Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingWidenersInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who likes serrated blades?

Boolit Master

Who likes serrated blades?

Who likes serrated blades either full or partial? If you do I am sure you have good reasons and if you dont I am sure you have good reasons.
    Just mainly interested if you carry a knife partial or fully serrated.

Boolit Master
    I prefer no serrations but I'd take a half serration knife over a full serration. I can't find my daily knife the one I grabbed out of the crate of knives I have is half serrated. I'll make it work it's a cheap Walmart $1, I bought a few to just have around a couple years back. I'm pretty abusive on my daily user knives so I don't use my good knives for daily use.

I don't really care much for them, but they're handy if you need to saw on something.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    I don't care for serrated knives, but if you're cutting stuff like heavy rope, they work real well

Boolit Buddy
    Agreed. They’re better than nothing, but not my first choice. If I ever needed to cut through wet rope, I might have more use for a serrated blade.

I don’t care them either.

Boolit Master

I don't like serrated knives for EDC but I do keep one in my truck
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Banned
    If you work around water (and therefore ropes) a serrated blade or half serrated blade marks sense.
    Other than that, I prefer a plain edge.

Boolit Master
    When packing horses a half serrated blade can be useful if a 'wreck' occurs, but a plain blade is what I normally carry.

Only thing serrated in my house are 2 bread knives. They are special purpose tools and they work so I leave them alone.

A good sharp blade with a slicing cut will cut most things a serrated blade will cut. And it is easy to keep sharp. YMMV

I have 4 knives on my person at this writing. A leatherman original, case trapper, buck 110, buck 345. None have serrations. I don't cut rope or strapping much. But cut food and wood often.

I carried a leatherman wave a long time and I really liked the serrated blade and found lots of uses for it. Cutting hose, rope, straps, plastic banding on pallets.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Serrated blades are good for cutting rope. I remember years ago, while working in marine construction, we used to sharpen our plane blades with a file so the rough edge would cut rope better. That was before serrated knives became popular. Now I prefer a high carbon steel blade that I sharpen on a couple of stones. Stainless takes me too much time to sharpen, unless using a diamond stone.

Plain edge for me. Good for rope, but just too time-consuming to sharpen a serrated edge.

Boolit Master
    I'm in the non serrated school, also. When I worked as a pipefitter, I carried a serrated blade for cutting rubber hoses. Agree, they are a PITA to sharpen.

Winelover

Boolit Master

Call me crazy, but I think meat sliced with a sharp non-serrated blade tastes better than that sliced with a serrated knife. Perhaps the smoother cut retains juices better?

Count me in as one of the few that prefers a half-serrated blade on my EDC knife. I like to know that I can saw through something like rope or hoses quickly when needed during the workday without stopping and going to get another knife/tool. Sharpening the serrations doesnt bother me too much. Just a little time on the couch with some round files and ceramic rods.

For sharpening serrated blades, I've used DMT cone sharpeners and it worked well.

Boolit Master
    Serrated knives are the worst. In the Home Or Out for Dinner. Ever Notice you can no longer Get a Good Pointed straight edge @ a restaurant. especially @ a Steak Place Or just Plain meat. When You ask for One The table person says they Don't have one. a few weeks ago I brought my own To a Place and was told not to bring One again . Against insurance Regs. Also My wife got mad
    NRA Endowment Member
    International Ammunition Association
    New York, the Empire State Where Empires were Won and Lost

Boolit Buddy
    I like a non-serrated lockback for my edc. If I need a serrated edge ill get a hand saw out of the truck. Straight edge is much faster and easier to sharpen.

Boolit Master
    I hate the things! My dive knife was half serrated, I know they cut rope better. I don’t cut much rope, when I do the sharp plain edge does fine. Most of what I do with a knife a normal grind is best, and way easier to touch up. I have been known to use my pocket knife on a steak more than once! Wifey has gotten used to it. I have never had an employee comment, yet. As the world falls deeper into insanity......
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast