Titan ReloadingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
RepackboxReloading EverythingLoad DataWideners
RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help spend a new guys money!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    I use a big, long, flat screw driver.
    You can scrap the sides & bottom pretty well as you stir. I goes a long way to help clean and flux better & faster.
    For my half propane tank processing pot with cylindrical sides and a curved bottom, I use a cake icing spatula. The springy, flexible blade makes scraping the sides and bottom easy. Mine is a straight blade, but the offset types I'd bet would be even better. The rounded tip actually helps with the curved bottom. The tip could be cut or ground flat for the bottom and inside bottom angles of a casting pot.

Available here, at BB&B, or at your local Good Will store.

https://www.amazon.com/Straight-Stai.../dp/B07CVQHBSS

With the Lee Pro 4-20 Like I have the Lyman dipper is a snug fit in the pot.
    For fluxing I took an old teaspoon. Drilled a few 1/8 inch holes in the bottom. Bent the spoon 90* to the handle. Bent the last 3/4 inch or so of the handle 90* opposite the spoon end. Kinda like a z.
    I then took an old broom handle , cut about 4 inches off the end. Cut a slot into one end to fit the spoon handle into. A small hose clamp around the broom handle holds spoon tight.
    This fits in the pot well for fluxing and skimming.
    If you can find one, an old butter knife works for scrapping the sides and bottom of pot before fluxing. The butter knife I mean has a long straight blade about 3/4 "wide about 4" long and round on the edge.
    Kinda like a cake frosting spatula but stiffer.
    I have had a turkey/fish fryer a long time. Picked up an old propane tank to cut off and use as a large pot on said fryer.
    I haven't used it yet. Need to get a big dipper.
    I have used my Lee pot for cleaning scrap lead before. This works but make small batches and make the pot dirty.
    This big pot I won't have to dirty up my little pot so much.
    Leo

Banned
    I have smelted literally tons of lead on a turkey fryer in a variety of pots and containers. Most will work. IF you use aluminum the bottom can fail if you get it too hot.
    I now use a Cut propane tank I traded for from a friend. for Fluxing I got a large wire whisk from a restaurant supply store.

Always make sure the lead is clean/well-fluxed before trying to cast with it. Unless I' mm 100% sure where the lead came from and what's in it I will smelt it before I use it.

You will find people adamant about what casting method is better. I started out dipper casting then moved to a lee 4-20 bottom pour. I have found no need to buy a more expensive pot.
    Many of the molds I use are still Lee, I do have a fair collection of RCBS, Ideal, Lyman, Saeco and some NOE. For handguns, it's hard to beat a Lee six cavity mold.

I feel a PID temperature controller for your casting pot is essential to enjoyable and accurate boolit casting. If you have any mechanical inclination they are not hard to make. Search PID on this forum and watch some videos on you-tube. IF you want it now, Hatch a vendor on CB builds and sells PID's.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12