MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Wideners
RepackboxSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingLee Precision
Load Data Inline Fabrication

Thread: Real Black in Denver or CO Springs?

Real Black in Denver or CO Springs?

Anyone happen to know of a shop that sells real black in Denver or Colorado Springs area? So far all I have seen for sale is subs at the local shops.
    When you care enough to send the very best, send an ounce of lead.

Boolit Master
    I might have some to spare. What grade and quantity are you looking for. Make my own, so don't shoot much store bought.

swamp
    There is no problem so great, that it cannot be solved by the proper application of high explosives.

I am not in need at present. More interested because I have never seen it for sale locally.

Boolit Buddy
    Bass Pro used to have it. I don't know if they still do but a call would clarify. Also, give a call to the mountain man shop in Manitou Springs.

Some of the local clubs do some group buys but I'm not sure which. I mail order mine.

The mountain man sounds really neat. Might be worth a trip even if they do not have powder.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
    The mountain man sounds really neat. Might be worth a trip even if they do not have powder.
    Yes. About 10 years ago it was pricey. Maybe call them.
    Chill Wills

It’s sad that it isn’t sold in gun stores anymore. Pyrodex and whatever work, but lack the Real Deal effect.

A lot of the gun stores don't want to pay for the explosive permitting to sell real black. Since many of most hunters use in lines, the attraction of real black has diminished.

Boolit Master
    Real black isn't that hard to make.
    You might at least try to make a batch using just the basic methods and see how you like doing it.
    You can do it with minimal investment and tools.
    If it fits your needs and space , you can always upgrade to things like a Ball Mill and maybe a hydraulic press.

Making some is on the list simply so I have the knowledge in case I have no alternative. Lots of more pressing projects at the moment.

Boolit Master

the blunderbuss in denver was the only place I ever found it and he left his casting pot on and burned his store down. cabelas used to sell it but they stopped carrying it 15 years ago. I usually pick it up from powder valley when we visit family in kansas.
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Boolit Master
    I did not leave my casting pot on. The store was burglarized and torched to cover it up!!! God I hate the rumor mill.
    QUIS CUSTODIET IPSOS CUSTODES?

Boolit Master
    Yep.
    The rumor Mill can play heck when it comes to settling your insurance claims.

Boolit Master
    All of you guys in the Denver area should get together and make a large order of Holy Black. That way you could split up the freight and hazmat charges among all of you. Just a suggestion tdoor4570

Banned

selling the holy black went from mom 'n' pop local stores of the 50s and 60s, to when they were regulated out of stocking it but was still carried by the larger outfitter stores, who eventually also got regulated to death ... and now that leaves perhaps 95% of us having to do the mail ordering of quality BP ... for as long that lasts until even that will eventually get regulation terminated. so yeah, it might be a good idea to learn to cook yer own BP, specially if you've got a flinter where BP is pan requirement over that smokeless crap.

Boolit Buddy
    There was a guy who had a shop in Granby that was some sort of old timey shooting shop and he sold BP. Probably long gone.

You might look into joining the Fort Lupton Muzzle Loaders club. A good way to check them out is to attend one of their monthly shoots. They run two shoots per month. Visiting shooters welcome. Nice range. 25, 50 and 100 yards. Round ball only due to safety considerations. Call ahead for any shoots so you don't make a trip for nothing.

Boolit Master

sorry
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Boolit Master

I am getting old. I remember buying BP, 40% to 90% dynamite, safety fuse and #8 fuse caps at the local hardware store. You did not need to buy a full case or not. Same as the caps whatever you needed.

Rifle cartridges in 30-30 , 32 specials, 33 Winchester by the each.

Times were better then.

Banned

yeah, long gone are the dayze when i took the bus to high school with my cased .22 rifle, to practice with the school rifle team.

with the increasing number of laws and regulations, it sure seems like the politicians are doing their best to protect the dumb and stupid at the expense of those with plain common sense.