Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Load DataReloading EverythingRepackboxSnyders Jerky
Wideners Inline Fabrication

Thread: 40s&w and lee 401-175-tc question

40s&w and lee 401-175-tc question

So I just decided to start loading .40 and picked up a couple molds a lee 401-145-swc and the lee 401-175-tc. I loaded up the 145’s with 5.2 grains of Unique at 1.135”. I’m not worried about that one. But the 175’s I just used the Lyman cast bullet handbook load for another 175 tc. I decided on HS6 and the load data showed a max charge of 8.4gr and an oal of 1.10” I loaded them to 1.125” and 8.0gr. I get done loading 50 and decided to throw a bullet on the scale and it weighed 183 grains 😳. Now I’m starting to think I should be looking at 180 gr data that has a max charge of HS6 of 7.4 grains... I’m loading these for a Glock 22 with factory barrel and all the bullets are powder coated. Should I pull the 175’s? Anyone have any experience with HS6 in .40s&w?
    Thank you!

Boolit Master

HS6 is a top powder for the 40!

The load doses sound hot. Probably fine but best to work up to such a load.

Longshot and Power Pistol as well as #7 is what I use more of. All my cast are Powder coated. I also liked that 145g. But the 175 TC was a stinker for me. It just didn’t shoot well. The greasers 175 is much better. I shoot it thru a bunch of 40’s and a few tens.

CE
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Moderator Emeritus

It's always best to use the starting load, and work up...especially with a new mold and a new gun.

What I'd do, is to set those 50 aside, and start over, loading from the starting load and work up. If you have no over pressure signs as you work up to that 8.0gr load, then you will be fine.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Banned
    I had good luck with 5.2 grns Unique with the lee 175 (middle of the road charge)

JonB is right (as he usually is )

Always start with the lowest charge and work your way up looking for signs of overpressure especially when you're not using the IDENTICAL boolit that's in the load manual.

Are you looking for the loudest or biggest bang OR the most accurate load .

Thanks! I usually would start lower. In fact if a starting works I usually will stop right there. I was going for a major PF load and went for something I wouldn’t normally go for.

Boolit Buddy
    I load the Lee 401 175 TC bullet in my .40, bullet drops at 183 grains for me. I load from 4.5 to 5.2 grains of Unique with this bullet.

My notes for that boolit say:

"use Lee sizer die on fresh cast bullets
    double coat with powder coat to reach >.402
    then load over 5.1 gn unique using .66 cc cavity
    COAL 1.110 with light crimp"

it worked but I have decided I don't enjoy shooting 40 s&w so I'm going to sell off my related tooling.

I had some leading/accuracy issues with cast boolits in my Glock. So, if I knew that the rounds I was shooting were going to be particularly hot I would not shoot them out of a stock Glock barrel... But maybe a KKM barrel?
    WWG1WGA

Boolit Master
    Unlikely you're in the danger zone. Still, discretion is the better part of valor and Jon B's suggestion is spot on.
    -BE

Boolit Grand Master

The lee 401-175 TC is my Go To boolit for the 40 S&W. I use ahead of 5.3 grs. AA #5 and it is accurate in all 4 of my 40's.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by stubshaft View Post
    The lee 401-175 TC is my Go To boolit for the 40 S&W. I use ahead of 5.3 grs. AA #5 and it is accurate in all 4 of my 40's.
    I also use, and really like, AA#5 for my 40 ...specifically with heavy boolits. I also load a 160gr RN, but with a different powder (I think Unique? but I'd have to check my notes).
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Buddy
    Definitely load low and work up when trying something new. Eventually you'll get a feel for what your gun likes.

Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    It's always best to use the starting load, and work up...especially with a new mold and a new gun.

What I'd do, is to set those 50 aside, and start over, loading from the starting load and work up. If you have no over pressure signs as you work up to that 8.0gr load, then you will be fine.
    This^^^^^^^^^^^

Well the 145-swc was a success. But the 175-tc was a different story... I loaded them over 5.2 grains of unique, and the accuracy was terrible. Looks like I might go for some accurate #5 and play around with that.