MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLoad DataReloading Everything
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRepackboxWideners
RotoMetals2 Snyders Jerky

Thread: Pauls Thorn in the Flesh??? discussion for people that study the word.

USMC 77, USRA 79

Pauls Thorn in the Flesh??? discussion for people that study the word.

Discussion for folks that study the Bible

2 Corinthians 12:6-7 NKJV
    [6] For though I might desire to boast, I will not be a fool; for I will speak the truth. But I refrain, lest anyone should think of me above what he sees me to be or hears from me. [7] And lest I should be exalted above measure by the abundance of the revelations, a thorn in the flesh was given to me, a messenger of Satan to buffet me, lest I be exalted above measure.

Sooooo fellow Bible folks.... What is Pauls Thorn in the flesh??? when I ask bible people, lots of folks say different things... like eyes, and old age, all sorts of stuff...

what do you think it is and dont forget to back it up in a reders digest condensed format.

after a bit I will tell you what I believe it to be....
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

Boolit Buddy
    About the only clue I know of is found in Gal 6:11 where Paul writes, "See with what large letters I have written to you with my own hand!" NKJV
    This may be indicative that Paul was going blind and that he wrote this letter with his own hand for a great show of impact to those at Galatia.
    Other than that, I'm not sure and I certainly wouldn't be dogmatic about any opinion that I held on this subject.

Boolit Master

After some study on this very subject a year or so back, I came to the conclusion that Paul's thorn in the flesh was the constant resistance he received from his Jewish brethren. He was run out of town, beaten, jailed, stoned, shipwrecked, and dozens of other perils during the course of his ministry. All this due to his belief in Christ.
    Mark 5:34 And He said to her (Jesus speaking), "Daughter, your faith has made you well. Go in peace and be healed of your affliction."

Boolit Grand Master
    A quick search showed various opinions and theories. It cannot be determined so we are left to speculate.

If it had mattered, the Bible would have told us. What matters is how Paul and God dealt with it. It seems God did not intercede and Paul was left to deal with what afflicted him.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    Well my vote is on a women but I might be a bit jaded .... I think the point is my grace is sufficient
    when the dust settles and the smoke clears all that matters is I hear the words " well done my good and faithfully servant "

<(*)(()><

Boolit Master

Paul had eye problems:

"What then has become of your blessedness? For I testify to you that, if possible, you would have gouged out your eyes and given them to me." Gal 4:15

"See with what large letters I am writing to you with my own hand." Gal 6:11

Jesus caused Paul's temporary blindness on the road to Damascus (Acts 9:8-9) and subsequently healed him (Acts 9:18).

Imagine you are used by God to spread the Gospel and work miracles. However, you are now suffering from a progressing condition that, as far as you know, was caused by God. You are also under the belief that you were fully healed many years ago. That would challenge your faith in some fashion I am sure.*

Was this his thorn in the flesh? I think so.

* I am sure more than one of the early Christians had their faith challenged when a malady Jesus had healed recurred some years later. "Doesn't God care anymore?" they might ask.

USMC 77, USRA 79

I think that this was his thorn in the flesh..

a messenger of satan to buffet me...

I am with smoked turkey.. when you look up the word Buffet in Strongs, it is clear to me.

marko

Boolit Grand Master

And, as a Pharisee Rabi marriage was a qualifying requirement. We hear nothing of a wife - and maybe we take 'flesh' a little to literally. I've always been taught it was his eyesight, a major problem for one who traveled, read, and studied most of his life.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

In Remembrance / Boolit Grand Master Boaz's Avatar
    It's interesting to speculate but I believe it would matter little if we knew . I too have wondered about it . Paul used it to make a bigger point in his telling of it and that is the focus ?
    No turning back , No turning back !

USMC 77, USRA 79

Strong's Definition
    From a derivative of the base of G2849; to rap with the fist: - buffet.
    Thayer's Definition
    to strike with the fist, give one a blow with the fist
    to maltreat, treat with violence and contumely

there you have it... here is the part of the verse that says..

2 Corinthians 12:7 KJVS
    [7] And lest I should be exalted above measure through the abundance of the revelations, there was given to me a thorn in the flesh, the messenger of Satan to buffet me, lest I should be exalted above measure.

pretty cut and dried to me...

Boolit Master
    Years before Paul wrote this, he went by the name of Saul. Saul, believing he was doing Gods will, went about persecuting the Christians. He did so with the blessing and direction of the Jewish religious leaders of the day.
    I think the persecution Paul faced after his conversion from those who shared his previous beliefs was the thorn he spoke of.

Moderator Emeritus

Not sure how this fits in here, but I've long thought that "thorn" was given to Paul in order to be a constant reminder of his subservience to the Lord, and to keep him humble. Just because the disciples were chosen does NOT make them perfect. They had a lot of learning to do, and Christ was their teacher. And yet, as will all of us, those old weaknesses just have a way of arising and interfering with our intended plans when we least expect it, and often when we're at our weakest in ability to fend these weaknesses off. Maybe that's the reason Christ offers us re-commitment and reconciliation?

USMC 77, USRA 79

@blackwater when we are weak, he is strong.