Load DataWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
RotoMetals2RepackboxInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Who likes serrated blades?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by salpal48 View Post
    Serrated knives are the worst. In the Home Or Out for Dinner. Ever Notice you can no longer Get a Good Pointed straight edge @ a restaurant. especially @ a Steak Place Or just Plain meat. When You ask for One The table person says they Don't have one. a few weeks ago I brought my own To a Place and was told not to bring One again . Against insurance Regs. Also My wife got mad
    Lol...

Boolit Master
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hattori.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	30.6 KB 
ID:	254671I prefer the looks of a knife without serrated blades. However, there are some jobs where serrations are superior. My favorite design for serrations (fixed blade) are to have them on the spine of the knife, like this Junglee Hattori. On the spine, the serrations are there when you need them and out of the way when one is slicing or whittling.
    Last edited by bowfin; 01-11-2020 at 08:27 PM. Reason: Punctuation

Boolit Master
    I have been known to use my pocket knife on a steak more than once!
    This is from the A.G. Russell knife catalog, written by the late A.G. Russell, who not only sold knives, but designed knives and collaborated with some of the great knife makers:

If you know me or follow our catalogs, you probably already know how I feel about going to a fine restaurant (or even a steak house), ordering a steak and having to cut (rather tear) it with those horrible knives the restaurant provides. I always have several folding knives on me so find myself using one of those. While I clean my knives often, they are probably not as sanitary as they need to be for this purpose. For that reason, we offer knives like these with a carrying pouch which can be carried in your pocket or in a lady's purse. Send the ugly restaurant knife back to the kitchen and use this elegant steak knife that will CUT your steak instead of tearing it. The blades can easily be dipped into your water glass and wiped clean on a napkin then washed in warm soapy water when you get home. DO NOT put them in the dishwasher.
    https://agrussell.com/knife/Folding-...lo--NER-HK02CO

Boolit Buddy
    Serrated knives are the worst. In the Home Or Out for Dinner. Ever Notice you can no longer Get a Good Pointed straight edge @ a restaurant. especially @ a Steak Place Or just Plain meat. When You ask for One The table person says they Don't have one. a few weeks ago I brought my own To a Place and was told not to bring One again . Against insurance Regs. Also My wife got mad
    I use my EDC folding hunters ( uncle Henry, case) or sodbusters (case , eye brand) in public often. I think I would have left the establishment at the moment I was reprimanded by the server?? I guess I am less tolerant than most when it comes to stupid. That'd be my last visit there ......lost revenue for them.

1Papalote

Boolit Grand Master

My EDC is a partial serrated. It's all I will carry for daily use. After my 4th or 5th lost Spyderco I carry a Byrd, it's the same knife made in china with cheaper steel but holds a good edge and is easy to sharpen
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Banned

I don’t like serrated blades!

Boolit Grand Master

That's funny. On a couple of occasions I've gotten so frustrated with the restaurant's knives I pulled out my pocket knife to cut the steak. It's always sharper than what is handed to me. Wife just rolls her eyes.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

They are great for slicing bread.
    “It is not enough that we do our best; sometimes we must do what is required.”
    ― Winston S. Churchill

Boolit Master

Well working with ropes of some size now for a long time I have never liked a serrated blade , a good sharp blade 3 slices and a 2&1/2 inch rope is cut , as to steak knives I have used my sharp long stockman pocket knife in more then one restaurant or bar .

Heck I use it in a lot of prep work , wash sanitize and use , and its always where it needs to be in my pocket , only thing a serrated does is saw at something , if you are not dulling your blade on rock or steel , why would you need it .

Boolit Master
    As one person told me, "it is whatever a man likes". I bought a fully serrated Spyderco many, many years ago. Carried it some but soon realized it wasn't for me. I carry plainedge mostly and once in a while a 50/50.
    I bought the first at a knife store that is know nationwide. The clerk said they had sold many of the same knives to EMT workers, cops and firefighters because they would cut seat belts easily in an emergency.
    I still have mixed feelings about them

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by almar View Post
    They are great for slicing bread.
    Agreed, and for cutting sheet foam goods. I keep two for those tasks. Otherwise, serrated knives are evil. Standard straight blades only in my kitchen; I have old Case and Cattaragus kitchen knives, and a few newer Cold Steel chef's knives in two lengths. The bread knife is a serrated Case, and the foam knife is a Bed, Bath, and Beyond special.

Noah

Boolit Buddy
    My EDC is a half serrated Kershaw. I rarely use the serrated portion but it has come in handy in the past. It’s cut through a handful of pelvic bones on deer. I don’t think my smooth edge blades could do that. I like the option to be there if I need it.

no advantage to me at all- all mine non serrated -
    never pick a fight with an old man - if he is too old to fight he will just kill you -
    in this current crisis our government is not the solution , it is the problem ! -

ILLEGITIMI NON CARBORUNDUM

as they say in latin

Boolit Master
    On a bread knife, yes.
    "If everyone is thinking the same thing it means someone is not thinking"

"A rat became the unit of currency"

Boolit Buddy

Somewhere between the Red and the Rio Grande
    I personally don’t care for a serrated blade, as others have said, serrated is good for cutting bread and I have a brisket knife that is serrated that cut’s really well, other than that I have no use for them. As far as every day care give me a razor sharp carbon steel straight edge knife every time.
    Keep your powder dry and watch your six !!

IMO cutting bread is ALL they are good for.
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

Been carrying a pocket knife since I was 8yo. My grandfather gave me a double blade non-serrated Case knife. I think I still have it in the dresser jewelry case. It's the worse for wear now...so it was retired. I've carried Buck (Made in USA) almost exclusively since I was 18. Several Buck 503s, a 505 for awhile...but in the past 20 years, I switched to a heavy non-serrated folder with a pocket clip. I had one partial serrated in all that time...I can't say I ever used the serration of the blade. I primarily open packing boxes, cut twigs from a tree-stand, plenty of paracord for camping and setting up turkey blinds....etc....I've got nothing against serrated knives except for one thing....the time it takes to sharpen the serration. So...obviously, my preference is non-serrated.

redhawk

The only stupid question...is the unasked one.
    Not all who wander....are lost.
    "Common Sense" is like a flower. It doesn't grow in everyone's garden.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

I prefer a non-serated blade for most applications. Have no problem sharpening a knife. And also prefer carbon steel over stainless. Having said that,the best hunting knife I have ever used is a Cutco. Field dressed, skinned and cut up 4 deer and two antelope before I felt it needed to go back to Cutco for thier free sharpening service. Cutco kitchen knives will keep the wife happy with a sharp knife. Thier “double D” edge does protect the edge for cutting. Bottom line use what you like. Self sharpening stick to plan edge.

Boolit Buddy
    Never would have had one, but it was a flea market bargain. Turned out a half serrated blade is good for trimming multi-flora rose shoots. Although backing over the whole bush with a bushhog is more satisfying. County agent in the 1950's sold dad on the stuff. "A living fence, home for wildlife, erosion control, etc" A scourge.

Boolit Master
    We had a water pump die in our Koi pond. It had a nice long heavy duty power cord attached to it and my plain edged pocket knife sliced through it like butter. Now I have a nice spare cord. Keep your knives razor sharp and you don't need serrations.
    "If everyone is thinking the same thing it means someone is not thinking"

"A rat became the unit of currency"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12