Load DataReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
RepackboxLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication Wideners

Thread: Dan Wesson Cylinder alignment question

Boolit Buddy

Dan Wesson Cylinder alignment question

Did they ever change the alignment of the cylinder stop on Dan Wessons? I have a High Standard Sentinel MK-II .357 magnum and it's striking the primers off but in a really odd way. The cylinder seems to be advancing too far clockwise which isn't what I would have expected. I've already played with the grip screw on it but haven't gotten anywhere. I took it to a gun smith but haven't heard back and it's been quite some time. The guy has a good rep but seems way over worked or maybe it's just the season. Figured I'd see if someone here has any ideas.

Boolit Grand Master

Good afternoon
    Been shooting DW since 1978 but I have never encountered this. Without being able to see a photo of the cylinder stop in the frame slot all anyone can do is guess.
    There is a Dan Wesson site where maybe some one there can help.
    Mike in LLama Land
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Buddy
    Yeah, I need to get that gun back at some point. Here's a pic to illustrate what I'm saying.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190923_220014104.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	50.4 KB 
ID:	250796

Boolit Grand Master

If this is the revolver in question that looks good. I hae seeral revolvers of big name outfits and the primer strike is not perfet and the priers always go bang.
    But if the strike is out on the extreme edge of the primer then the stop could be worn permitting the cylinder to get pushed around to far: the groove that the stop operates in could be worn and the stop thus is a sloppy fit:
    or the cylinder notches were cut out of "time" so there is no help except to get a different cylinder.

If it is the stop it an be shimmed on the pivot it operates on.
    The slot in the frame an be peened to fill the space. Or a shim attached to the side of the stop.
    If the cylinder notches are out of time and it fires be sure the cartridges holes are lining up correctly. You might have a lead spitter.
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Buddy
    It didn't seem like a lead spitter to me. When I got it the forcing cone had been cracked at the top so I did have to get a carbide burr and take the barrel out. Probably should have mentioned that. Hoping I didn't end up with a wall hanger here.

Super Moderator Emeritus
    Use a range rod to check alignment one each chamber.
    Check sitting and cocked an trigger pulled that is the way to check if you have a problem. Brownells sells range rods.

Boolit Buddy
    Gunsmith said he's testing it so hopefully I'll have it back in a few days. Will see what he says it was. Am extremely curious because I wouldn't think it would rotate too far of all things.

Boolit Master
    The experience I have had with cylinders out of alignment shooting cast you wind up with a heavy lead coating on the front of the cylinder and on the frame around the barrel , and depending on how the forcing cone is cut spitting lead.

My DW model 44 primer strikes are a little off center too.
    I get no leading what so ever.

Boolit Buddy
    Yeah, I had no lead on this. I trued some factory ammo (a rare treat for me indeed) and wound up with the same results. I took the gun home and took the side plate off. It looks pretty well brand new inside which is shocking to me! I think it affirms that it was a PO or security guard's gun and shot very little although it has holster wear on the muzzle. That said, something I noticed is that the hand that rotates the cylinder seems to be slightly worn on the side that rests against the cylinder pawl. The pawl its self doesn't look to have the same outer finish as the rest of the gun, I am suspect of it having been replaced at a point. Does the pawl affect timing after it rotates the cylinder? Does it have any influence on lockup in a DW? If so I consider this pretty suspect.
    Last edited by drac0nic; 11-27-2019 at 01:05 AM.

Boolit Master
    Were you having misfires? It's not too uncommon to have firing pin strikes slightly off center.

Boolit Buddy
    Yeah, I'm having mis-fires. It's right at the edge of the primers in some cases. Single action seems pretty okay but double is extremely sketchy. I even tried some factory ammo although my K-frame shoots my reloads fine.