Load DataWidenersTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRepackboxInline Fabrication
Lee Precision RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cooking on cast iron

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by DCP View Post
    A woman who did want to go out on an ICE and SNOW covered deck
    I've shoveled show to get to the grill many, many times.

And BTW, PAM is nothing more than oil in an aerosol can.

Boolit Master

The LAST State to allow Conceal Carry -The new 5O
    Quote Originally Posted by Petrol & Powder View Post
    I've shoveled show to get to the grill many, many times.

And BTW, PAM is nothing more than oil in an aerosol can.
    We both have fallen on Ice and (show)Our neighbor 72 fell on his gravel driveway on Ice and snow after he went to the hospital his brain swelled and he died.

We don't do Ice and snow any longer.
    LOYALTY ABOVE ALL ELSE, EXCEPT HONOR

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading." -- Thomas Jefferson

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."
    Theodore Roosevelt

NRA
    BENEFACTOR LIFE MEMBER

Boolit Grand Master

We love our cast iron. We cook fish in ours but not tomato based foods.

Boolit Master
    I’ve cooked tomato based foods in my cast iron for the last 14 years. No pinholes and nobody has died. I got the cast iron from my mother, who got it from her mother. Grandma was a straight off the boat Italian and cooked a lot of tomato based foods in the cast iron. I’d say that the oldest pan I got is near 70 years old.

Moderator Emeritus

I cook tomato based dishes in one dutch oven and am sure to clean it and reseason after. To clean boil an inch or more water for twenty minutes with the lid on and let it cool.
    If food tastes like the last thing cooked it means you used enough garlic.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Buddy
    One of the best cleaning suggestions I've seen for unseasoned cast iron that food still sticks to. Scrape heavy stuff off, make a paste out of backing soda and water, scrub pan with paste and a scrub sponge, scrub side, rinse, heat to dry, oil. Done.
    "People in Arizona carry guns," said Detective David Ramer, a Chandler police spokesman. You better be careful about who you are picking on...

Boolit Master

Was Mid-Michigan, 2 Orlando, 2 Jacksonville, Fl.

Cooking on cast iron

Quote Originally Posted by DCP View Post
    The hamburger was prime ground at the butcher 80/20. She said all she does is wipe it with a paper towel and thanks.
    We might use Dougguy suggestion without the soap.

That leaves a bad can of pam.
    Every can of Pam is bad. Canola oil is bad stuff. Canola kills! Loose the soap as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    What a HORRIBLE thread! I gotta get up and make pancakes now! todd/3leg

Boolit Master
    You guys don’t use Crisco to season your cast iron?

I’ve heard that some new cast iron comes preseasoned. No idea what that means or if might impart a flavor.

I’d quit the Pam, and does your beef have enough fat in it?

Boolit Grand Master

Pam has other additives and will leave a residue. Don’t use it on cast iron.

Cheap cast iron sucks. Period. Most of it is made in China from inferior metals.

As mentioned Griswold and Wagner or the newer quality ones like ButterPat or Field.

I use a stainless scour pad Specifically for cast iron and hot water to get crusted bits off and reseason with oil

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by 3leggedturtle View Post
    What a HORRIBLE thread! I gotta get up and make pancakes now! todd/3leg
    Just cooked pancakes with sausage and eggs for me and my 4 boys this morning. It was delicious.

Boolit Master
    Never use soap in a cast iron pan!. It will not only remove the seasoning but will absorb into the metal & hold the taste. For the most part a season pan should just be wiped out after use. To clean a cast iron pan just a little bit of water left to boil and scraped out with a plastic specula or scrub with course salt. Wipe to dry allow the heat of the warm pan to dry it completely, them wipe it with oil. Don't cook acidic foods as it will remove the seasoning as well. Season your cast iron with vegetable shortening, apply to warm pan inside & out. Place on top rack of oven at 375F-400F for 1 hr with cookie sheet on bottom rack. Allow to cool before removing.

https://www.thekitchn.com/caring-for-cast-iron-259463

https://www.southernliving.com/food/...t-iron-skillet

Boolit Master
    I used to use Pam, but found it was better to lubricate the pedistals of the chairs on my Ranger. Not so good for cast iron. And leaves a funny taste, too.
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Boolit Buddy
    Reading post about the makes of cast iron, got me thinking what my cast iron maker was.

All I can find is a R on the underside of the handel. Any ideal. The bottoms are not smooth. These came from my mother and she got them from her mother. Could be 100 years old, but don' know.

Chuck40219
    When I speak of:
    45-70: that is a 45-70 Uberti 1885 High Wall Rifle
    357 Mag. Rifle: that is a Uberti 1873 Carbine

2 nights ago, fried chicken in our old well seasoned 10" round pan. Fry chicken parts on stove top. After I turned them I dumped 4 potatoes pealed and cut into wedges into the pan. Once chicken was golden on both sides it went into the oven to finish.

Chicken was removed, potatoe wedges arranged, then chicken placed on top. Turn everything after 20 min and give it another 15-20 min.

Potatoes were browned, crispy edges, tender centers and the chicken was awesome. Really simple one pan meal that is worth the time.

Boolit Master
    We used to get inexpensive/cheap 22lr that had too much wax or had got hot and the wax had built up on the meplat. We'd clean the wax off and put the rounds in a baggie. Just a little Pam in the bag and swirl/shake them around and they shoot without leading the bore. Won't gum up the mag like that excess wax will.

Now, you don't have to throw the Pam out and wonder what this post has to do with cast iron.

Boolit Master
    To the left is my first own cast iron pan,I bought it in -75 when I was 12. My Grandma was using a similar one and those eggs... I had to get those eggs at home,too.

I have quite a collection of cast iron cookware by now.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FB_IMG_1572853933127.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	47.0 KB 
ID:	250693

Boolit Master

My Wife has a 2 Wagner skillets a 10" from Her Mother and a 8" skillet for Her 14th Birthday, XXyrs ago. I have a 6" Wagner skillet and 8" Camp Oven that My Dad gave Me along with the Chuck Wagon style Camp Kitchen. Both are 70+ yrs old.
    They are all cleaned in BOILING HOT WATER ONLY. When still hot from cooking.

We also have a big set of WAGNERWARE, cast aluminum cookware. I prefer my eggs in a cast iron skillet. Have a "New Lodge" 9" skillet w/lid. And square grill pan, and square cornbread pan from them. All "New Stuff" works well.

Sometimes I'll light up the little camp oven with charcoal briquets and make a cobbler. Got a small spot just outside the back door.

Pam works great for adding a bit of lube when sizing PC'ed bullets.
    Last edited by Walks; 11-09-2019 at 02:43 AM.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Quote Originally Posted by Petander View Post
    I have quite a collection of cast iron cookware by now.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FB_IMG_1572853933127.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	47.0 KB 
ID:	250693
    Yeah, I have to admit that my addiction to cast iron comes close to my addiction to shooting ...

I may have passed my "Best Before" date, but I haven't reached my "Expiry" date!

Who is this Pam, she must be trouble
    Oh great, another thread that makes me spend money.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast