Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionLoad Data
Snyders JerkyRepackboxTitan ReloadingWideners
Reloading Everything MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Ranchdog 379-235-RF?

Boolit Man

Ranchdog 379-235-RF?

Has anybody used the Ranch Dog 235 grain bullet for 375 Winchester on bigger than deer game. Elk, moose or big hogs? I think it would make a great bullet in the 375 Winchester but wonder if it is heavy enough for good penetration on bigger game.

Boolit Master
    I used the RCBS 37-250-FN on a small buck here in n. texas but never had the opportunity to try it on anything larger. This was a .375 H & H loaded down to pedestrian speed and of course the boolit passed right thru the deer. Not familiar with the RD 235 but I'd think the penetration would be very substantial and effective on either an elk or pig. I'm not going to say on the moose as they seem to be in a different weight class and I'd want a boolit with a greater sectional density if I was going after one.
    Decreed by our Creator: The man who has been made able to believe and understand that Jesus Christ has been sent into this world by the Father has been born of the Spirit of God. This man shall never experience spiritual death. He will live forever!

Boolit Buddy
    Lyman 375449 shoots great out of mine with 4198

Boolit Master
    Can’t answer your specific question, from experience. I can tell you that a hollowpointed 379449 clone will go end to end thru a Tennessee deer, shattering the ball at the hip joint before exiting. I would think it would do the job you ask, but load, alloy, and distance would play a part. I like heavy for caliber to hunt with. We have a velocity limit dictated by hunting alloy, amount other things. I like to chose as heavy a bullet as I can get near that limit for big critters. For deer I don’t push the heavy bullet that hard, no need it “weil kiell “ plenty good enough. My 375 is treated like a 38-55 that’s all I need. Hopefully someone has actually used the RD for bigger than deer and can offer actual experience. I would not hesitate to shoot big hog or elk with my 375 and 379449, but I would forgo the hp for those hunts. Moose, never even seen one but I hear they are BIG!
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Master
    Following
    Founder of the Single Shot section.

A government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take everything you have.

8 in the 10 ring, then I get a PING. Love my Garand.

Boolit Master
    Goshawk - care to share any experiences with this bullet on deer?

Load data?
    Founder of the Single Shot section.

A government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take everything you have.

8 in the 10 ring, then I get a PING. Love my Garand.

Boolit Master
    I have picked up the 235 gr RD bullet mold.
    I like that larger flat meplat that should increase effectiveness
    compared to my 375449 bullet/load.
    The 235 RD has a meplat of 0.264" diameter- Area = 0.219 sq.in.
    the 375449 has a meplat of 0. 221" diameter-Area = 0.151 sq.in.
    So 235 RD has a 45% greater meplat area. Definitely better for KO power, but not
    as good for aerodynamics. But at my usual Max 100yards in the woods, aerodynamics
    does not matter to me.
    Then, Sectional Density is a key factor for good penetration.
    235 RD at 235 gr (actual wt w/gc) calculates to S.D. of 0.239 #/dia sq.
    375449, at 285 gr (actual wt w/gc) calculates to S.D. of 0.290 #/dia sq.
    375449 calculates to 21% greater S.D.

According to the Lyman #4 CBA listing for 375 Win, (should be within our gas checked cast bullet limits)
    Max load for the 375449 with 32 gr Re7 will achieve about 1762fps.
    Max load for the 235 RD with 31.5 gr Re7 is interpolated from 220 gr load to be about 1900.

Personally I have loaded the 375449 with 28 grains Re7 under it so It is safe in my 38-55 cal M1893 and M336CB
    as well as in my 375 W Ruger No 3 and the T/C contender carbine with 375Win Bullberry 16.5" barrel,

First, I am confident the 235 RD will have plenty of penetration on deer. (tho I have not shot one yet with it)
    Second, tho I really like that larger meplat dia on the 235 RD, I would definitely choose the 375449
    for Elk, Moose, big bear if I HAD TO use the 375Win. If choice, I would use my big game CB load for my 375 HH Improved with the Paper Patched 375449at close to factory jacketed velocity)
    beltfed/arnie

Boolit Master
    Forgot to mention that my 28 gr Re7 load is a tack driver.
    "Cloverleaves" at 100yds from my 336 CB.
    beltfed/arnie

Boolit Man
    I don’t have this mold yet. I have the 375499 that casts 288 grains all up and killed a large Mule deer buck with one shot almost instant kill. Just heard so much good about the Ranchdog 235 would like to try it but need moose type penetration in my area.

Boolit Man
    Thanks beltfed! That’s the kind of info I like.

Hey Goshawk PM sent