MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingRepackbox
Lee PrecisionWidenersADvertise hereInline Fabrication

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Where would we be without a Star Sizer?

I've got three of my Star machines set up with the bullet feeders and use tubes that hold from 50 to 60 bullets, depending on the length of the bullet. I can go through a tube of bullets in about two minutes or less, if I really get on it and want to see how fast I can size and lube. I just normally set a pace and go with that, though.

Of course, there is the time it takes to fill tubes, but I've made a little rectangular box with V-grooves in the bottom for filling the tubes. Put a handful of bullets in the box, shake it a little, orient the few that fall into the grooves backwards, then place a tube in the hole in one end and tip the box and tube so the bullets run into the tube. Repeat as necessary, and I do it while watching the news, or some silly TV show...

Hope this helps.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    I love Stars. I have 7 Lymans and 5 Stars. I still like the Lymans, because I do make a number of pointy rifle/pistol bullets that fit my Lyman top punches well.
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Boolit Man
    I have used a star sizer since I was a kid. Love it to death for pistol bullets. you can literally run out of bullets you just cast in no time.
    that just starts the whole process over again.
    Kelly W
    Lifetime Reloader
    Veteran- US Army Aviation
    Former New Mexico State Police
    NRA-Endowment Member
    Helicopter Pilot
    Rifle Pistol Instructor

Just finished another run of casting/sizing/reloading. 357 magnum this time.
    With this Wuhan virus flying around, and basically all my projects on hold, I have been spending a lot of time in the casting/reloading stall. (also stacking 6 cords of wood for next season). Yard work is next when the wood is done.
    I did a run of about 1500 H&G #51's, gas check version, this time. Sizing them on the Star with a gas check is certainly slower but goodness does that make a pretty bullet. I used Gator's Gas Checks and they made such a nice little pop when you put them on the shank with a perfect fit. Once sized, lubed and swaged, they surely would win beauty contests.
    Again, after a long run sizing/lubing/checking, I still marvel at the Star and how efficient a piece of equipment it is. While I have only done about 2 hour stints here and there over a week or two, I can imagine what a dedicated operator could do in an 8 or 10 hour day!
    Thanks to the one that invented the Star Sizer.
    Anyone know who that was?
    Collector and shooter of guns with selector switches and threaded barrels. Collector of suppressors, SBR's, AOW's and SBS's. Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Boolit Buddy

I'm with you FISH4BUGS, I spent the day yesterday of an on using a RCBS for .30 cal rifle gas checked bullets and the star for some .45 bullets. I had a
    plastic ice cream bucket nearly full of the .45's and zipped through those in no time at all. It took longer to put less than a hundred of the .30 cals
    through the traditional sizer.

Boolit Master
    I started with a 4500. It wasn't fireproof and I wasn't fond enough to get another. The Star does it better, faster.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Boolit Grand Master

Where would we be without a Star Sizer?

If I want to lube a lot of bullets at once I will use the Star. Have punches w/ locknuts setup for certain bullets. But if Iím only lubing a few bullets I will use a LAM1. Quicker to setup and start turning out bullets. I also tend to use different lubes for different applications, donít know why I ever started that nonsense. But I have multiple LAMs that all have different lubes in them. The Star has CR in it and I donít use that for a lot of bullets.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12