Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
Wideners Repackbox

Thread: Need price check on 1958 model 94 Winchester.

Boolit Master

Need price check on 1958 model 94 Winchester.

Hey folks, need some help here. There is a model 94 Win, 30/30, made in 1958 coming up for auction here on Wednesday. It is about 95% mint. The blue is great, even on the corners, and sharp edges, original sights and wood. The wood is great, with a few safe impressions, got to look real hard to see them. Metal butt plate. What is it worth. I was thinking $600 max. Their is a 10% buyers premium, plus 6% sales tax. If I bid $525, it will end up costing me $610. All feedback appreciated.

Boolit Master
    not bad price. but I refuse to pay a buyers premium. a lot around here feel the same the people just don't come out when they see there is a buyer's premium.

FWIW, the buyer pays a premium at EVERY auction of guns, cars, etc.

It just the cost of doing that piece of business, and it's best handled like Koger is - figuring it into what they will like to pay for whatever.

The auction house isn't a charity - it's a business.

After all, it's the auction house that provides an excellent venue and a wide audience for the seller, and the opportunity for a buyer to obtain something they might not otherwise have access to buy.

Just bid to your personal limit - sometimes a bidder gets lucky and obtains the item well below par value.

Last edited by pietro; 11-03-2019 at 12:20 PM.
    Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Master

You got to know when to stop bidding. I have seen used guns go for higher prices than new many times. Then there's the auctioneer showing a Ruger 10-22 that has been polished and says it looks like it has been silver plated.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Big difference between ANIB collector-grade prices with original box, manual, hang tags, etc. in pristine condition and a really nice "shooter grade" which is not pristine, but shot only little, un-Bubba'ed and well taken care of.

At $600 any pre-1964 Winchester 94 in 85% or better condition with shiny bore would sell in a weekend in our local area.

At twice that price it would be repeatedly listed on GunBroker for a year or more before it finally sells.

Depends how badly you want it or how soon you want your money.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master
    better check we have some very large gun auctions around here and no buyer's premium. one will run 200 guns on sat. then another 200 on sunday. that is reddings auction near Gettysburg pa.

Boolit Grand Master

Easily worth $600 in the condition described around here. I see you’re doing your due diligence and pricing in the buyers premium. Whether the buyer or the seller pays it, it is there. Even on gunbroker and other sites.

Boolit Master
    Thanks for all the replies, I set myself a fixed price and that is as high as I will bid. I want this for my collection, to keep until I am too old to use it. I have several levers, mostly Marlins, older ones in great shape. I wanted a good tight 94, and decided to find a good pre 64, at a reasonable price. I am about 18 months into that quest, but have the patience to wait. It took me longer than that to find a good Remington pump in .35 Rem. and a 121 Rem pump .22, both in great shape and original, at $400 and $300 each. I also looked about 2 years for .35 Rem Marlin, finally found a 1957 with great original bluing, waffle top with a half mag, for $400 in a old pawn shop I came across.

Boolit Master

I have a 1947 Winchester 94 in the safe never thought anyone would pay that much for one.

Boolit Master

In New England even a post 64 in 95% will bring that.

Remember condition, condition, condition, condition, As a retired shop owner and internet auction seller I graded HARD my 95% is mostly the same as others supposed NIB. My online feedback was 100% no negatives on two sites with over 2K between them.

Auction houses IMHO overate the condition. One of them will say excellent bore with minor pitting. What is that???? It is a selling jibe for suckers. I buy on auctions but go 10-15% below their conditions. Sometimes it is not low enough.

If I want the gun I Preview it myself before the auction.

Unless there is something special about the gun, $600 would be a fair price.

Banned
    The price is whatever the market will bring like some of the fellas already said people get into the bidding and the price goes through the roof it gets down to how much do you want it?

Boolit Master
    I am going to preview it tomorrow, but I have already saw it once. I ran a shop for 15 years, and when I say 95%, it is closer to 98. I am also trading for a 1938 .32 special 94, tomorrow. It is as tight as wedge, but has no bluing, great bore. No pitting either. This would be a great gun to hunt with.