WidenersSnyders JerkyRepackboxLee Precision
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Reloading Everything Titan Reloading

Thread: Remington Hunter Air Rifle

Remington Hunter Air Rifle

New to Air Rifles and thinking about one of these , 1200fps Remington Hunter , does anyone have or have any thoughts on this Air Rifle , I need to make some tree rats move on

Thanks copdills

Boolit Master

Might be all right if you can find some pellets heavy enough to fly at 900 or les FPS.
    High velocities are not good for pellets. The skirt can get blasted off, better chance of lead fouling in the barrel.

Fortunately many air gun makers advertise the speed with the lightest pellets they can find.
    To lazy to chase arrows.
    Clodhopper

Thank you clodhopper I didn't know that was the case

Moderator Emeritus

By your citing "1200fps" I assume you're considering the .177 model? (It also is available in a .22 version which propels this calibre pellet at 950fps/synthetic or 800fps/lead.)
    Either is a most inexpensive Nitro-piston air rifle -- that compressed air overrides spring action is a big (imho) plus! I looked at this (in .22) rifle before I elected to purchase the Sig Sauer ASP20 birch stock Gas-Piston Breakbarrel Air Rifle instead. A MAJOR criterion reason for me, is that the stock on the Remington seemed (for me) unduly short. To wit, it seemed as if there would be two to three inches of AIR between the butt-plate and my shoulder when attempting to aim a quick shot. (Perhaps, just "me" -- but you did ask comments ...)
    Reviews/comments I read reinforce sighting challenges, too -- but, again, I passed on this one in favour of the Sig.
    One very important WARNING -- if you elect this or any other Nitro air arm: To wit, you may NOT "dry fire" any!!! Sales person told me, and reinforced in instruction sheet, is that damage will (not "may") be done if you pull the trigger while charged without a pellet in the chamber. (Imho, there should be, say, a red hang-down tag, or decal on gun -- in my case, had sales person not advised, I'd surely have done some damage to mine!)
    My Sig has a built in noise suppressor at barrel end, making it incredibly QUIET, too -- another item (the Rem (I fired .22 version) seemed kind of loud to me) for you to consider...
    Good luck, and best wishes!
    geo

Boolit Master

Copdills and George,
    I have to admit never handling the Remington Hunter air rifle.

You could say I was triggered by advertised FPS.
    To lazy to chase arrows.
    Clodhopper

.177 for feathers. .22 for fur. Period!

The .177's higher speed, slight flatter trajectory does big damage to feathered critters. Knocking them for a loop. But it is lacking punch for going through hide and bone of a rabbit.

Larger mass of the .22 pellet might be slower, but speed x mass = bigger numbers, more damage on the far end.
    And I would agree mid 900's are about perfect for .22 pellet gun. I have one that pushes almost up into .22lr speed. And it is noisier, takes much more effort to cock.

I like the Hatsan's myself, say about model 95 in vortex with suppressor for an all around performer.
    Love that Turkish walnut. And they make a good solid air rifle with an easily adjusted trigger.

Thanks guys you gave me alot of information and I will look at some more rifles and read all I can find , but information on these from people that have them or own other types is the best information of all
    Thank Yall very much
    copdills

Boolit Grand Master
    The problem with supersonic pellet guns is the pellet does not manage the transonic range very well as it decelerates. It is often considered better in many ways to run a heavier pellet below the sound barrier.

A pellet has a horrible aerodynamic efficiency, and a .177 pellet bleeds energy like mad. A typical BC would be 0.02 G1 or worse. Thus speed has little return on investment. I would get the .22 myself. Squirrels are much tougher than rabbits or birds.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by 35remington View Post
    A pellet has a horrible aerodynamic efficiency, and a .177 pellet bleeds energy like mad. A typical BC would be 0.02 G1 or worse. Thus speed has little return on investment. I would get the .22 myself. Squirrels are much tougher than rabbits or birds.
    In my prior posts above, I mentioned my (field) air rifles are in .22 calibre for these very reasons! My .177 collection is but one el cheapo Daisy for play -- was my sons' -- and, a pretty fair Accurate Arms T200 target PCP for 10-meter competition. Again -- for field work -- my money has been spent on .22s...
    geo

I think the one I get will be a 22 another thing I have notice from reading and looking at videos on youtube trying to find the right pellet for the gun is alot of trail and error