WidenersRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyPBcastcoTitan Reloading
Load Data Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where would we be without a Star Sizer?

Where would we be without a Star Sizer?

I cast about 2500 H&G #51's over the last week in the evenings.
    Lots of lead was changed from ingot form to bullet form.
    I just sized and lubed 1000 of those in about 2 hours, taking my time and used 2 1/2 sticks of Magma Red. The 51's have a lube groove the size of the Panama Canal.
    Another 1500 to go.
    I will load 38 specials w/ 4.0 gr WW231 for about a year's supply of 38's.
    I cannot fathom doing this any other way.
    Next up H&G #503's.
    How on earth can people size and lube without a Star?
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

I'm with you 100% on that. I own ten of them, but three are "lifetime loaned" to two very, very good friends. The seven I kept are all set up for different things that they do very well. My Lyman and RCBS machines haven't been used in years, and I used one of my Saeco machines about two years ago to size and lube some black powder bullets for a friend with SPG. Everything else goes through the Star machines.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

Boolit Buddy

I wouldn't be sizing with any other sizer.. Have 7 of the STAR SIZERS, 6 set are up for different calibers and the 7th is always ready for those "just in-case" needs.. Fred & FISG4BUGS, I don't think you can ever have to may STAR SIZERS..
    Viet Nam 11/66 to 3/68

Boolit Grand Master
    Most people do not shoot enough to justify the expense of a Star. If someone is not pressure lubing, the Star is not needed. Even though I have a Star, one of my goals is to use BLL on as cast bullets for the bulk of my .38 Spl plinking bullets.
    Don Verna

Banned

My Saeco/Redding works fine! So does the Lyman 45 and 450. The RCBS lubimatic II I thought I was upgrading to is a ***! I have been looking for a vintage Star though if that counts.

Quote Originally Posted by starreloader View Post
    I wouldn't be sizing with any other sizer.. Have 7 of the STAR SIZERS, 6 set are up for different calibers and the 7th is always ready for those "just in-case" needs.. Fred & FISG4BUGS, I don't think you can ever have to may STAR SIZERS..
    I do it a bit differently - I have ONE Star sizer but each sizer die is set for a particular bullet. They are stamped on the top what bullet they are for. For instance, LatheSmith made me a sizer die and stamped it 51gc.
    I can heat up the Star, install or swap out the die, adjust the punch down to the last bullet left in the die and POOF! Instant adjustment.
    I'd like the idea of one Star setup for each bullet I shoot, but this works fine for me.
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    Most people do not shoot enough to justify the expense of a Star.
    I cast for and shoot pistol caliber subguns. ONE range session alone justifies the Star!
    Last edited by FISH4BUGS; 11-03-2019 at 07:40 AM.

Moderator Emeritus

As a Star owner/user, FISHBUGS, my casting process ends (lub & size) same as yours, but this is pretty much for the four bullets I shoot regularly the most! However, and it is a BIG however to me, I had found the arduous (to me!) task of switching new bullet setups to have best been met by using a Lyman 450. As a matter of fact, I have four of these, and *I* find it ever so much quicker and easier to set one of these up for, say, a small run of bullets which I may very well not cast again for a very long time, if ever.
    "Yes", again, I agree with your contention, but am most friendly adding that -- to me (maybe I'm just a klutz?) -- it's less work and quicker to also have secondary lub/sizers, like the 450s I have -- for small runs of bullets not in the mainstay.
    Just my two pennies...
    geo

ADMIN

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    Most people do not shoot enough to justify the expense of a Star. .
    TIME.
    Time is the changer.
    I have a Master Caster because at the time of purchase I was casting for my dad as well as one of my brothers and my needs.
    I automated it because of TIME. Didn't have much time so I needed to make the most of it.
    I have a star sizer because of what I mentioned above.
    Its automated (well semi, I still need to load tubes).
    Just like the Dillion 650 I own, they retain their value, well 80% if kept in good shape.
    The automated MC increase in value because it is automated.

My dad is 79 this year and I am pretty sure he hasn't shot any of the ammo I loaded for him this year or even the last year.
    I work 12 hr days M-F during the school year so I don't have time to shoot.
    Pretty much right now I have been loading boolits I cast up in 2015 and those are just because my brother goes shooting a couple times a month and has been burning thru the 40 and now 45 acp.
    I am down to 2K loaded 40 cal, no cast boolits left.
    I just did a run of 1500 loaded 45 acp. I have a coffee can full of cast 230s but they aren't sized.
    So my goal this winter break is to start the "factory" back up and get some boolits cast and sized up.
    The Automated Star Sizer is the life saver even if I am now coating them with Hitek.

And BTW moving sucks. I moved in Oct 2015, that was the last time I cast anything with my MC or sized anything with the star.
    Time to change that.

H&G #51's are done!

There is something to be said having completed the first step of the winter casting and reloading projects. The 2500 H&G 51's are done (cast sized and lubed) and in coffee cans. Next up is to reload them all in 38 Special w/ 4.0 gr WW231. That should hold me for a while. Just picked up another 8 lb jug of WW231.....don't want to run out you know.
    However, I recently purchased a S&W 67 made in the 1st year and man does that shoot! Also to shoot are the S&W 36's - 2" round butt and 3" square butt.....the S&W 28 gets almost exclusively 357's - from light loads (5 gr WW231) to full house 357's (51gc w/ 14.4 WW296) and you can burn up a fair amount of ammo with any of those when you go to the range.
    Next up.....that flat new 8 cavity H&G #503 - I am going to deflower it. Then comes sizing and lubing, then loading into 1500+ 44 specials.
    ...and Hatch - you are right. TIME is the most valuable asset we have. My son and I murdered our TV 25 years ago. I don't have a TV and the time I WOULD have spent as a vegetable in front of it is spent casting and reloading.
    As an aside, it appears that the converted horse stall will work out just fine as the new and improved man cave now that it is buttoned up, insulated and done.
    I am getting some 800-900 sized and lubed H&G #51 bullets per Magma stick. I get 5 then have to add the pressure again....5.....turn the pressure lever.....5.....turn the pressure lever....get into the zone.....
    Thank goodness for the tip to coat the outside of the plunger seal with white grease before putting in back in the Star - it makes removing it to replace a lube stick so much easier.
    I am still astounded at this piece of equipment - it is basically unchanged since it was designed.
    I have to say this is one enjoyable hobby. My alone meditation time......
    So much for the random thoughts for the day!
    Last edited by FISH4BUGS; 11-04-2019 at 10:38 AM.

Lubing the Hycar washer was one of the first things I learned. In my case, I use STOS, since I had a jar on hand that I'd had forever. That makes the plunger easy to get out when changing or adding lube. My favorite Star/Magma is my "commercial" machine, which has the tall lube reservoir that holds three sticks of lube. With that one, I only add pressure to the lube spring about every 15 bullets or so, depending on the size of the lube groove.

Hope this helps.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

Quote Originally Posted by ReloaderFred View Post
    Lubing the Hycar washer was one of the first things I learned. In my case, I use STOS, since I had a jar on hand that I'd had forever. That makes the plunger easy to get out when changing or adding lube. My favorite Star/Magma is my "commercial" machine, which has the tall lube reservoir that holds three sticks of lube. With that one, I only add pressure to the lube spring about every 15 bullets or so, depending on the size of the lube groove.
    Hope this helps.
    Fred
    Hey....I'll bite....what is STOS? The lithium grease seems to help but I still have to yank the plunger pretty good to get it out. I am still learning after some 40 years of reloading and casting!

STOS is made by Ponsness-Warren (or at least distributed by them). My first jar lasted me 30 or 40 years, since I don't remember when I bought it, and it's always been with me. I started loading in 1963, so sometimes I don't remember when, or where, I picked up stuff.

Here's one link, but it's available from others as well: https://www.reloaders.com/products/stos-2oz-jar

Hope this helps.

Fred

Quote Originally Posted by ReloaderFred View Post
    STOS is made by Ponsness-Warren (or at least distributed by them). My first jar lasted me 30 or 40 years, since I don't remember when I bought it, and it's always been with me. I started loading in 1963, so sometimes I don't remember when, or where, I picked up stuff.

Here's one link, but it's available from others as well: https://www.reloaders.com/products/stos-2oz-jar
    Hope this helps.
    Fred
    Fred:
    Many thanks for the info. I will look for something locally. I just can't pay as much for shipping as the item itself!
    I'll do some research, for it seems that many think this stuff is just repackaged lithium grease anyway!
    Anyone care to weigh in with what you use?

I like it because a little bit goes a long way, and it's clear in color. I just opened my second jar of it, and like I mentioned, the first one lasted me a long, long time.

Hope this helps.

Fred

Banned
    HATCH is absolutely right - Time Is Valuable.

I enjoy casting & reloading.....BUT it is also an evolution that has a purpose. Sort of the same way that cutting grass has a purpose. I enjoy doing it but it also needs to get done.

While the standard lubersizers are functional and not terribly expensive, they are slow. I'm on the verge of obtaining a Star for the sole benefit of efficiency. I haven't quite made the leap yet because work keeps interfering with my shooting

Boolit Master
    Started with the RCBS LAM then purchased a Star. I don't think the Star is that much faster, unless fully automated. The Star was obtained for nose first sizing of Spitzer bullets. I do think the Star will size more concentrically, than an in and out type sizer. I still use the RCBS for pistol bullets.

Winelover

Quote Originally Posted by winelover View Post
    Started with the RCBS LAM then purchased a Star. I don't think the Star is that much faster, unless fully automated.
    Winelover
    I am confused.
    How can a "two stroke" (down and up for one sized/lubed bullet) be nearly as fast as a Star with one stroke (down for one sized/lubed bullet). Logic says the Star would be twice as fast.
    I'll admit to having used the Star for many years but I started with a Lyman back in the day....so long ago that I forgot the production rate of the Lyman.
    Not trying to argue - just trying to understand.

Boolit Master
    The Star still has to have the handle moved "down then up" to complete a sizing operation, but you don't have the "remove the sized bullet" operation to complete before putting the next bullet in place to be sized. So it's not twice as fast, but can definitely be faster.

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
    - Henry S. Haskins in “Meditations in Wall Street”

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rapidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end." ...Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by obssd1958 View Post
    The Star still has to have the handle moved "down then up" to complete a sizing operation, but you don't have the "remove the sized bullet" operation to complete before putting the next bullet in place to be sized. So it's not twice as fast, but can definitely be faster.
    Makes sense. Thanks for clarifying.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast