Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionRepackboxLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Wideners
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Progressive presses

Phlier, very well put! Mixed press benches can live happily together.

I have a JR3 press, a Lee 3 hole turret and a Lee Pro1000 and like you they all get used differently and yes they do get used. I wish I shot enough to warrant a 650/750 or 1050 press but I don't and don't see it anytime in the future..

Boolit Buddy
    Honady charged me for the parts to get my LNL AP priming system functional again even though they were revised parts to (obviously) remediate a design flaw. Gonna have to ding points for that. RCBS sent me parts without even asking for my Uniflow. Big contrast in service there IMO. Yeah I got it used but RCBS never made an excuse for that.

Re:Classic Turret

If I didn't have the LNL AP I would have a Classic Turret. It's a great press and even better when you factor in the price honestly and if I see one for a good deal I'm going to take it home. The disadvantage to the LNL AP is minimal IMO especially when I factor in the time spent dealing with the stupid primer feed.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by kmw1954 View Post
    Phlier, very well put! Mixed press benches can live happily together.

I have a JR3 press, a Lee 3 hole turret and a Lee Pro1000 and like you they all get used differently and yes they do get used. I wish I shot enough to warrant a 650/750 or 1050 press but I don't and don't see it anytime in the future..
    I still use Lee turret every now and then. And the 1000. And Rockchucker and an old CH single and a portable RCBS small single (bolted on a chair with a case trimmer for garden use).

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by drac0nic View Post
    The wire setup looks cool. Is there a thread on that? I can kind of see where it goes but not totally. I do notice that ejection is kind of not great with .38 Specials.
    That's the old setup for LnL AP's. They make a upgrade kit to change it all out to the new style, but the shell plate isn't machined for it so you would have to get all new ones. Hornady may still offer a machining service to modify them.

Quote Originally Posted by AR-Bossman View Post
    Yeah that's why ebay's loaded with fixit up Dillon parts and why Dillon just changed their whole press to a different primer system.
    The difference is the Dillon does not need any of the fix it up parts to work well. They work well without any additions. They are the overwhelming choice of competitors (like USPSA ) who load and shoot massive quantities of ammunition for a good reason : they just work well. I have 2 650s for twenty years and the primer mechanism works great. I suspect they changed it for another reason (ease or cheaper to make.). If not a Dillon, I would look at the Hornady .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Petander View Post
    I also see powder granules collecting on/under the LNLAP shellplate. I'm loading test batches now, 50-100 rds a day. I cleaned on and under the plate a week ago,now there's powder again.

Don't know when/where they fall/fly/drop from? But they will find their way to the priming system causing trouble, another reason to prime beforehand.

Can this be a user / adjustment error? My 357 case is really full of slow powder, it looks like the shellplate is doing a tiny "shake" when the ram goes up and plate goes down,clicking to the next stop. Could it throw some granules overboard then? Adjustment?

Or something wrong with the -otherwise excellent- powder measure system?

This thread is making me want a Dillon of my own. I don't enjoy changing calibers anyway.
    You may be having powder jump from your cases even with the longer revolver brass.

The other and greater possibility is powder bridging in the measure and falling out as the case is being withdrawn from the case activated charge die. I notice you are using a relatively coarse powder.

If you are getting delayed powder drops you may want to revisit Hornady’s recommendation on prepping your measure (getting all the oil residue off the measure’s internals. Hornady uses some pretty sticky stuff to protect these from rusting. As I recall they urge new owners of the LNL AP’s to use their One Shot case lube which also dry lubes for even better powder transfer.

I did the One Shot procedure with my measure but had powder bridging with my 223 ammo. My thought was to add a small vibrator motor to keep the powder from hanging up. I have not gone back to rifle on that press though.

I did a batch of 380 Auto with red dot powder and had the cases twitching powder out after that.

Never a dull moment.

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

Boolit Master
    I also see powder granules collecting on/under the LNLAP shellplate. I'm loading test batches now, 50-100 rds a day. I cleaned on and under the plate a week ago,now there's powder again.

Don't know when/where they fall/fly/drop from? But they will find their way to the priming system causing trouble, another reason to prime beforehand.

Can this be a user / adjustment error? My 357 case is really full of slow powder, it looks like the shellplate is doing a tiny "shake" when the ram goes up and plate goes down,clicking to the next stop. Could it throw some granules overboard then? Adjustment?

Or something wrong with the -otherwise excellent- powder measure system?

This thread is making me want a Dillon of my own. I don't enjoy changing calibers anyway.
    Here's some vids that relate to powder spillage:
    https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...owder+spillage
    Size/Prime a few cases when starting off with a progressive and put them aside. You can plug them back into the process when a bad/odd case screws up in the priming station and continue loading.

Boolit Master
    Thank you - I paid more attention to the spill,powder really is jumping from cases when they stop after being filled. That's when a strange little shake happens,the shellplate goes back and forth.

Vihtavuori N110 tends to fill cases,causing more powder jump.

It's possible to put a finger on top of case just before the stop/shake happens,then seat the bullet.

I LOVE my XL650 and 550b

I use the XL650 for processing rifle brass, and bulk 1000 round loading.

I use the 550b for smaller batch stuff like 41 magnum

I've heard a lot of guys over the years at USPSA/IPSC matches say stuff like

" I finally sold my brandX press and got a Dillon, what a wonderful machine"

I've NEVER heard anyone say anything like

"I sold my dillon and got a brandX and like it so much better"

NRA LIFE Member

USPSA/IPSC

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by derek45 View Post
    I LOVE my XL650 and 550b

I use the XL650 for processing rifle brass, and bulk 1000 round loading.

I use the 550b for smaller batch stuff like 41 magnum

I've heard a lot of guys over the years at USPSA/IPSC matches say stuff like

" I finally sold my brandX press and got a Dillon, what a wonderful machine"

I've NEVER heard anyone say anything like

"I sold my dillon and got a brandX and like it so much better"

Dillon makes excellent reloading equipment no question about that if it did not have advantages it would be foolish to pay one cent more for it than something that cost less .
    If you don't need those advantages it's Kinda like buying a 1 ton dually truck to drive to the grocery store .
    For my 100 to 200 rounds a week it would be a little silly to spend 3 or 4 times as much . If I bought Dillon equipment it would only be to have Dillon equipment I am not a collector so I buy what serves my need.
    Oh and I got rid of my heavy truck when I sold my heavy equipment . I drive a 1/2 ton
    We all have different needs I buy what I need but nothing wrong with buying what you like if your are an equipment junkie. I am a gun junkie no reasonable excuse for most of the guns I buy.

Boolit Master
    I've been googling around for a Dillon.

550 is manual index? Why is that being advertised as such a great feature?

Boolit Master
    Because you can stop and fix an oops at any station without it automaticly moving more cases into the mess and you can back it up if needed. Also, once you are used to the manual advance, it becomes automatic to the point it doesn't slow things much if any. Any round can be pulled at any station or replaced at any time without having to clear the whole batch on the press and start over. I have a Star progressive that is a royal pita when anything goes wrong. I really like the Dillon 550. It will easily load 400/500 rounds per hour which is more speed than I need.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by rbuck351 View Post
    Because you can stop and fix an oops at any station without it automaticly moving more cases into the mess and you can back it up if needed. Also, once you are used to the manual advance, it becomes automatic to the point it doesn't slow things much if any. Any round can be pulled at any station or replaced at any time without having to clear the whole batch on the press and start over. I have a Star progressive that is a royal pita when anything goes wrong. I really like the Dillon 550. It will easily load 400/500 rounds per hour which is more speed than I need.
    Yeah, I didn't notice the manual advance slowing me down on the 550. I would say its biggest flaw is probably that it only holds 4 dies which is a limitation a lot of people are fine with. As said before even Lee Classic Turret compared to a wasn't a huge downgrade in my mind.

Boolit Master
    It's also handy when setting up and adjusting dies and powder measure.

Boolit Grand Master

The 550B also is considerably less expensive per caliber change than the 650/750/ and 1050. I regularly loaded for 11 different cartridges and that could really add up. The 550B's (I have two) will load match quality ammo for rifles and pistols.

FWIW
    Dale53

Boolit Master
    Yeah,I guess it's just my many years with Hornady LNLAP and auto index,never had a problem. Never missed manual index.

I also have a Lee 1000 and a Lee turret, used them for a while but they are collecting dust & rust now.

This thread really is whetting my appetite for a Dillon. Most probably 750 set for 357 mag.

Boolit Master

Never missed manual index.
    I certainly wouldn't classify manual index as superior!
    "There is nothing like looking, if you want to find something."
    ~Thorin Oakenshield

Boolit Master
    I like the accessories.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20191213_092709_154.JPG 
Views:	51 
Size:	78.5 KB 
ID:	252913

Boolit Master
    For the most part the more complex the press is the more you have to adjust trouble shoot and maintain
    when you have primer feeders bullet feeders case feeders 3 to 7 stations and auto indexing you can put out piles of ammo in a short time but totally inefficient if you want to run small batches of several cartridges . And if you have a problem you have a lot of things going on at the same time that can lead to dangerous or defective ammunition. This is not a cut to them but more a reason the 550 appeals to a lot of people it's not superior , it's simpler but still fast enough for what many need . Simple and fast both have compromises we pick what we think works for our needs and budget and not unimportant enjoyment in using the equipment.

Boolit Master
    Yep,it's just me being used to auto index.

I don't trust myself to learn new kind of attention needed. I see myself loading double charges...

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast