Load DataReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Repackbox
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Titan Reloading Lee Precision
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Progressive presses

Does anyone use the newer rcbs progressives? I am talking the 5 and 7 station ones
    Due to the price of primers, warning shots will no longer be given!

Boolit Buddy
    I'd like to try out a 7 station RCBS. Maybe they've worked out the problems plaguing their early progressives. In my experience though, you simply can not go wrong with a Dillon. I wouldn't try to operate an ammo business with one but for home use I don't know of anything better.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheelguns 1961 View Post
    Does anyone use the newer rcbs progressives? I am talking the 5 and 7 station ones
    RCBS has a poor history on progressives. If you already had a Dillon, it might be worth a roll of the dice. I would not invest in one as my only progressive. I got burned so have little faith in them.
    Don Verna

Sounds like the problems with progressive presses comes down to the priming system more than anything else.
    I currently load on a Lee classic cast turret press and use the safety prime for priming on the press.
    I don't have any need for a fully automated press. As long as it allows for all the functions needed to reload with each pull of the handle, I can place the cases and brass on it and index by hand if needed.
    In that regard, my question is, which progressive press has the most bullet proof priming system?

Boolit Mold
    I have owned a few different presses, currently have a 1050 - the only thing I dont like is the PRICE. But it is a solid contender. Coming from an Hornady LNL I am thankful for the primer system in the Dillon. I miss the inexpensive and small amount of time to swap to different cartridges, but the Dillon just makes great ammo in spec ALL THE TIME. Half my time on the hornady was trying to get the primer system to work - using plastic as an anchor for the cam was a serious disservice on the otherwise good machine. I retuned my cam to work better - changing the speed when the primer "puck" presented the primer to be pressed into the pocket helped a bit, but was still not 100% reliable. The hornady system is less expensive, makes good ammo, but I found I was tweaking it more than loading - kinda defeating the point.

TAZMAN - the price of the 1050 is a huge pill - but the priming system on it is NEAR BULLET PROOF. There is a pin that aligns the primer to be pressed before the ram inserts the primer ensuring the case and primer are in alignment before insertion. And it is adjustable for depth with ease - I like its system compared to Lee and Hornady process - only thing more bullet proof is doing it by hand.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tazman View Post
    Sounds like the problems with progressive presses comes down to the priming system more than anything else.
    I currently load on a Lee classic cast turret press and use the safety prime for priming on the press.
    I don't have any need for a fully automated press. As long as it allows for all the functions needed to reload with each pull of the handle, I can place the cases and brass on it and index by hand if needed.
    In that regard, my question is, which progressive press has the most bullet proof priming system?
    On the inexpensive end of the progressive scale is the Lee auto breech lock pro.
    It uses the same priming system as the LCT which I like, very simple to set up and works just as designed , will run manual or auto index your choice. It will easily be 50 to 100% faster than the LCT even with no case feeder .
    The only change I would like would be if it used the 4 hole turrets instead of the bushings.
    It is the slowest of the Lee progressives but for me and I have had all the Lees and loaded a lot on them ,the ABLP is the simplest and my favorite of the Lees for the way I like to load. They are a bargain in my opinion . The LCT is still my favorite but it is nice to get a loaded round every pull of the handle when you want 500 or a thousand at a session .

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Frog View Post
    Or you could just get a Star Universal... the new owner of the company is assembling and restoring them and there is no more well made progressive press in the world! Just sayin'...

Froggie
    Yes sir on the Star, found one in 45acp great condition, auto-index, case feeder, and maybe one in 38 spl.

Have the whole gambit of progressives old Hornady Pro's, Projector's, LNL-AP's, Dillon 550, 650. Still looking
    for a CH 444 -45acp setup. Started on old Rock Chuckers, that was my form of progressive one size, one seat,
    prime off press, Old Lee autoprimes (round trays) everything in batches, still do with the prep part. Dillon 1050's,
    Ammo bots would be nice but that's the difference between "wants", "needs". All presses have "quirks" no matter
    what, all have fans, pro's and con's, what works for them and what doesn't. It can be just a preference, if you need
    a rack of Ammo bots, Mark VII's, to support your amount of shooting is great.....

-Rock

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheelguns 1961 View Post
    Why not start a new thread with this question...
    Instead of hijacking this one
    just askin'
    Size/Prime a few cases when starting off with a progressive and put them aside. You can plug them back into the process when a bad/odd case screws up in the priming station and continue loading.

I have messed with a few progressive presses and I have been impressed with Dillion. I currently own a Dillion 550 which I load all of my pistol rounds on. I personally couldn’t be happier. I spend far less time trouble shooting problems and more time loading good Ammo.

I would love to get a second Dillion 550 to set up for rifle loading. I don’t shoot or load in high enough volumes to justify the more expensive or larger presses.

My experience with Dillion Progressive presses has spoiled me to the point where I really don’t entertain the idea of any other brand of progressive press.

Check out my website www.theballisticassistant.com

I have a Hornaday LNL AP and it always functioned great. Standard dies, good control of cartridge OAL, nice normal powder measure(no sliding bar).

But had trouble with primer seating depth with primers not seating deep enough. It almost always picks up and presents primers as it should but I almost gave up on seating depth.
    There is a spring around the tube for spent primers that is used as a bumper if you let go of the handle. It's supposed to ease the shock if the ram from hitting bottom. That spring was bottoming out and stopping the ram from lowering enough to seat the primer. Priming seems to go alot better now. Adjustable primer depth on the Dillion sounds like a good idea though.

Another good thing about the LNL AP is that priming and powder charging are case activated.
    Oh great, another thread that makes me spend money.

Boolit Buddy
    If I was not going to own a proggy and had my choice in presses this would be very high on the list. The one I used was great they're well put together and super hard to beat for the money.

Also something I didn't mention was I thought both the Dillon and Hornady powder measures were excellent.

I agree with priming on the LNL being its weakness. There's a guy selling an alignment tool on ebay for the primer feed. Anyone tried it? I was thinking about making one on the lathe.

Boolit Buddy
    If I was not going to own a proggy and had my choice in presses this would be very high on the list. The one I used was great they're well put together and super hard to beat for the money.

Also something I didn't mention was I thought both the Dillon and Hornady powder measures were both excellent based on my use of them.

The 650 has the most reliable primer feed system there is, the Pro 2000 is a close 2nd with new APS strips.

As far as over all priming systems go that would be the 1050. Unlike the others, there is a swage station that gets every primer pocket ready for a primer before hand, then the primer is set to the depth the operator adjusted with an Allen wrench. If they had the rotary feed system of the 650, they would be perfect.

To get that you would have to go with the Mark 7 Revolution but they are new enough to not yet have the test of time.

Boolit Buddy
    Dillon first. I have 3 550B machines. Simplicity, service, and durability. Also would never part with a Lee 3 hole turret. Can quickly load a few rounds of pistol or rifle with the fastest set up. Took the automatic turning rod off and just turn the head by hand. And I also have a Stsr Universal with 2 tool heads- one in 45 acp and the other in 38 special wadcutter. The 38 wadcutter head stays on the machine. And an RCBS piggyback which has never had anything but 44 mag run through it. Had the RCBS progressive when it first came out but did not care for the priming strips.
    Back to the original question- Dillon 550B.
    Steve

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mousehouse View Post
    All great comments and thanks to everyone that has shared.

I don't know what I am going to do yet. I started on a Pacific single stage press (which I still have) 42 years ago when I was 10 years old. Lee and Dillons were next. Stopped reloaded 10 years ago after owning a gun shop and got burned out and didn't want to look at guns or reloading. Got everything moved into our new house a year of so ago and setup all of my loading stuff. Which got me thinking about loading and casting bullets again. I miss shooting, reloading and everything that comes along with it. Except the cleaning of all of the guns that were just shot. I have always hated that part.

So the big questions for me are as follows.
    How much shooting am I planning on doing?
    How much loading do I was to do and how fast?
    How much time do I have to load?
    Do I want to load in stages (deprime, prime then load at a later time)?
    and the list goes on and on.

I guess if I can't figure out what I want to do I will have to buy a couple of presses.
    you have it figured out.
    A suggestion that was not part of the question. Many here have a Lee Classic Turret in addition to a one hole single stage , they are so versatile for so many uses on the bench from case processing to loading small batches of multiple calibers , once set you have the turrets for calibers you use the most , you can change from one to the other in seconds including changing primer size and with out to big a rush give you 50 rounds in 20 minutes.
    For progressives for me it would be the ABLP if I wasn't so cheap (I'd rather spend on guns and bullets ) I would go with a Dillon , a 550 would cost me $1000.00 to $1200 set up they way I would want ( new equipment ) with the service Dillon has , if I was not in a hurry I would look for used.

Boolit Buddy
    I agree on the "couple presses" in the long term. I at least one want one for small primer and one for large primer. I'd probably be happy doing another LNL AP if only because I could change parts between them.

Quote Originally Posted by jmorris View Post
    The 650 has the most reliable primer feed system there is, the Pro 2000 is a close 2nd with new APS strips........
    On the slight chance someone owning or finding a Pro2000 these days is looking on....."new" APS strips can stay new indefinitely....if you store them flat. Storing them vertically will warp them, then their incredible reliability falls. I love the system....beats hell out of the new Pro Chucker's tube system.

Attachment 251091

Quote Originally Posted by pjh421 View Post
    I'd like to try out a 7 station RCBS. Maybe they've worked out the problems plaguing their early progressives. In my experience though, you simply can not go wrong with a Dillon. I wouldn't try to operate an ammo business with one but for home use I don't know of anything better.

I have a PC7, and like it, but it isn't ready for the masses. It's incedibly smooth....no powder jumping out of cases on rotation on this one. But it doesn't tolerate abuse in any form...don't force anything.....and the case feeder isn't reliable out of the box....you need to be a little "handy" for fixing their oversights with it. The basic design is great...it's just not finished and RBS doesn't seem to be in a hurry to perfect it.

The following video show how smooth it is.....at the end the ejection wire stopped it.....had to be adjusted just so....so I made a longer one by 1/8" and it suddenly became reliable.....typical. Not that hard to make it reliable...but you shouldn't have to.

Next video shows the difference on 1/8" makes
    Last edited by GWS; 11-12-2019 at 09:13 PM.

Take it from someone that doesn't reload because it is fun, but necessary. I don't like to reload, but I do like to shoot. I have 2 Dillon 650's a Dillon 550 and a RCBS Rockchucker and I can load anything but 22 LR. The Dillon 650 is without peer in it's price, diversity and dependability. If there was a better press, I would get it. It works and has worked for years and 10's of thousands of rounds.

Forget all the nuances of depriming first, flasholes, trimming and a host of other time wasting measures, get the Dillon and start cranking out good ammo fast...

Boolit Buddy
    That's a lot of Dillon progressives. You've only got 2 arms!

Seriously though if I had that kind of shooting habit I'd be thinking about a Mark 7 or similar. There comes a point where it pays to "press up" although if I had a bridgeport I'd probably already be scheming on how to build my own reloading system. Just not there yet.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast