MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataWidenersInline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRepackboxReloading Everything
Snyders Jerky RotoMetals2
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 15 minutes home improvement project-

Boolit Master
    I normally go to the local Lowes. I have learned to get everything that I might possibly need, if I'm not sure of the size of whatever I need, get both sizes, get extra this and that ( to a reasonable point), and when I'm done return what I didn't need, in unopened undamaged packaging of course.

I commuted to work at a power plant for several years with an electrical assistant superintendent. He advised ordering four of everything you needed: one for the warehouse people to lose, one for the craft people to tear up installing, one for the inspectors to tear up testing, and one for everyone to get it right.

Boolit Grand Master

On plumbing projects I first sit down and sketch up what I want to do. I then make a parts list of what Ill need to do the job, Then a list of the tools Ill need. Then I tke my materials list to the store and purchase what I need adding 1-2 fittings to each total. When done I don't return the few extras but store them in my pluming cabinet ( hay every now and then a couple fittings come in handy). By doing this it makes me aware of any problem areas, what will be needed and what it will take to get the job done

Boolit Master

Small and persistent leak in upstairs bathroom faucet. Saturday morning took crescent (monkey) wrench to tighten the packing gland "just a smidge". When that didn't work I unscrewed the gland and street pressure rained throughout the whole bathroom. Scramble ensued to close the hot water valve. 10 years of sitting in one place and that valve was STUCK. I had the Spousal Unit hold her hand towel over the faucet to stem the guiser while I laid on the floor to get under the cabinet to the shut off valve. Interesting perspective of the now soaked Spousal Unit, mad as hell, and not happy with me anymore about DIY. Shut off closed. Picked up faucet innards strewn about. Could NOT figure out how to put those pieces in place so took OTHER faucet handle apart. Both back together in two minutes. NO MORE LEAK. Was sent to the garage for mop and bucket then TOLD to CLEAN IT UP. I relished that mental image of the drenched Spousal Unit at that moment.
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Land Owner View Post
    Was sent to the garage for mop and bucket then TOLD to CLEAN IT UP. I relished that mental image of the drenched Spousal Unit at that moment.
    Too funny. That would make a great three stooges skit.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    Living out in the country 45 miles from Lowes or Home Depo, makes you think about what you pick up. SWOMBO’S uncle told me years ago.
    When you buy plastic fittings on plumbing projects, buy them by the bag, you’ll need them later. That was 20+ years ago. Now I have bins full for just about any thing that you and might need. Frozen pipes, leaks, etc. cleaner and glue another story buy small unless you got big job, because those big cans dry up pretty quick. I keep in old ref. To slow down evaporation. Most projects just have mostly what is needed.

Boolit Grand Master

Just one day? That's funny. I had a house on a lake out in the middle of nowhere which was nice and quiet. I was replacing a second story window with an insulated one since it was originally not a year round home and had the single pane windows not meant for a Vermont winter. After getting the old one out and reframing, I climbed the ladder with the window to seat it and just as I got to the top dropped it. About a 100 mile round trip for a new one.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123