Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingLoad DataWideners
Snyders JerkyInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2 Repackbox
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Help choosing a lever action

Boolit Master
    If I could only own one it would be the 45-70 and it would be the Henry All Weather. But man it’s hard to look past the 35 Remington or even the new Henry 38-55. Come to think of it the 30-30 is a darn versatile caliber and gun. You load the 170 grain Nosler Partition in the 30-30 it is capable of taking game all the way up to and including moose. I have taken elk with that load cleanly.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by jgt View Post
    Czy Horse, Is your "1895" Marlington 444 stamped as a "Model 1895" on the barrel or does the roll marks say "Model 444" and 444 Caliber as they always did when they were known as the 444 marlin? I ask because the ones I have seen are still marked Model 444 and the only people calling them 1895s are Remington people who don't know the difference. What is even worse is they do not bother to educate themselves. They bought the company so can designate the model at any model number they want to, but if they are going to do that, you would think they would change the roll marks or quit calling them 1895s. They are after all, a derivative of the 336 action not the old original 1895 Marlin action.
    Well, it looks like a nice rifle from here anyway.

Boolit Master
    I have been examining a 357 Rossi 92 lately,a warranty return. It won't eject 357 brass,bulging it. 38 Special works,sort of.

When I took a look inside I noticed it was built from scrap metal parts by a blind one-handed man in a dark room using an angle grinder and a hammer.

When we want cheap,we get cheap.

Boolit Mold
    Well I was able to shoot a 45-70, and with a light load it still hurt my shoulders (torn rotator cuff and bursitis), so the 45-70 is out, My father inlaw has a Marlin 1894 in 44 mag, it wasn't bad. So now I'm looking at the Marlin 94 and the Taylor's Alaskan... either 45 colt or 44 mag.
    Last edited by MountainEMT; 11-12-2019 at 05:03 PM.

Thanks for the update. I've never tried one, but I'd like to have a 444 marlin. Kind of a middle ground between the 44 mag and the 45/70. Course I'd like a marlin 1894 too. I ain't hard to please long as it has a lever on it's belly.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Bazoo View Post
    ........... I've never tried one, but I'd like to have a 444 marlin. Kind of a middle ground between the 44 mag and the 45/70....
    some may not agree with that assessment of the 444.

The original 444 had a slow twist that limited it to rather light bullets. Is that still true?
    Cognitive Dissident

Quote Originally Posted by Beerd View Post
    some may not agree with that assessment of the 444.
    Heck I ain't sure I agree with it, but I sure would like one so I can assess it for myself.

The 44 magnum and the 45 Colt with hunting loads in a light weight carbine won't be very kind to your shoulder, either. I would go with the 30-30.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

44 mag. or 45 colt will do what you need it to do. When you were going to select a 45-70, I was hoping you were able to try a 300 grain lead bullet loaded down. You can do the same with a 45 colt loaded up a bit in the marlin. But a standard 250 grain lead 45 bullet going out of a rifle is a ***** cat to shoot giving 1150 FPS and will probably kill all you need except the bison cleanly.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by smkummer View Post
    44 mag. or 45 colt will do what you need it to do. When you were going to select a 45-70, I was hoping you were able to try a 300 grain lead bullet loaded down. You can do the same with a 45 colt loaded up a bit in the marlin. But a standard 250 grain lead 45 bullet going out of a rifle is a ***** cat to shoot giving 1150 FPS and will probably kill all you need except the bison cleanly.
    From the way its looking, I won't be hunting buffalo or any of the big game for some time, just the game here in Tennessee. So I think the 45 or 44 will be plenty.

Boolit Master
    I saw someone talk about lever-guns and 3" (3 MOA) groups at 100 yards. Maybe with open iron sights. Much better accuracy can be had with careful load development, a good scope, and bench technique required by the lever guns. I strive for 1" groups with 1.5" groups common at 100 yards.. Load development, a little tuning, technique and range time are all that is needed.

Boolit Master
    Ergonomics matter a lot,too.

IMO,A modern Marlin SBL has half the perceived recoil compared to an older Guide Gun. I can't shoot bows anymore,bad right shoulder. But I can shoot a Marlin SBL 45-70 325 grain @ 1900 fps all day. No pain.

SBL has less drop and a good pad,much easier on the shooter than a standard 1895. I've had a couple.

Quote Originally Posted by MountainEMT View Post
    From the way its looking, I won't be hunting buffalo or any of the big game for some time, just the game here in Tennessee. So I think the 45 or 44 will be plenty.
    Look for a Marlin Cowboy Ltd .45 Colt.
    It has a 24" octagonal barrel which hefts and balances well.
    Holds 13 rounds in the tube and is very accurate with 0.454" projectiles.
    "Outlaw firearms and only the outlaws will have them."

I’m assuming you DO roll your own. If not, disregard. My right shoulder is about shot and some days, I have trouble just lifting my arm. I have a 20” Rossi in 45Colt and without a pad between it and my shoulder, the metal but plate wreaks havoc, no matter what load I shoot. Otherwise, it’s my favorite for woods carry. 300 grain lee boolits over 19gr 2400 fill the magazine, as well as the cylinder on my RBH 7.5. In your case, I recommend the Marlin 1895g. I’ve found it to fill all of my needs. It’s short, light weight, has a rubber but pad, and can be loaded from mild to wild. 8 grains unique under a .459 roundball shoots to the same poa as 25 grains 2400 under a 405 grain pill in mine. Bottom line, like others here have written, 45-70 is a favorite of many. You can even shoot a 410 shot shell in a pinch.

Boolit Master
    If the 45/70 kicks to much, your best choices are .356 Win., .35 Rem., 30/30, end of story.

I recommend you read these articles including .45 Colt

http://www.leverguns.com/articles/
    "Outlaw firearms and only the outlaws will have them."

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by joe leadslinger View Post
    Guess I'm going to be the oddball, but how about a ? Savage 99
    Second oddball here, love mine!

Quote Originally Posted by RoyEllis View Post
    My choice? Marlin .444, lil less recoil than 45/70 and you can tailor loads for anything from mice to moose.
    My choice is what he said!
    A blessing is everyday I wake up,after all i've been through in this lifetime!

Oorah,Semper Fi.

Boolit Master
    Marlins are easy to clean from the breech. One screw and the bolt comes out.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast