Titan ReloadingRepackboxRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingWidenersLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters Supply Inline Fabrication

Thread: Neuces headwater hunt

Boolit Master

Neuces headwater hunt

So there I was, up in a seat in a tree about 30 minutes before first light. The previous afternoon we did the drive from Mcallen to Rocksprings to try our luck on opening weekend. We had not visited the ranch for almost a year due to personal events but were eager to resume our activities there. That night we spread some corn in the general area of the feeders but did not have much expectation as the feeders had been empty for a few months already.

I sat there feeling the cold in my bones but know that keeping quite and still improves your chances. As things started lightening up I could see where we had spread the corn in the dark as it really stood out against the grass and rock.

A few minutes later a number of does showed up at the distant feeder but were outside of my comfort zone as my rifle was zeroed at 100yards but I had not yet done shootings at any other ranges.

A few minutes later 3 does stared feeding on the corn at the closer feeder area and as I was watching them a buck ran into the area to join them. Initially I was disappointed as all I could see was what appeared to be a spike horn. Then he turned his head and I saw the other rack. Nice sized buck and as I don’t care for trophies I loaded up and took the shot.

The 450gn CB met its mark and anchored the buck right there. Range is just more than 100 yards but angled down about 30*. It clipped the spine and was through and through as expected. The buck was quartered away from me.

The ammo is a combination of a Lee 450gn plain based CB that is powder coated and pushed with 33gn of SR4759 in a Ruger M77 458WinMag.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DE73EB68-07F0-4A3D-9B7D-D785585B79E3.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	75.7 KB 
ID:	250753

Name:	CF6DCFF3-36C0-4744-8CF3-281D613FCAB7.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	198.3 KB 
ID:	250752

Name:	AD91DF7B-8B51-485C-A73F-E3042C231BA4.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	63.2 KB 
ID:	250754
    Liberalism is the triumph of emotion over intellect, but masquerading as the reverse.

I don't know how we ever shot maximum loads before P/C come along and saved us all. R5R

"No mosque in the United States flies an American flag."

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Banned

Very cool, congrats.

The .458 is a hoot to play with using cast. Mine is a very big and heavy rifle built on a 1917 Enfield action, really too awkward for me to hunt with, but using Trapdoor level loads in it sure is fun to punch holes in paper with here at the house. One of these days I'd like a Ruger #1 in .458 and would definitely hunt with it.

Boolit Master
    Awesome, thanks for sharing.