WidenersRepackboxTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationLee PrecisionADvertise here

Thread: Pro-Melt 2 missing from RCBS site

Pro-Melt 2 missing from RCBS site

Anybody notice the Pro-Melt 2 is not on the RCBS web site any more ?
    Looks like the questionable quality bit them in the butt.
    Yes, I know some have posted theirs works fine; more have posted otherwise, here and other forums.

I had a Pro-Melt - loved it, wore it out, something around 3-4 tons (yes, really) lead through it. I cast for all my shooting friends

My PM 2 : takes an hour and a half to get to casting temp (725-750 for the way I cast), PID off by 100 degrees, by a Lyman dial and a $200 digital I "borrowed" from work (I have to set mine at 845 to come close to my desired temp), for shame if I let the temp get below 725 - bottom spout freezes up.

I couldn't find any info on the RCBS site about what's going on.

Anybody with some insider info ?
    Cogno, Ergo, Boom

If you're gonna be stupid, don't pull up short. Saddle up and ride it all the way in.

Someone else posted about this a week or two ago. They apparently talked to RCBS directly and they are still producing but for some reason they just pulled the direct sales.

RCBS Pro-Melt 2 gone?
    https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/top...ink_source=app

2 1/2 hours to melt??? I have a PID on my PM1 and I set it up with a PID bypass switch so that when heating it initially the PID isn't used. I think it heats up a bit quicker but I've never measured it to see. I think it's around 20 minutes for a full pot.
    The thing with Chinese manufactured goods is it all depends on the buyer selecting the right factory and specifying exactly what they want. If that is done then there will be nothing wrong with the quality. I've just never been convinced that mounting a PID in the same housing as a heating element is a good idea.

Boolit Master

I have one of the 1st Pro-Melt marked RCBS after they bought out Lachmiller/Ohaus. RCBS rebuilt it twice, after 10yrs and then 30yrs. RCBS has said they no longer will rebuild them. I have a Lyman Mag-20 almost as old. Lyman threw away all the parts to fix the Mag-20 4yrs ago.

Guess I'll have to go with Lee. Soon they'll be the only game in town.

And if RCBS is phasing out their Casting gear, it may not really matter to them. Else they would have fought harder against the New Custom Mold Makers.

Lyman sure seems to be slipping. Quality Control is a joke. From the first/best outfit to the biggest joke in the Reloading/Casting industry.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

Boolit Grand Master

I noticed that the PM 11 is showing out of stock at Midway with no back order. Makes one wonder..........

The idea of a quality pot with a build in PID is great but I just don't know if the new ProMelt qualifies as a quality pot. My next pot may be a Magma.

Boolit Master
    Makes me worry... time to get an old spare one while we still can?

I really like mine,it's old, I bought it used 15 years ago,all rusted then.

This is what happens when people want cheaper,cheaper...