Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingWidenersRotoMetals2
RepackboxLoad DataInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A friend of a friend said

Boolit Master

A friend of a friend said

So my brother in law showed me some pictures of a blowed up rifel he said the guy put a 308 round in a 270 ? Will a 308 chamber in a 270 ?
    when the dust settles and the smoke clears all that matters is I hear the words " well done my good and faithfully servant "

<(*)(()><

In Remembrance

My guess is that a .308 will chamber in a .270 since the .270 is a longer case like a .30-06 and has the same case head diameter as a .308.

Edit to add, I also don't think anything good could come of making that mistake.
    Last edited by lead-1; 11-03-2019 at 10:32 PM.

Boolit Master

Knew a man who put a .308 winchester through a 25-06 rifle survived . A brother in law put a .308 winchester through a model of 1917 chambered in 264 win. mag. parts of stock and small parts on bolt and ejector did not , bullet stopped half way down barrel as brass could not seal chamber , rifle has been rebuilt and the gunsmith I gave it to has the bullet , nice and long.

The .308 is short enough, that it probably did do just that.

Years ago, I was talking to a guy who had a .357 lever gun and told about a fella he went shooting with.
    They got to talking and his buddy liked shooting the .357 and figured it'd be a lot cheaper to shoot them
    in his .30-30 if they would fit in the loading gate & magazine tube.

Never heard a range report,
    but he asked the fella what he thought was going to happen when that .38 cal. bullet tried to get down through that .30 cal barrel.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Grand Master

Like most of you, I have found the odd cartridge at the range that was fired in the wrong chamber. 308's in 30-06's. 300 Winchesters fired in 300 Weatherby's. Stuff like that. Luckily there are only a few that will fit in the wrong chamber that are dangerous. I guess a 270 has enough taper that the straighter 308 would wedge itself in the chamber tight enough to fire.

Boolit Master
    This happens with handguns as well. A while back a fellow brought us his new 9mm pistol that was acting funny. It didn't always fire the round in the chamber, and when it did the brass looked really odd when it came out of the chamber. He had just bought the pistol from a shop that had sample pistols in the front counter. He looked them over and decided to buy a 9mm. (This same model was also offered in .40 S&W.) The clerk went to the stock room to find him a "new in the box" 9mm but handed him a .40 W&S caliber model by mistake. They completed the 4473 form and all was well until the new owner tried to fire the pistol. When I told him what had happened he got excited and headed back to the seller's store. Wish I could relate how this transaction ended but the buyer never came back to us.

Boolit Master

I saw a nice old Sako blown up ! same senairo 308 in a 270

Boolit Grand Master

Yes it will! I had to scrap a Remington 760 pump gun that was destroyed like this. Fellow had two rifles just alike and got his son's by mistake...kaboom!

I was at my first high power match when a guy blew up his brothers m1a. The rifle let loose with a horrible bang. The guy stood the with the rifle to his shoulder, right hand holding the stock straight up and the forearm split in a Y all the way to the trigger guard. The barrel made.two flips in the air landing next to him. ..... The gunsmith who built his brother his new M1a drove out to see the guys reloading room. A can of aa5 was on the bench. Turned out the put 42/grains in a .308. He was.badly shook up and his forehead bled a lot but no real damage to.him. We all relearned a.lot that day.

Boolit Master

this reminds me, the longer i live upon the face of this earth, the more i see that the average person is lucky to possess enough brain cells to be able to breathe.

My First brother in law grabbed a .243 round left on the bench by my brother and fired it through his own .270 Ruger. The neck blew off, played sabot, and both it and bullet together landed in the group on the target.
    If you are lucky; poop will do for brains......

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by lefty o View Post
    this reminds me, the longer i live upon the face of this earth, the more i see that the average person is lucky to possess enough brain cells to be able to breathe.

This is true.
    I've come to realize the average person watches wrestling on Saturday night TV, and thinks its real.

You don't hear about it much any more, I think they've flushed out or been retired by now,
    but you used to hear about people loading .357Mags in old .38Spec. revolvers that had straight through bored cylinders.

Without the chamber shoulder in newer ones, the .357s would fit, and sometimes blew it apart.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Banned

I saw a Ruger 77 that the same thing happened in. Except.......the barrel and action were ok. The bolt was in need of replacement/repair though!

Boolit Buddy
    It happens all the time I'm sure whether guys admit to it or not is another story. Just last month I had a guy next to me shoot 40s in his 45acp 1911. To his defense when he went to buy 3 boxes of 45acp, clerk got him 2 boxes of 45acp and one of 40S&W. I know its still the shooters responsibility to double check everything but things happen. There was a picture of 16" .223 barrel with about half dozen .308 projectiles lined up like a train because 300AAC will chamber in .223 so be careful thats all.

Boolit Master

Went Dove Hunting with 2 friends years back. Roger shot a 28ga O/U, Ken shot 20ga Rem 1100 and Me, and old Mod 12 20ga.

Some How Ken got a 28ga shell in his pouch. Blew off his left thumb half off.
    Ken thought he had fired all three shells, only fired 2 third one was a 28ga. It's rim caught on the end of the chamber stopping it in the bbl. A 20ga went into the chamber.

BOOM

No matter how hot the action is on a Dove Shoot. Always IDENTIFY the shells going into your gun.

20ga are YELLOW
    28ga are RED
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Dad was deathly afraid of us getting a 16 gauge because of the chance of us sliding in the wrong shell. He said a 20 gauge is so different from a 12 gauge one can feel it but probably not a 16. Then, one day we had a friend give my brother and I a 16 gauge. We had to sell it. We didn't mind since Dad and Grandpa were people we listened to always. They didn't say much but when they vetoed something we listened. ..........
    A perfect example was hearing us talking about hanging a dead calf from the freeway bridge on halloween. He got us to hang a skinned out raccoon instead. Shazzam! A highway cop was under the bridge cutting down a calf when we started lowering the raccoon. All we could say after the roll through the feed grinder with the highway cops for three hours was the blind luck having Dad hear us.

Quote Originally Posted by Walks View Post
    Went Dove Hunting with 2 friends years back. Roger shot a 28ga O/U, Ken shot 20ga Rem 1100 and Me, and old Mod 12 20ga.

Some How Ken got a 28ga shell in his pouch. Blew off his left thumb half off.
    Ken thought he had fired all three shells, only fired 2 third one was a 28ga. It's rim caught on the end of the chamber stopping it in the bbl. A 20ga went into the chamber.

BOOM

No matter how hot the action is on a Dove Shoot. Always IDENTIFY the shells going into your gun.

20ga are YELLOW
    28ga are RED
    I have both a 16 gauge and a 12 gauge....you can't always go by color code of the shell.

I have purple and red 16 gauge....but I also have green and RED 12 gauge.

I have to be VERY careful...a 16 will slip into the barrel in front of a 12 also.

redhawk

The only stupid question...is the unasked one.
    Not all who wander....are lost.
    "Common Sense" is like a flower. It doesn't grow in everyone's garden.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

Boolit Grand Master
    My buddy told me a guy dropped a 28 ga shell into a 20 ga. When it did not fire he dropped in a 20 ga. Blew a Beretta over/under apart and he needed to go to emergency. Not pretty and the gun was totaled.
    Don Verna

Boolit Grand Master
    Yes. It will chamber.
    If it is a strong action, it might hold together.
    We have had a few rifles blow up at the range.
    Less that didn't.
    .308 in a .270.
    Not good.
    Every once in a while, I find some .308 that have been fired through a .30-06.
    Makes a nice straight case with a slight crimp at the opening.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast