Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyWidenersLoad Data
Repackbox RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Magazine springs weakening over time under load.

Magazine springs weakening over time under load.

I have seen many articles saying that leaving magazines loaded for long periods will ruin the springs and cause malfunctions.
    Is there a number or percentage of rounds less than maximum that can be left in a magazine for long periods that reduces this problem?

I was told by my gunsmith that the Israeli military has studied this and came to the conclusion that leaving the last two rounds out from full capacity, pretty much stops the failures even for long term storage of loaded magazines.
    I don't have a lot of extra magazines and need to have most if not all of them loaded at any given time for my defensive handguns. I really don't want to have failures at a bad time.
    I would gladly give up a round or so to maintain function.
    Do the newer handguns have better springs in this regard?
    Does anyone have any recent info into this?

Boolit Master

My understating is that springs get weaker from use not compression But i rotate my carry magazines every few months and my recoil springs get replaced on my 1911 after 3K rounds
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Boolit Grand Master
    Let me say whether magazine springs weaken over time depends on whether they were adequately designed in the first place.

Example: I have GI spec seven shot magazines that have been loaded for years with no function issues.

Ruger P97 magazines have such poor spring strength that after very little use they started puking the second to last or last shot out of the gun instead of feeding it.

My LCP 2 when kept fully loaded and magazine locked in place gives the magazine spring stack full possible compression and the gun started to fail to lock the slide back on empty after about a year and a half of this.

A weak magazine spring can lead to many malfunctions. A really good magazine design with good spring strength is resistant to problems from being maximally compressed. A poor magazine design with poor springs is not.

Hard to predict what you have until you have been around the block with it.

A good stiff magazine spring is often essential to autoloaders function especially as the gun gets more compact and slide cycle speeds go up.

Do not take it on faith springs last forever. As mentioned magazines fully loaded and in the gun experience maximal spring compression and set. I would trust my Wolff spring seven shot GI magazines in a full size 5 inch 45 1911 for long term heavy use and when inserted in the gun for long periods.

I would run like heck from the idea of carrying a 3.5 inch 45 1911 compact using Wilson 8 shot flush fit magazines for heavy use and when locked in the gun for long periods.

Whether leaving the magazines fully loaded and locked in the gun is a good idea or not depends on the question of what gun and what magazines are being used.

Quote Originally Posted by tazman View Post
    the Israeli military has studied this and came to the conclusion that leaving the last two rounds out from full capacity, pretty much stops the failures even for long term storage of loaded magazines.
    I do that most of the time.
    I don't worry about the springs so much, but getting my fingers pinched on that last one or two really screws up my concentration.

However; jumping up and down while cussing seems to make the pain go away faster.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Man
    Get a revolver. Problem solved.

Boolit Master

the whole leaving magazines loaded or hammers cocked is 100% hogwash. so long as a spring is within its design parameters you can leave it full, empty, or somewhere in between and it will never know the difference. cycling is what wears out a spring.

Quote Originally Posted by lefty o View Post
    the whole leaving magazines loaded or hammers cocked is 100% hogwash. so long as a spring is within its design parameters you can leave it full, empty, or somewhere in between and it will never know the difference. cycling is what wears out a spring.
    This exactly. There's going to be a *little* bit of break in from the factory, but it's going to be negligible. Cycling a spring is what contributes to wear, not a static load.
    MC-130J Driver
    Former T-6A Texan II Driver
    FAIP Mafia
    Hook 'em all

Boolit Grand Master
    Due to design deficiencies some of my magazines must have been beyond “design parameters” when left in a loaded gun. Some had very little “cycling” before they failed. They failed due to static load.

Too little spring in too large a space will do just that, and static load alone will cause it.

Question is....how do you know beforehand? You don’t. Time will tell.

Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post

However; jumping up and down while cussing seems to make the pain go away faster.
    Blast it man, now I have to clean my keyboard.

Quote Originally Posted by 35remington View Post
    Too little spring in too large a space will do just that, and static load alone will cause it.
    Question is....how do you know beforehand? You don’t. Time will tell.
    That happened to me last week when I went to try out a new batch of slightly tuned down 5.56.
    Awhile back I stumbled into a 1977 issue, 1:12 twist, marked as a .223, and almost unfired Colt AR-15.
    It had it's original Colt trademark stamped magazine, and I bought 4 more of a bargain priced, but well known manufacturer.

I've never had a magazine failure before.... ever,, with anything.
    I store these 4 empty and they're about 4 years old.

At the range, the next to the last round got about 1/2 way in, and at and angle, and the bolt closed against it.
    I tried 2 of the others and they did the same thing if I loaded them with 5 rounds, or almost full.

"What's wrong? How did I screw up 1,000 of these? 'Unloading' all of them is really going to suck"
    I tried different amounts of the same ammo in the old Colt magazine--- no problems.

Now I can think, 'Whew. Looks like I only need to buy 4 high end springs'.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    My father’s surplus 1911 only had one magazine. It was always fully loaded for over twenty years. It wasn’t shot often, maybe each year or two. In all that time it never had any issues.

In researching making springs for flintlocks, it is said never compress the spring fully right away. Compress it partly and release it slowly, compressing more each time until full travel is reached. I don’t know if this holds true for magazine type springs, but breaking them in might be something to think about.

Boolit Master
    Count me as another who never had problems with magazine springs within normal lifetime.

I did have problems with some GI magazines, BUT, these were magazines that were rejected by the unit armorer as unfit for use. I got them free and would mix and match parts until I got working mags (yes, this was many years ago). Some had dimples in the sides that I pounded out. Some had followers that were bent, etc, etc. Most of those worked reliably for many, many years after and a few stayed loaded with no ill effects. A few would just not work right so I would crush and toss those. Keep in mind that some of these were Korean war vintage and found their way into pistols used in basic training. So, old springs, lots of abuse, and they still worked fine.

My current magazines are Shooting Star or Wilson 8 rnd and they stay loaded. Probably going on 10 years now and never skip a beat.sd

Boolit Master
    My time in the army with the M-16 we used 20 rd metal magazines. We were told to load 18. I don't know if it was superstition or not but that was how we loaded and I never had any problems. I carried a glock23 on duty for 9 years. Except for actual firing those three issued magazines were carried fully loaded at all times 24/7. Glock had issues and redesigned and replaced our magazines twice in the first year, but those magazines are still fully functional.
    I rotate magazines in my carry gun, every month or three. (I intend to do it monthly but....) I rarely carry a spare magazine so a magazine will rest for 2 out of three cycles.
    My experience with Colt 1911 magazines, both colt and gi issue was they functioned flawless.

Boolit Master

My 1911 springs get alot of use, 18.5 recoil @ 1500-2k and fresh Wilson 47D magsprings every year. If your gaming only, you can let that slide alittle.

Boolit Master
    We always loaded 28 in our 30 round magazines because the followers sucked. Once magpul came out with the self leveling following, we had no issues loading with 30 rds.

Boolit Master

Good discussion. From a merallurgist standpoint I think there is no correct answer.
    Steel has what is called an elastic limit. That means that if metal is deflect below its elastic limit it will return to its original shape. Also metal has a fatigue limit. That is metal is cycled below its elastic limit it will break if cycled enough times. These vary with each alloy of metal,
    So the answer depends on the design of the magazine, or how close the spring metal is brought to its elastic limit and how many times it is cycled. There is no one answer fits all.
    One observation is that gun manufacturers are trying to make firearms smaller and still have large round capacities means designs are more critixal. The old 1911 mag will last forever but the 109 round 9mm may have problems.

Banned

never had a problem with mags and ive shot some that had been loaded at least 10 years. I guess if I was paranoid which im not a guy could swap out to new springs every 10 years or so. Springs are cheap.

That is good to know. I have a couple of pistols designated for home defense that have loaded magazines with them. I haven't changed them for a couple of months and was a little concerned.
    It seems I really don't need to worry about them.
    I have checked them for function a couple of times and they seem fine but I didn't want to run into a problem at an inopportune moment.

Banned
    I've got magazines I loaded 30 years ago that I took out and used with absolutely no problems. I tend to think that usage is more of a problem than having the mag loaded. Yes, I was also told not to leave magazines loaded by a gunsmith. I still keep them loaded at the ready.

I certainly won't have time to load them if I have need for them , so they need to be loaded.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast