WidenersReloading EverythingRepackboxSnyders Jerky
Inline FabricationLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Titan Reloading RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Progressive presses

Boolit Master
    I loved my Dillon SDB until I wanted to reload bottleneck rifle rounds. I got a single stage for Christmas. I liked it and still use it, but sold the SDB and bought a Dillon 550C. OOH BABY, I have been I love since!

Boolit Master

I agree the Dillon 550 is a great machine. I have two of them. If you run across a Lee Pro 1000 at a good price, consider it for decapping pistol brass prior the wet tumbling. With a collator you can decap a lot of brass in a hurry. It will function as a loading tool but is finicky. If you are mechanically inclined and on a limited budget it will load ammo.

Pros and cons on the progressive reloaders you are using and why you decided on that brand.

Dillon
    Hornady
    Lee
    RCBS
    I have or have had progressives from all of the above. I currently have at least one of all of the Dillon’s on my bench right now, except the 750. The 650 has the most reliable primer feed system out of any progressive and that’s the biggest change they made with the new 750 press, it has the primer system like the one used on the 550.

The Lee’s will be the cheapest but will require more from the user. The Hornady’s come with “free” bullets but are not as friendly when it comes to case feed. RCBS has their own case feed issues on the new ones. Dillon’s will set you back the most but there is a reason for that and they only go up in value, the longer you have them.

Boolit Master
    This is pretty loaded question with lots of answers!
    I have a few progressive Press's: Two Dillion's, Two CH Auto Champions ( MK 4 & MK 5) Four PW 600's One Lee Pro 1000 and a Lee Breech Lock Pro.

Interestingly the Breech lock is the only press that I've bought new in about 35 or so years!

The reason was simple: Lee's Breech Lock Pro was, dollar for dollar, simple the best buy on the market.

Dillion's are very nice of course but they've gotten pricey in the last 15 years but with a very good warranty. Auto Champ's, like many other good press's, simply aren't made any more, the Lee Pro 1000 got regulated to a decapping press, seems to me they should have made this a Four station press ( which they did with the Breech lock Pro) and I consider the Loadmaster a dog that's way to complicated for what it does.

Dillion, Hornady, and RCBS make very nice Press's but in today's tight dollar tight budget world the Lee press is a unit that really should be given serious thought before hard earned money is parted with.

the same with out of "print" press's, if there the right price buy but those press's are some times not worth the asking price, at least not in a practical situation, to have one to just say you have one is a different matter all together!

So I post this not as a Pro Lee buyer ( yes they've had a lemon or two over the years) but more to point out, especially to new reloader's, that you can make excellent reloads without breaking the bank!

So this is written as food for thought, but remember: no matter what you buy,or spend, enjoy our hobby!

HM

Boolit Master

I bought a Dillon 450 when they came out 35+yrs ago. Customer Service left a lot to be desired. Sold it to my Buddy. He blew up a Uberti SA and a 1866.
    Sold him my old Mec 650. Blew up a Stoeger Rds 12ga. I loaded up to 5-6,000rds a year for about 25yrs on that Mec. Only bloopers were my little brother's jokes.

Ended up with Hornady Pro-Jector. 5 positions and I could load .30-06 without contorting my wrist/fingers.
    And the cast iron/steel drum powder measure was A LOT BETTER then a cheap sliding aluminum bar.

Bought a Dillon SDB in .38Spl to load my Kids Cowboy Ammo. Used to dump/leak powder. Sent the whole thing back to Dillon. Got a new one. Seemed to lock up halfway through turning the shell plate. Gave up on Dillon.

Bought RCBS Piggyback 2, works great use it for all .32S&W to .32H&R and .32ACP, 9mm too.

The Hornady L-N-L is Fantastic. Works smooth .38Spl to .45Colt. And .223, .308 and .30-06 for the semi-auto's.

Have Zero interest in Auto case-feed, bullet feeders. Or any auto feature. Except the auto-index on my 2 presses. Neither has ever failed.

One thing about My using A Progressive Press.
    I don't resize or prime on a Progressive. I can't prime because it exacerbates my tennis elbow. Only way to fix that is split my forearm open and strap the muscle down to the bone. And I figure if I have to decap, I might as well resize too. It adds in final case inspection.
    Just the way I do it.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Might as well put in my 2c worth. I started off with a Lee Value Turret, it works well and I still use it for loading .44-40 (I've learned through experience that progressive presses can chew up the thin-walled cases in nothing flat!).
    Next was a Pro1000, it worked fairly well but needed tweaking a fair bit. I bought a second one which I used for priming only, using the other one for powder/boolit seating. Priming was its weak point. I eventually sold one and use one purely for decapping/resizing .38sp.
    Then came a Lee Loadmaster. When it's working it works well, but the priming system was unreliable and nothing I did would make it absolutely reliable.
    Finally I bought a Dillon 650. I've modified it a bit but it's proven to be reliable and consistent (except when I get a primer in sideways, but that's my fault, not the machine's). Engineering-wise it's a very nice piece of equipment.

I enjoy reading replies on this thread topic. It must be the most asked question on the reloading forum. I have owned and/or still own Dillon presses, Lee presses, and RCBS presses. From old models to new models Dillon makes the best for the money when all things are considered. From top to bottom and old to new models Dillon presses are the best but Lee and RCBS have much to offer and I think they are also money well spent. Hornady presses (progressive only comment) almost caught me several times but they never won me over after personal review and experimentation with other reloader's equipment.

Since you had a Dillon 650 in the past you are familiar with the model and the company. Seems like your new interest in progressives will lead you to obvious conclusions. Lee now as before specializes in machinery which requires intense owner involvement the more complex their model is. They work but not without owner effort of a high order. RCBS progressives have a continuing history of problems that mystify me considering the overall excellence of their product line. Dillon machines are superior but Lee and RCBS product lines, down the line are, really quite competitive or superior
    in many instances. My reloading choices are Dillon for progressive presses but what ever works best for every other item.

regards,

Boolit Buddy
    Used a 550 and a LNL AP in the progressive space. I thought the priming on the 550 was more robust than the LNL AP which seems finicky to me at least IME. The sliding up primer tube thing is annoying as all get out. I like the extra station but watch out for the powder measure popping up as it spins some times. They supposedly make a lock washer for it you can ask for. I need to. Didn't mind manual indexing as much as one would think and in some ways auto indexing is a headache.

My buddy has a 1050 set up as a Mark 7. Obviously that's a pretty hard core setup. He had problems with the primers that didn't seem to be insignificant. I think a setup like that has a very steep learning curve however. If you wanna crank ammo that's the way to do it though if you've got the wallet.

In terms of the Lee Pro 1Ks they are cheap and the people I've known with them seem to buy a few and set them up (and keep them set up for) one caliber combination. Just food for thought there as I've seen that more than once.

No experience on Lee Progressives, however I did like their Classic Turret save the indexing which kind of sucked IMO. I liked the press way better manually indexed.

Something else I would buy if you get the LNL AP is more of the adjusters for the powder measure. I have 3 I think for pistol caliber, it makes it where you can just slam in another caliber. I've been meaning to take a piece of delrin and see if I can do a fixed grain setup but haven't done it yet. I certainly should I could make em super cheap and just keep em with the dies as I need em.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mousehouse View Post
    1hole got me thinking about progressive presses again when I was looking at going to a turret press for a third press.

I use to have a Dillon 650 years ago but sold it because it was collecting dust and I got burned out on shooting and everything related to it.

I am wanting to look at all of my options and would love some feedback on what people of this board are using. Pros and cons on the progressive reloaders you are using and why you decided on that brand.

Dillon
    Hornady
    Lee
    RCBS
    etc.

I am liking the Hornady at the moment. But Dillon has the 750.

Comments, thoughts?
    There are so many things to consider when recommending equipment it's hard to make a recommendation without more information .
    If you shoot in competitions , rifle , pistol or both if you do is it bullseye or do you need 1000 rounds a week of 1 or 2 calibers ?
    Or do you want to load for 15 or 20 or more calibers in more modest quantities for basically fun shooting ?
    Do you want to invest hundreds or thousands in the equipment .
    We have a great selection of equipment to choose from and different combinations work well for different people . We have so many choices because we have different priorities .

Boolit Master
    Being a slow learner, it took four progressive machines over many years to realize that my 1960s Texan Turret press was adequate for my handgun cartridge loading needs. I probably shoot no more than 6 - 8 thousand rounds a year in 9mm, .38 Special , .44 Special, .45 ACP/ Auto Rim, and .45 Colt. If I shot a lot more than that, I'd probably use a progressive. A turret press may not be as fast, but the versatility for those that like to experiment with load development and load in small test batches and the cost, speed, and simplicity of changeover is unmatched by a progressive.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by lotech View Post
    Being a slow learner, it took four progressive machines over many years to realize that my 1960s Texan Turret press was adequate for my handgun cartridge loading needs. I probably shoot no more than 6 - 8 thousand rounds a year in 9mm, .38 Special , .44 Special, .45 ACP/ Auto Rim, and .45 Colt. If I shot a lot more than that, I'd probably use a progressive. A turret press may not be as fast, but the versatility for those that like to experiment with load development and load in small test batches and the cost, speed, and simplicity of changeover is unmatched by a progressive.
    We have similar appetites for ammunition I enjoy loading on my turret press much more than any of the progressives I have had , I load for a lot of different calibers and over all the turret is probably faster because set up takes seconds , I find it much more enjoyable .
    I do still use a progressive but for calibers that I load 500 or more rounds at a time but watching 4 or more stations at a time is more like work than fun for me.

