Load DataWidenersReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
RepackboxTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Lee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: .58 Minie Bullet Lube Cutter

Boolit Mold

.58 Minie Bullet Lube Cutter

Lee Precision use to make a bullet lubricating and resizing kit where you "pan lub" the bullets and cut them from the pan with a "lub cutter". I am wondering if anyone makes a "lub cutter" for the .58 Minie bullet. Now before someone post how easy it would for me to build one let me relate the following. I built a tree house when I as 8. It fell out of the tree with me in it. Broke a leg. In high school wood shop built a bird house. Birds refused to nest in it. Got an F on that project. When I got my first dog, I built her a dog house. SPCA condemned it. Said it was unfit for canine habitation. You want more examples of my lack of skills at building things. I have got a list a mile long.

So, just point in the direction where I might get one!

Boolit Master
    No construction needed measure the fattest part on your boolit and I bet Home depot has a ID to match on a piece of pipe /problem solved/Ed

Boolit Master

Check fleabay, there is a guy offering the old style lube kits. A small pan to stand the bullets in and pour melted lube around. When lube hardens there is a lube cutter tube included.
    Maybe He has or can make one in your caliber.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Master
    I think I used a section of Copper tubing I got at Home Depot that is actually made for Splicing 1/2" copper tubing.
    The I.D. is the same as the O.D of 1/2" copper pipe.
    If I remember correctly , I had to hone out the inside diameter a bit with sandpaper wrapped around a dowel spun in a drill.
    I hope that points you in the right direction.
    You could probably use a 1/2" copper coupling honed out the save a buck or two.

Boolit Master
    For my rifle bullets I use a fired case. I drilled out the primer pocket to take a 1/4 dowel.

When I did pistol bullets I used a piece of pipe that I drilled out to proper size and used a grinder to put a 'cutting' edge on it (not too sharp or it shaves lead).

Just a matter of finding the right pipe size.

A tip. Make the pipe long enough to grip with your hand and a plunger (dowel) that you can then use with your thumb. Much easier on the hands that way.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by The Wizard View Post
    Lee Precision use to make a bullet lubricating and resizing kit where you "pan lub" the bullets and cut them from the pan with a "lub cutter". I am wondering if anyone makes a "lub cutter" for the .58 Minie bullet. Now before someone post how easy it would for me to build one let me relate the following. I built a tree house when I as 8. It fell out of the tree with me in it. Broke a leg. In high school wood shop built a bird house. Birds refused to nest in it. Got an F on that project. When I got my first dog, I built her a dog house. SPCA condemned it. Said it was unfit for canine habitation. You want more examples of my lack of skills at building things. I have got a list a mile long.

Please consider what we in the N-SSA do. We use 5/8 capplugs to hold the powder. After charging tube, invert bullet in mouth of tube. When all done use tube a handle to dip bullet into melted lube. Take a look at N-SSA.org

Boolit Master
    I bought brass thin wall tubing at Ace Hardware that just fit around the bullet and a Dollar store pie pan.
    QUIS CUSTODIET IPSOS CUSTODES?

Quote Originally Posted by The Wizard View Post

northeast trader makes one.and its simple to use.
    not sure it listed in is store best to contact John
    https://www.northeasttradeco.com/online-store
    14th VA. CAV.
    N_SSA

Super Moderator

Cookie cutter lube tubes

.................I used to make them. They were simple (if you had a lathe), which is like saying going 100 is easy if you have a car

There are a couple guys around (Lathesmith and/or Ammohead) among others who could gin up a few for ya.

...............Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckshot View Post
    .................I used to make them. They were simple (if you had a lathe), which is like saying going 100 is easy if you have a car

There are a couple guys around (Lathesmith and/or Ammohead) among others who could gin up a few for ya.

...............Buckshot
    You guys with machine shops in your garage kill me! Might be a tinge of jealousy there too.

On another site I saw a method that I have not tried yet but seems like a good idea.

Get a cheap plastic funnel and cut the lower tapered portion so that the ID matches the bullet. Then use some kind of tool to sharpen the edges of the opening on the outside. Use it to press over your pan lubed boolits. They should then stack up in the upper portion of the funnel.

Gonna try this but still have not been by the $1$ store where I hope to pick up cheap economical funnel. Doing it cheap is a big part of the fun for me!