Load DataWidenersRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Titan Reloading Inline Fabrication

Thread: Reminton model 14

Boolit Buddy

Reminton model 14

Need to know about the half moon shaped piece that keeps the takedown screw from falling out of the receiver. How is it installed? At one time several years ago I had it figured out (I think) but I disremember.

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    I think it's just a snap ring . I never took mine down far enough to make that needed .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Buddy
    Not a snap ring; half moon shaped piece that resembles a tiny woodruff key...

Boolit Master
    I believe it is staked in, but I will do my best to try and remember to check one when I ger home!
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Buddy
    Not staked in either. Have the part in a plastic bag on my bench from last winter. With cold weather fast approaching, want to get this rifle off the 'project' list and the takedown screw retention is the only thing left to accomplish. Thought I had it figured out (how to) last year, but time constraints prevented me from finishing. Just don't want to have to reinvent the wheel this year...

Boolit Master
    I never figured out why Remington thought that particular screw should be fixed so it wouldn't come all the way out. Seems like it is nicer to work on the rifle if that screw is out of the way. But no, I haven't taken that screw clear out so don't have any good advice about reinstalling it to work in the way Remington intended.

Moderator Emeritus

Here is a page -- "schematic" -- of the Model 14, which I hope may be of help to you. I have one missing a part I long gave up seeking: the follower at end of magazine spring. I'm not certain vis the part you query about, but later today will hopefully dig mine out of back of safe and take a gander for you. If successful, I'll edit this post and PM you.
    BEST!
    geo
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rem Mdl 14 Schematic.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	80.2 KB 
ID:	250778

Boolit Master
    After examining mine , I think there is a TINY pin installed on the edge of the " Screw Retaining Bushing ", that does not allow the threads to pass through the bushing. The takedown screw has a flat milled along the side, and allows it to slide back and forth , but the tiny pin stops the threads from coming out of the bushing. I have never removed the screw and bushing, and think it was pressed in, and won't come out easily without damaging the threads.

That Pederson? guy who designed these rifles sure made them complicated, with lots of intricate machine work.

Boolit Mold
    Good day: There was a thread over on rimfire central about this very thing.
    You have to tap the eschueon on the left side out a little bit, insert the screw, the half moon piece into its very tiny slot and tap the escheuon back down flush with the receiver.

Z