Inline FabricationLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Wideners
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Repackbox Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 454 Casull fun

That was what I was worried about. It has me thinking that I might use j bullets with it.

Boolit Master
    You're probably aware but not all .45 cal bullets are created equally. The ones made to take the 454 are quite pricey. It's really not hard shooting cast in these things if you stay aware of some of the things that happen when the heat is turned up. The redding full profile crimp die isn't that expensive and will pay for itself very quickly over buying jacketed. These things can truly shine when fed the right poured lead combination.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1012356269?pid=123272

Ebner

I have a lee collet style cimper but I had thought of getting the Redding die earlier. I know the j bullets are about a quarter a round higher than plain base boolits that I cast. I will admit that the 1900+ FPS is addictive and I don’t know if I can get that with cast.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Iwsbull View Post
    I have a lee collet style cimper but I had thought of getting the Redding die earlier. I know the j bullets are about a quarter a round higher than plain base boolits that I cast. I will admit that the 1900+ FPS is addictive and I don’t know if I can get that with cast.
    I've hit in the high 1800s with the lee 300 and had no fouling. They were powder coated and having 20" of barrel in a rossi lever gun helped quite a bit with that. Recoil got your attention even in a little carbine. There's something to love about a little light rifle that holds 10 rounds with that kind of horsepower. I don't know what weight of bullet you're trying to propel from a handgun barrel at 1900+. These things are fun.

Ebner

I am just looking at the xtp mag 240 grain. I have the 44 SRH 265 swc plain base load at 1288 and very accurate for piddling with. I think I want the run light and fast in the 454 and get the 480 Ruger and run heavyweights in it. I want all three of the SRH revolver leadings just so the grip and trigger doesn’t change much from one to the other.
    Last edited by Iwsbull; 11-13-2019 at 01:55 PM.

Boolit Master
    One of my Freedom Arms 83's is a 454. I use an Accurate Molds 300 grain LFNGC style in it and I do PC. FWIW, I have only used the Redding profile crimp die for any of my FA83's. When I started with the 454, I had to add more crimp to keep those 300's from moving. They never jumped enough to tie up the cylinder, but I wanted those bullets to stay put.

I also have an Accurate Molds 280 grain LFNPB style bullet that I PC and put on a PBGC. It shoots very accurate, but I haven't tried to get ridiculous with them.

When I really want to turn up the heat, I use Hornady's 240 grain Magnum bullet. I've also had good luck with Speer's Deep Curl's.

When is start to get into the high 30 grain loads, this revolver can be entertaining. It's MagnaPorted, but recoil is there. I only use H110 in the 454 as I have a 45 Colt cylinder for lighter loads.

I was thinking about the Accurate 290K and powdercoating it or maybe the 240 KG powdercoated to see if they can get close to the 240 xtp mag velocity, which I love.

Boolit Grand Master
    Measure the expanding/flaring punch in your die set. Mine was .451", and I had problems with boolits pulling in recoil. I chucked it in my lathe and reduced it to .450", and I've had no problems since. All three of my .454 revolvers need .452" boolits......any bigger and they won't chamber.
    You cannot discover new oceans unless you have the courage to lose sight of the shore

I have only loaded 40 and they were with 240 xtp mag over 36.1 grains of H110 it gave me a little over 1800 FPS and excellent accuracy. I did let one round ride through 3 cylinders to check for jump and it held firm but it was not powdercoated vas either.

Boolit Master
    The mold I like the most for 45's is the Accurate #300E. It's a LFNGC style and has been accurate (pun works well here) in every revolver it's been shot out of. The Accurate website is a problem as it gives you too many choices. It's a one of these and one of those and might as well try that one, kinda thing. Yep, too many choices!

Anyway, I cast for mine with COWW mostly but I've used 20/1 too. I did shoot some with White Label BAC and Carnauba Blue. They shot great too, but PC is just fun and clean.

For pure velocity, I would stay with the jacketed bullets and hold on.

Boolit Master

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	get-attachment.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	78.3 KB 
ID:	251168 my Encore 454 and MP cast boolits at a 100 yards it's ben a few years sense i had her out I believe the load was 300gr boolit with 27.5 gr of H110
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

What type of velocities are y’all getting with the 280-300 grain boolits? I figure I am going to stick with the xtp mags for flat out speed. But if I ever get out west I would want a heavier boolit than a 240 grain j bullet. I love the 100 yard group. I doubt my flinch is that consistent.

The .454 Casull is amazing, I enjoy my Freedom Arms with custom 8.5" ported barrel.
    Hope to drop an elk with it someday.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12