older I get the more I enjoy hunting with these old guns and cartridges. My rifle isn't that old, but the 38-55 chambering is. Works great at woods ranges.

Boolit Buddy

Bad *** I'm hunting with the Remington 141 35 Remington Express RCBS 200 gr RFN GC Tomorrow hope does as good as yours did. Nice buck and rifle and cartridge!
    Semper Fidelis, to God, Country and Corps!

Quote Originally Posted by JDL View Post
    Good deer and nice rifle. Did you use black powder or smokeless?
    Quote Originally Posted by ChristopherO View Post
    That is a great question. Also, how did the round nose bullet perform? I am going to start casting some 35 caliber round nose boolits and am intrigued to hunt with them in the future. Very glad for your success, Shrapnel. Beautiful rifle and buck.
    Here is the cartridge and the bullet. It worked great, but a cast bullet is always about bullet placement. Those that think the old black powder cartridges are like the "Hammer of Thor" need to realize, they aren't unless spine shot or where the main skeletal support is broken down. Cast bullets and black powder cartridges are mostly hole punchers. They can and will penetrate unbelievable amounts of meat and bone, but without a mechanical breakdown, animals can travel quite a ways with a hole punched through them.

The load is only 16 grains of 5744 powder under that 180 grain round nose bullet. It does kill quite well when hits the vitals like this...

Boolit Master

That is Cool, Thanks' for posting

Boolit Master
    Shrapnel is a relatively new poster here on castboolits forum but if you frequent 24 hrcampfire & want to discuss vintage rifles, handguns, Custers Last Stand, reloading, etc you'll find that many up in Montana will tell you he pretty much walks on water, so listen when he speaks! Edited to say, if the water is hard!

Dick

Well Done! I don’t hunt from blinds with a wiz bang, high tech rifle. I prefer to sneak up on them with cowboy guns ; especially with my own hand made cast ammo. Awesome buck and rifle!

Anyone who says you have to have the latest and greatest new ultra magnum cartridge just ain't hunting. The old work horses still take game every season. The 32/40, 38/55, 32 Winchester special. In fact I took a deer three or four years ago with a .32 S&W long although I don't recommend it.

My Grandfather was a Baptist preacher here in South Texas. A member of his congregation gave him and old Marlin lever gun in .32 Winchester Special. It also came with an old bullet mold. The owner was getting at that time a new 7mm magnum and didn't think the old Marlin was any good anymore.

Well that was when I was about 8 years old(I'm 65 now) and every year my Grandpa made meat with that old "Useless" under powered rifle. My Grandfather cast the bullets, smeared Lyman lube on them, fired five at 100 yards(The rifle had a Williams peep sight on it) and he could keep five shots inside 2 inches at 100 yards. He shot with both eyes open.

I guess most people, my brother included, just doesn't understand that here in South Texas most shots on deer averages 75 yards.

Of course my Grandfather would say a short prayer, "God you know what me and my family need. I promise if you make my aim true I would take no more that I need. Amen"

ACC
    Last edited by ACC; 11-17-2019 at 10:59 AM.

Boolit Master
    Thanks for sharing with us I love those old Winny's. Gorgeous countryside also.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12