Load DataRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyWideners
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Lee Precision Repackbox

Thread: Lee Auto Breech Lock Pro

Boolit Master

Lee Auto Breech Lock Pro

I have a Lee Auto Breech Lock Pro and it was working just fine until tonight. The case feeder failed miserably. I looked at the red plastic rail that the cases slide on and there is a divot worn in it. It looks like it might be from the cases dropping from the feed tubes?

The upsetting part about all this is - I've only loaded less than 500 rounds on it. Am I doing something wrong?

I have yet to experience that though I have heard of others that have. The new plastic cover is only a few dollars at Titan and I can point you to a youtube video on how to replace it if you need it.

I wish the would have made the carrier just as they did with the Pro1000. I would have played a bit more for it.

Can a little j-b weld repair work?

Boolit Master
    I have had no problems with mine but I have only 5 or 6 thousand rounds loaded on it so far but here is the kit kmw1954 suggested ,
    https://www.titanreloading.com/lee-p...ty-family-mold $3.00
    I ordered the spare plastic parts kits with my press the plastic parts are cheap .
    I have had cases fall over , and if operated with the case laying on its side it could crush the case and damage the plastic part .
    I really like the ABLP but I tend to go at a slow and steady pace keeping an eye on case feed , primer feed and powder drop.
    Running it like I do I get 200 to 400 rounds an hour and am happy with that for my needs.
    But progressives requires our full attention to keep a small inconvenient issue from becoming a problem.
    For 10 or 12 dollars you can get all the plastic parts on hand just in case

Boolit Buddy
    The worst damage to the carrier cover (the whole red plastic part is called the carrier cover) occurs if a case misfeeds and jams between the tool head and the carrier cover at an angle because the base of the case will dig in and make a big depression in the carrier cover. This will eventually make the carrier cover spread out and thin to the point that the case slider block will not slide back and forth. I have had that occur twice and had to replace the carrier cover both times. The last time it occurred I tried to fix the carrier cover and could not get it to work. Fortunately, I had a couple of extras on hand and it only took about 10 minutes to replace the part and get it running again.

The last time I ordered parts from Lee I got two of the carrier covers (part #PR3711), two of the case slider blocks (part #90479), the molded parts kit (part #PR3691), two of the 3/8 inch steel balls (part #TR2433), two of the index springs (part #TR3742), and one case feed spring (part #TR2118). Some of the parts are considered to be warranty items and Lee did not charge for those, but I cannot remember which were the warranty parts. The case slider block is shown on the Auto Breech Lock Pro diagram but is actually a component of the case feeder and that is where the part number can be found.

The Auto Breech Lock Pro is a good little progressive press as long as the user recognizes its idiosyncrasies and is watchful for malfunctions. Although the system should, theoretically, be almost as fast as the Dillon 550B and Hornady Lock N Load progressives with case feeders, the rate of primer feed and case feed malfunctions is such that the operator must always be watchful, even moreso than with other progressives.

Gus Youmans

Banned

Send Lee a email and they will send you a new one. You will have to pay the shipping (maybe?) but they ship the absolute cheapest way. The new cover is made different than the original underneath.

They did not charge me for any of the parts. Calling them works too to not have to pay shipping. Done both ways.

Boolit Master
    KmW1954, how bout that video to replace the carrier cover?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Jaque Janaviac View Post
    KmW1954, how bout that video to replace the carrier cover?
    I'm not sure if this is the one he was talking about but it may work for you.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...75D1&FORM=VIRE

That would be the one and the same!

Boolit Master
    Thanks, but ugh, that bolt that frees the carrier assembly from the ram won't budge! I dribbled some penetrearing oil in there, but no joy. I used a cheater bar longer than the wee little crescent wrench used in the video and it just won't loosen.

Any ideas?

Maybe a 3/8" drive Allen head socket on a breaker bar with the ram raised all the way. I haven't heard yet if Lee is using Loc-tite on this. But you are not the 1st I have heard this from.

But once again, if Lee would have left well enough alone and made the carrier all metal like the Pro1000 this wouldn't even be an issue.

Boolit Bub
    No need to remove the hollow bolt in the ram. Remove the tool head three bolts. Remove the toggle link bolt and the lever Now slide the ram and carrier out of the top. Take out the 4 screws that’s hold the cover on and replace. It takes less time than it took me to type this.

Banned

The bolt will come out. You have to use something to give you leverage. It will pop then will be able to unscrew. I took mine off but if it is not needed then don't.

Boolit Master
    If you have a 3/8 air impact it should remove the Allen bolt easily with less stress on everything .

Banned

Just so you know it is not a bolt. It is a plug. As you tighten it, it wedges in a tapered seat. You just have to get it to crack. Meaning break loose. Then it comes out with tight resistance.