Inline FabricationLee PrecisionWidenersSnyders Jerky
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Repackbox
Reloading Everything Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Best dies for 9mm

Boolit Buddy

Best dies for 9mm

Putting an order together and need 9mm dies for cast boolits. Is one better than the other? Should I get the Lee factory crimp die set?

Boolit Master
    I have redding and lee. I like the redding the most but the lee's work. what press you using?

Boolit Buddy
    Just using an old Lyman inline single stage for now

I prefer rcbs dies, but I have all kinds. They all work. In 9mm, I use a lee universal expanding die with a noe expander plug for loading oversized cast bullets. I think I also use a redding taper crimp die in 9mm. Can’t remember right now.
    Due to the price of primers, warning shots will no longer be given!

Boolit Master
    The taper crimp die on my reddings is what I like about them. I have never tried the factory crimp die but would try one if I did not have the ones I already have.

Boolit Grand Master

Most of my dies are RCBS, Redding and Dillon. I like the Dillon dies for pistol calibers. Someone else said they all work.

Boolit Master
    Most any sizing die will work for jacketed but few work well for lead. They typically make the case too small and the slug gets damaged in seating. I use the Lee FCP minus the guts, but as a sizer. You can jimmie up a sizing pin to fit it if you're clever. I think my expander and flare plug is .357 diameter. Cases matter too, most are tapered inside limiting seating depth before you bulge. Federal are straight wall. I have had good results with 3.0 of BE. Good luck

Boolit Master
    Dillon. The new ones have a flippable seating stem, carbide rings, are taper crimps.

Boolit Master
    I use the new Hornady 9 mm dies with my 550, I like this set up better than other 9 mm dies I have used.
    I would never use the Lee factory crimp die set.

Boolit Buddy
    Since Im planning on casting .358 bullets and powder coating would it be of benefit to get a little downsizing from the factory crimp? (Im ASSuming the PC adds enough thickness that it needs to be accounted for.) i slugged my barrel and came up with .356 or a hair under, but all I have handy is a crappy dial caliper. I do have a micrometer but it is .3-1.3" and I dont have a way to calibrate it.

Edit: I bought a micrometer, reslugged the barrel, (cant find my original slug) came up with .3563"

Edit #2 dont know if I measured wrong or what, but my slug measures .3555"
    Last edited by Bashby; 11-10-2019 at 07:05 PM.

Boolit Master

I prefer Lee dies. They do the same job very well and cost much less.

Ken

Boolit Master
    You might consider adding in an expander die for a 38 S&W. I size my 9MM's to .357", the Redding "factory" 9mm expander seemed to not expand the mouths enough, I suspect it is sized for jacketed bullets. The 38 S&W expander fixed the issue of my cases sizing down my cast boolits too much.

My 38 S&W expander die is a Lyman.

Just my 2 cents
    Bob

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by PbHurler View Post
    You might consider adding in an expander die for a 38 S&W. I size my 9MM's to .357", the Redding "factory" 9mm expander seemed to not expand the mouths enough, I suspect it is sized for jacketed bullets. The 38 S&W expander fixed the issue of my cases sizing down my cast boolits too much.

Just my 2 cents
    Interesting. I do have a set of rcbs .38/.357.

Quote Originally Posted by PbHurler View Post

Just my 2 cents
    Quote Originally Posted by Bashby View Post
    Interesting. I do have a set of rcbs .38/.357.
    The expander die PbHurler is talking about is 38 S&W, NOT .38 Special or .357 Magnum.

I use a .38 S&W expander for my .358 diameter 9mm boolits, and I love it. Really helps to prevent the 9mm case from swaging down the boolit to too small of a diameter.
    "Things sure are a lot more like the way they are now than they used to be." --Yogi Berra

Boolit Grand Master

Love Dillon dies

Your budget will guide the answer.

Boolit Grand Master

I have 9mm reloading dies from 3 different manufacturers (bargains, freebies, etc.) and I don't think you'd go wrong with any from the major die manufacturers. But, and this is my opinion only; don't bother with a Lee FDC for handgun cartridges. There is no need to resize the cartridge after seating/crimping. If there are bulges on the cartridge or it doesn't plunk correctly, find out why and fix it. Mostly just a die adjustment will suffice...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Buddy
    I ended up getting the 4 die set from Lee. I figured the factory crimp die might be needed at some point.
    Edited my post above with results of slug test. .3563"

Edit: Measured and reslugged again and got .3555. Im going with that reading as correct.
    Last edited by Bashby; 11-10-2019 at 07:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bashby View Post
    I ended up getting the 4 die set from Lee. I figured the factory crimp die might be needed at some point.
    Edited my post above with results of slug test. .3563"
    Hey Bashby, I think you'll have great results with the Lee set. I have a bunch of 9mm dies... two sets of Dillon (used in my 550 and 1050), a set of RCBS (used them in my old Rockchucker), and a full set of Lee that I use in my Lee Classic Turret press.

I just wanted to make sure that you knew there is a difference in the expanding dies that guys have been recommending.... You DO NOT want the expander die from 38 Special/357 Magnum, you want the expander die from 38 S&W. This part right here: http://fsreloading.com/lee-precision...8-s-and-w.html That's the exact die I ordered from the exact place I ordered it from.

It'll expand your case more than the expander die included with your Lee 9mm set, and also a bit more than 38 Special. The part number that I linked you to is a powder through expander, so you can use it either in a stand-alone expander die, or you can use it with your powder-through die... you can take out the powder through expander plug in your new set of Lee 9mm dies, and just drop the 38 S&W one in.

IMO, it's pretty important to use the 38 S&W expander, especially since your barrel slugs out at .356. That expander will prevent the cartridge walls from swaging down your boolit to less than the desired .358 diameter you'll be wanting for that barrel.

When you're getting all set up, load up a test round, then pull the boolit. Measure the base of it and make sure it's not getting swaged down below .358. If it is, increase the depth of the expander.

If you have some military brass, you'll want to make sure to do the above test with it, as military brass typically has thicker case walls and has a tendency to swage boolits down more than typical 9mm brass does.

As to the Lee FCD, you'll hear guys here swear by it, and others swear at it. IME, the only time I have ever had a problem using the FCD is with military brass. Occasionally, the FCD with military brass will swage the boolit down below the desired diameter. But IME, it only happens with the military brass, and only occasionally. Other guys will say that it happens all the time, while another group of guys say they never have any problems with the FCD at all.

I *do* use the FCD for cast boolits, and have never had any problems with it, except for military brass. But I don't have much of that anyway, so it's really not a problem. Give it a try, and see how it works for you.

Edit: Oh, forgot to mention.... not only do you want to pull a boolit and measure the base of it, but you'll also want to verify that you have enough neck tension, too. Take a finished round and measure the OAL. Then press the tip of the boolit into something like the edge of your reloading bench, and push pretty hard. Then measure the OAL again. It should be the same. If it is shorter, you'll need to make adjustments so that you're getting better neck tension. There's a window you're shooting for here... you don't want the case so small that it swages down the boolit diameter, but you don't want the case so large that you're not getting adequate neck tension.
    Last edited by Phlier; 11-09-2019 at 02:23 PM.
    "Things sure are a lot more like the way they are now than they used to be." --Yogi Berra

Boolit Master

RCBS all the way. I cut my teeth on a set of RCBS dies and they are still running strong. Lee's will save a few dollars, but there's a reason. Not saying they are no good, I own probably 8 or so Lee sets, but the RCBS are superior. No Hornady experience. Dillion is to expensive unless you are a OCD shooter.

Boolit Master

Lyman for anything I load cast bullets in. The M-die is the best expander die on the market I've been using them since the early 1960's.
    RCBS and Redding make great dies. C-H make GREAT dies if ya need an odd caliber or just want REALLY GREAT DIES.

Lee I have no use for, bought or was given die sets in .32S&W, .44Russian & .38S&W. They were a mishmash of .32auto, .44Spl and .38Super/9mm&.38Spl. Friend bought a .44-40 crimp Die from Midway. Didn't work, turns out the die was actually .44Mag. Called to complain, wanted me to mail receipt and die back to them at My expense. Just gave it away.
    Their New 2cav molds work & 6cav molds are all right, and the push thru sizers are ok.

Hear Lee's new press is a pretty neat new tool, looking forward to hearing about it, Hope they are Good things.

dillon burned me on a 450 35yrs ago, I gave them another chance on the sq deal when they came out. powder measure is CRUD.
    Last edited by Walks; 11-10-2019 at 02:21 AM.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast