MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingRepackboxReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Wideners Load Data

Thread: CB and CoW, what are your '06 and 308 loads?

Boolit Master

CB and CoW, what are your '06 and 308 loads?

Looking at 311291 and the Lee version for cream of wheat filled.
    Thanks

Boolit Grand Master

No COW filler for me in those bottle neck cartridges
    Charter Member #148

I'm all ears fellas. Please chime in all about it.

Boolit Buddy
    I use the NOE version of the Saeco #315 in my 308 for faster loads. In my European o/s throat and bore I size .312 and seat into the lands. 34 gr Norma 202 gets me 2040 fps, 35-Varget gets 2050, and 44-H4350 gets 2270.
    For lighter loads I use the plain based Ranch Dog NOE SC311-165 I got for my Grandson to practice with in his Marlin 336Y. 10 grains of Universal goes 1440, and 28.5-H4895 with a bit of dacron does 1740. Both loads were powder coated

Well I don’t use cow for my loads, corn meal is my go to for straight wall. kapok for bottle neck, but stoped using it as I saw to much variation with it. I use 15.5 blue dot, gives 1800fps with a gas checked at 180rn. works well in 308, 30-40 and, 303british works well for me

Boolit Master
    Savage Model 12 in .308. I am shooting the Lee 180gn sized to .309. Hardball alloy. Ben's Red lube.

Best load so far is 24.0gn of IMR4198. Here is a group I shot this morning. The 177.8 was the first shot of the day. The next ones were just below that. Vel is around 1900fps from my 26" barrel. Yes, 177.7 means that all the bullets in that group weighed 177.7gn (sized with the gas check, but, no lube).

A good plinking load for me has been 8gn of Blue Dot. Usually good for about 1.5" or less at 100yd. Recoils about like a .22 rimfire and probably less noise.

I have also tried bullets from the RCBS 165SIL mold and they do well also.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20191101_114001.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	39.2 KB 
ID:	250584

Sorry the pic turned sideways on me.

And, no, I do not use filler. I have tried it a few times and it seems to open up groups for me.

Boolit Master
    Thanks, only looking for cream of wheat filled loads for bore cleaning...

Boolit Grand Master

Be advised that the use of COW will substantially raise pressures, especially in bottle necked cases.

Bore cleaning?
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Luber View Post
    Thanks, only looking for cream of wheat filled loads for bore cleaning...
    Your rifle so your call. My .02 worth is lube prevents leading which I doubt COW would scrape out anyway and a brush and solvent cleans. Makes more sense to me that one loads for accuracy & desired range/power. Alloy and lube is how I would start with addressing barrel cleanliness if I was having a problem with a desired load.

Still if one wants cream of wheat loads that is what I hope you get. Not my thing so got no loads to offer.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Master
    Why would you waste powder and bullets to clean a bore?

Clean it and then go shoot.

Banned
    If you're at the range, just pull a snake through it.

Quote Originally Posted by Conditor22 View Post
    If you're at the range, just pull a snake through it.
    The snakes are too hard to find in the cold this time of year . And I don't think they like it very much anyways pullem by the tail not the head
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Boolit Master
    I had a plasma plated bore due to an error....it cleaned up with kroil but you could really feel it as the brush approached the muzzle end. The sticky here talked about CoW to fill volume and clean. BP shooters ( a national champion pistol competitor) talked of the fillers virtues

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin Luber View Post
    I had a plasma plated bore due to an error....it cleaned up with kroil but you could really feel it as the brush approached the muzzle end. The sticky here talked about CoW to fill volume and clean. BP shooters ( a national champion pistol competitor) talked of the fillers virtues
    BP needs to be compressed to prevent damage to the gun so with reduced charges you use a filler it may also have some impact on on BP fowling I don't know , but it is not going to do a lot for removing leading.
    Smokeless is a different critter. Leading at the muzzle is usually a quantity or type of lube in my limited experience.

Boolit Master
    I use the 311291 sized .310 with Xlox 2500 and a gas check inj both 30/06 and 30/40 AI, loaded to @1600 fps and have good accuracy and no leading. Powder is 13. grains of Red Dot in the 06 and 14 grains of Blue Dot in the 30/40. I do not use a filler with either load. My alloy is a bit harder than COWW, about 6% Sb and 2% Sn but suspect COWW would work fine at those velocities.

Boolit Master
    Please do not use loading techniques for black powder when loading smokeless cartridges. Apples and oranges.

Remove leading by cleaning and then find out why it is happening. Too little lube, too soft an alloy, too high velocity, poor fit of bullet, etc. Then fix the issue.

Boolit Master
    There is a stickey on cleaning that talked about this but litte detail, that's why I was asking. Thanks