WidenersLee PrecisionRepackboxLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
RotoMetals2 Snyders Jerky

Thread: Winchester M1917 Sight Question

Boolit Bub

Winchester M1917 Sight Question

I put this post on the wrong board. Starting this thread on the military rifle board.

Finally found and picked up a Winchester M1917. Its in great shape and shoots wonderfully. Almost scary accurate given its age. So here is some background on the sight questions. I understand how to use the ladder sight/battle sight and I don't believe that is the issue here. But, in order for it to hit Point of Aim at either 50 or 100 yards I have to set the rear ladder sight on the 400 yard setting. With the rear ladder sight set at 200 it will print 8-10 inches low at 50! That's definitely not right and of course it would be almost twice that at 100. I know there are multiple different front sight blades but in this case, the lowest one wouldn't get close. I have also read that the P14 front sight base has a different height but don't know if its taller or shorter. The P14 front sight base also has a slightly larger ring to go around the barrel but my reading says they have been found on M1917s. OK ... here comes the questions:

1) Am I missing something? I don't believe the rear sight is the issue.
    2) Is it possible that I have a P14 front sight base and it is taller than the M1917?
    3) With the proper sight/sight blade how should the M1917 print at 200 yards? Is it POA/POI or should it be X inches high?

A little more info on the rifle. Its a Winchester built in Aug 1918. Barrel appears to be original and markings point to that. Bore is awesome with sharp rifling and pretty bright. With the sight set at 400 I was able to shoot a 5 round 1 1/2 group at 100 yards with my load using a 168 Gr Hornady Match bullet and IMR 4895. Except for 4 parts, everything is Winchester. Yes, the front sight base and blade are also marked W.

Any suggestions??
    Last edited by mew; 10-30-2019 at 03:22 PM. Reason: Put this post on the wrong board.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    See my post to you in the other thread you started. No need to post the question in two places.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.