Inline FabricationLoad DataRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
WidenersRepackboxLee PrecisionReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters Supply Snyders Jerky

Thread: How fast?

How fast?

I am wanting to see if anyone has used plain base powdercoated bullets in the 454 Casull? I am wanting to use the Accurate 45-290K and was wondering if anyone had used this or a similar design/ weight boolit in the 454 and how hard you were able to push them and remain accurate. Also has anyone used the lighter bullets powdercoated at some of the ultra velocities like the 240 xtp mag is capable of?

Boolit Master
    I posted in the other thread you replied in.

Just the other day, I loaded a few test loads with 45 200 swc PC boolits, plain base, into 460 mag brass and up to 33.0 grains of 5744. Like you, I was wondering how fast I could push the light boolits. Plain base gas checks didn't seat properly on the short boolits, so they will get tested naked. PB GCs work much better on the tall 45 270 SAA boolits. I haven't tested those loads yet.

The 270 boolits work well, but have to cast them by hand, where the 200 swc's come from an automated boolit casting machine that I built, so it is much less work, plus if they are run naked then they can go through my automated sizing machine.

My goal is to come up with pleasant but accurate loads to shoot at 50-200 yards. Of course different people strive for different levels of accuracy/consistency. Minute of barnyard animal will make me happy. So far this revolver seems promising based on just playing around with plinking loads rather than proper ladder loads and test groups, but it isn't consistent enough to shoot a match with it. Right now, it isn't apparent if just my sights are inadequate or if the loads have great room for improvement as well........hence those test loads waiting to go to the range.

Banned

ive pushed 30 cal bullets to 2100 fps in the blackout with absolutely no leading. Biggest deal breaker is going to be alloy. I have to use an alloy that runs around 20bhn to get accuracy at those speeds. Fouling isn't a problem and you could probably push pure lead bullets to 2000 fps without leading if pc'd. but bullets deforming in your barrel do to high pressures is because they will never deform exactly the same every time. Im not a 454 expert. Ive owned 3 of them but just never got into them like the linebaughs but when I loaded for the 454 I realized it was a higher pressure round then even the 475 and I didn't even bother with bullets softer then 18bhn and if I was loading full power a gas checked bullet was about mandatory to get the best possible accuracy.

Looking forward to your results with the 270 saa please share. Judging from y’all looks like I may have to run a gas check for the lighter ultra fast loads.

145gr PB to 2100 in BO, 2700 165gr GC in 308W. Both hard alloy, 4% Sb with Cu, heat treated. MOA for both.
    Whatever!

Boolit Buddy
    I’ve pushed 95 grain 9mm bullets over 1600 FPS with no coating failure or bore fouling.

Boolit Master
    I have fired a number of full power 22-250 plain base PC bullets at 3500+ fps with no leading as well as full power 7x57, 30-06, 7.72x39, .556. A properly coated PC bullet will withstand the torque spinup of 50K chamber pressure, so as far as I am concerned the polymer jacket has no limitation that I am aware of.