Load DataTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2RepackboxLee PrecisionWideners
Snyders Jerky Inline Fabrication

Thread: Moly/beeswax the best!!

Moly/beeswax the best!!

Best lube I've tried by Glen Fryxell 50/50 moly/beeswax! I added a small amount of Carnuba wax, and ZERO leading, at 2000 plus fps. Thanks to Mr. Fryxcell! It's only taken me 2 yrs of experimenting with lubes, and this was right in front of me!! Forgot to say, I'm chasing higher velocity with this in 30-06.
    Last edited by MaxJon; 11-05-2019 at 07:23 PM.
    THE ONLY WAY YOU CAN HIT THE CENTRE OF THE TARGET IS WITH A CENTREFIRE!!!

Boolit Buddy
    When I joined this site 8 years ago, I read about it and decided to make it. It's all I have used in pistols & rifles since making the first batch. I like it too !

I like it too, but I don't like how it stinks when you make it, how dirty it is when you shoot it, and how it leaves a moly residue on the barrel that effects cold-barrel-first-shot situation. You basically must leave the fouling in the barrel if you want it to shoot where you had it when you put it away.

I think it is a better lube in terms of performance to both Felix lube and Carnuba blue, both of which have left a little lead fouling behind most of the time. I think Carnuba blue is far too sticky--every bullet I've caught in gel has has upwards of 80% remaining on the bullet. That lube needs to be pushed HARD...maybe it would be good for full power 30 caliber rifle loads and such. It is not good in 38 special at all.

I am yet to chrono, but by book speeds, I estimate approx 2200 thus far, with zero leading! I need to chrono my loads, to confirm.
    It's by far the best lube I've tried. Its does smell when cooking, but the bore results are worth it!

Bullbarrel, do you experience major POI change with the first shot on a clean barrel?

I've been thinking of giving this lube a try for the moly benefits. I have a rifle that's got a pitted bore and my theory is that moly lube will help eleminate leading and increase accuracy.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by curioushooter View Post
    You basically must leave the fouling in the barrel if you want it to shoot where you had it when you put it away.
    Well -- yeah. That's the beauty of shooting our casties -- we don't have to do all that silly barrel cleaning thing.

I have to do further testing, to confirm the cold shot theory......I'm waiting on a new front tunnel sight.

Boolit Master
    So how much is a 'little' carnuba and what is the source of your carnuba?

Next batch I make will be Glen's stuff.

I went with the 45/45/10 recipe. 10 being the Carnuba wax, from Bunnings here in Australia

Boolit Buddy
    bullbarrel, which grease did you use?

A fellow aussie needs to know

Is that 45/45/10 by weight or volume? Seems like a lot of Carnuba.

Boolit Master
    Thanks

Penrite Molybdenum grease, from Repco. Maybe not quite 10% Carnuba but close.close

Well -- yeah. That's the beauty of shooting our casties -- we don't have to do all that silly barrel cleaning thing.
    Lead fouling effects accuracy adversely. Also putting guns away with fouling promotes corrosion and in humid climates destroys them.

My solution is to shoot a day or two before I go to use a firearm. Annoying but it is the only way I've found so far. And for the record I have a safe with a heater...it still rusts if you don't clean and oil it when done (I find that Hornady One Shot on a patch and run down the barrel works well).

Boolit Buddy
    I'm curious to try this so have the ingredients sorted. Bought the moly grease at the local auto parts store and already have some carnuba flakes.
    The beeswax should be here in a couple of days.

Just wondering if you've thrown any bullets lubed with this recipe back into the pot and how it went. Any problems?.
    I quite often use lubed rejects or overflow from my LAMII to enhance fluxing. I know the beeswax is great for this, how does the moly grease behave?