RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingLoad DataRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners

Thread: Pro-Melt 2 missing from RCBS site

Boolit Master

Pro-Melt 2 missing from RCBS site

Anybody notice the Pro-Melt 2 is not on the RCBS web site any more ?
    Looks like the questionable quality bit them in the butt.
    Yes, I know some have posted theirs works fine; more have posted otherwise, here and other forums.

I had a Pro-Melt - loved it, wore it out, something around 3-4 tons (yes, really) lead through it. I cast for all my shooting friends

My PM 2 : takes an hour and a half to get to casting temp (725-750 for the way I cast), PID off by 100 degrees, by a Lyman dial and a $200 digital I "borrowed" from work (I have to set mine at 845 to come close to my desired temp), for shame if I let the temp get below 725 - bottom spout freezes up.

I couldn't find any info on the RCBS site about what's going on.

Anybody with some insider info ?
    Cogno, Ergo, Boom

If you're gonna be stupid, don't pull up short. Saddle up and ride it all the way in.

Boolit Master
    Someone else posted about this a week or two ago. They apparently talked to RCBS directly and they are still producing but for some reason they just pulled the direct sales.

RCBS Pro-Melt 2 gone?
    https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/top...ink_source=app

2 1/2 hours to melt??? I have a PID on my PM1 and I set it up with a PID bypass switch so that when heating it initially the PID isn't used. I think it heats up a bit quicker but I've never measured it to see. I think it's around 20 minutes for a full pot.
    The thing with Chinese manufactured goods is it all depends on the buyer selecting the right factory and specifying exactly what they want. If that is done then there will be nothing wrong with the quality. I've just never been convinced that mounting a PID in the same housing as a heating element is a good idea.

Boolit Master

I have one of the 1st Pro-Melt marked RCBS after they bought out Lachmiller/Ohaus. RCBS rebuilt it twice, after 10yrs and then 30yrs. RCBS has said they no longer will rebuild them. I have a Lyman Mag-20 almost as old. Lyman threw away all the parts to fix the Mag-20 4yrs ago.

Guess I'll have to go with Lee. Soon they'll be the only game in town.

And if RCBS is phasing out their Casting gear, it may not really matter to them. Else they would have fought harder against the New Custom Mold Makers.

Lyman sure seems to be slipping. Quality Control is a joke. From the first/best outfit to the biggest joke in the Reloading/Casting industry.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Grand Master

I noticed that the PM 11 is showing out of stock at Midway with no back order. Makes one wonder..........

The idea of a quality pot with a build in PID is great but I just don't know if the new ProMelt qualifies as a quality pot. My next pot may be a Magma.

Boolit Master
    Makes me worry... time to get an old spare one while we still can?

I really like mine,it's old, I bought it used 15 years ago,all rusted then.

This is what happens when people want cheaper,cheaper...

Boolit Master
    Just called up rcbs to ask them about the pro melt 2. Will probably be several more months as they work out several bugs to make it more reliable.

Boolit Master
    Wonder if they are going to help out all us suck..., er customers who forked out big bucks ?
    Cogno, Ergo, Boom

If you're gonna be stupid, don't pull up short. Saddle up and ride it all the way in.

Boolit Buddy
    I had an Easy melt, the ladle only pot. The fan quit working I side of a year. They replaced it as they have to parts. As far as I know, they will only back it for a year, then you have to fix it on your own or buy another. Found an old Pro melt on fleabay, and have been much happier. Still have the new easy melt in the shipping box.

I just unwrapped my (new) old RCBS ProMelt, still in the box. Yeah, I am slow to accept new things as my hand-me-down Lyman Mag 20 has kept my ladle pour happy. Maybe I'll fire up my new to me ProMelt soon. Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year! Be SAFE! Fireball 57
    If you don't have AMMUNITION, your rifle is a CLUB.

Quote Originally Posted by Petander View Post
    Makes me worry... time to get an old spare one while we still can?

I really like mine,it's old, I bought it used 15 years ago,all rusted then.

This is what happens when people want cheaper,cheaper...
    You hit the nail on the head, so to speak, Petander. There is a brand new Promelt 2 on Gunbroker right now and the bidding has hung up on $106 with 9 hrs to go. Apparently the casting world is wise to the RCBS folly of having their products made in China. I wonder how much money they are "saving" now that they have had to suspend sales to get the bugs worked out of what WAS once, the best casting furnace, for the price, available.

Update- it sold for $225+35 shipping. I hope that whoever bought that for $260 total has a good experience with it. It would be a shame to have a first time boolit caster have a bad experience with that furnace and quit the game all together.
    Last edited by murf205; 01-06-2020 at 07:47 AM.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Ya know I've always wanted a "nice" casting pot like the pro melt or the mag25 & now that I'm at a point in my life I could actually afford one they are now cheap Chinese crap. That figures. I envy you old timers. Yall could go & spend your hard earned money & actually get something for it. The old pots apparently ran for decades. I've read post after post about the newer pots both RCBS & Lyman crapping out in a couple months. It's really pathetic if you ask me. Guess I'll just stick w/the ol Lee 4-20.
    Last edited by sgms18; 01-06-2020 at 03:01 PM.

Boolit Master
    Used units come up for sale in the S&S forum on occasion, though my impression is that they don't stay unsold for long. Mine is a refurbished ProMelt. No telling how old it is, but a couple new screws, rust removal and some high temp engine paint was enough to get it going again.

Yeah, I look on there from time to time in hopes of finding an old one for sale. So far no luck.

Quote Originally Posted by sgms18 View Post
    Ya know I've always wanted a "nice" casting pot like the pro melt or the mag25 & now that I'm at a point in my life I could actually afford one they are now cheap Chinese crap. That figures. I envy you old timers. Yall could go & spend your hard earned money & actually get something for it. The old pots apparently ran for decades. I've read post after post about the newer pots both RCBS & Lyman crapping out in a couple months. It's really pathetic if you ask me. Guess I'll just stick w/the ol Lee 4-20.
    I stumbled onto my ProMelt. My gun club has a "swap meet" on our webpage and it sat there for a long time before I checked one day. The guy that owned it had not cast a full pot in it and was about to take the ad down due to lack of interest when I called him. IIRC I gave $150 for it. I was using an Old Lee 10 pounder, dripping spout and all. but it never failed and I still use it to cast crappie jigs and sinkers. I bought it in 1980 so the durability speaks for itself! It just turned 40 yrs old and all I've done to it is polish the spout plug and clean it out every so often. Lyman and RCBS...are you listening????????
    Last edited by murf205; 01-09-2020 at 08:24 PM.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Master

I've got a Pro-Melt and a Pro-Melt 2.

They both do the job. I've had no problems with my PM2.

I've only run about 1000 lbs through it though.
    NRA Benefactor.