Boolit Master
    I have found that de-priming before running cases thru any progressives I own is what makes them run almost trouble free.
    Doing this, before tumbling or not, keeps all the primer debris off the press and identifies the crimped primer cases to be dealt with before the progressive operation.
    Many also prime cases before starting to load on progressives as a way to limit problems while loading.
    Some purists consider this method as not true progressive loading and a short coming of the press in use, but I would modify the operation/sequence of any progressive to get better results, regardless of the brand.
    That's the beauty of reloading, so many endless possibilities to do it your way...

edit: checkout my new sig line
    Last edited by Kenstone; 11-06-2019 at 01:45 PM.
    Size/Prime a few cases when starting off with a progressive and put them aside. You can plug them back into the process when a bad/odd case screws up in the priming station and continue loading.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenstone View Post
    I have found that de-priming before running cases thru any progressives I own is what makes them run almost trouble free.
    Doing this, before tumbling or not, keeps all the primer debris off the press
    Exactly my thinking. It's amazing how much crud builds up on the de-priming press.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenstone View Post
    Doing this, before tumbling or not, keeps all the primer debris off the press
    Quote Originally Posted by dikman View Post
    Exactly my thinking. It's amazing how much crud builds up on the de-priming press.
    Me to when I get 5 or 6 coffee cans of brass I have a depriming and brass cleaning session bag um up until ready to load them again. I do prefer to prime on the press for handgun ammo the two presses I use the most are the Lee classic turret and the auto breech lock pro they use the same system which after my learning curve works great and trouble free for me.
    The LCT is also the cleanest press I have for the depriming job it captures 99% of the mess.

Boolit Grand Master
    I have a RCBS, Hollywood, Star, Dillon, and Lee.
    I always seem to go back to the Lee Pro 1000.
    Load 30 Carbine, .223, 45acp, 38spl, 9mm, on it.

Boolit Buddy
    I just loaded a few 100 rounds last night on my Hornady AP after not using it for 8 or so months and I have to say it was quite boring. Been loading rifle rounds on the single stage press and was a little excited that I needed some .40 cal round so I could mess around with the AP press again. Took a few minutes to get the powder measure set for 4.5 grains of Unique, filled the 3D printed case feeder, loaded some Lee tumble lubed bullets in the bullet tube feeding the Mr Bullet Feeder die and dropped 100 primers in the feed tube. Sat down ready to get started, pulled the handle a couple times and before I knew it I was out of primers. Filled the primer tube, case and bullet feeder again and had another 100 rounds loaded. Guess its good that everything just runs smooth on the AP press but dang just setting there pulling the handle was kind of boring, got all excited when the bullet feeder die failed to feed a couple bullets but the next case into the die came out with a bullet so the only excitement I got was actually having to set a bullet on a couple cases.

Boolit Buddy

Started with Hornady 5 station progressive in 1982.
    Up graded to the Lock & Load with the Great priming system and great E-Ject system.
    No problems at all!
    Would not consider changing!
    Hornady has fantastic service/help line and stands behind their products 100%.

They have been mentioned but I guess I will honestly state that I load on a Lee Pro1000. This was the simplest press on the market until the ABLP was released. Use to be that pistol dies were sold in 3 die sets which would fill a Pro1000, and that is just the way I use it. Yes I prime on this press, yes I have a second shell plate carrier and have shell plates for 380, 9mm, 45acp and 38/357. With these shell plates I could also load 223 and 40S&W if I had one and bought dies. With the case feeder this is all the press I need to make more than I can use in a short amount of time.

Boolit Mold
    All great comments and thanks to everyone that has shared.

I don't know what I am going to do yet. I started on a Pacific single stage press (which I still have) 42 years ago when I was 10 years old. Lee and Dillons were next. Stopped reloaded 10 years ago after owning a gun shop and got burned out and didn't want to look at guns or reloading. Got everything moved into our new house a year of so ago and setup all of my loading stuff. Which got me thinking about loading and casting bullets again. I miss shooting, reloading and everything that comes along with it. Except the cleaning of all of the guns that were just shot. I have always hated that part.

So the big questions for me are as follows.
    How much shooting am I planning on doing?
    How much loading do I was to do and how fast?
    How much time do I have to load?
    Do I want to load in stages (deprime, prime then load at a later time)?
    and the list goes on and on.

I guess if I can't figure out what I want to do I will have to buy a couple of presses.

Boolit Grand Master

I'm a loyal Dillon customer. Their presses work well without having to be tinkered with and you have that famous Dillon support if you ever need it. I kind of always wanted a Star, just because, but I doubt that I will ever get one.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast