RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingWideners
RepackboxReloading EverythingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision Inline Fabrication

Thread: Iver Johnson 3rd Model .38 Double Action Only?

Boolit Bub

Iver Johnson 3rd Model .38 Double Action Only?

Hi people:

I recently acquired a Iver Johnson 3rd Model in .38 S&W. Blue steel, Serial #H4011. (would like DOM if possible) It has the coil hammer spring and the 4 pins on the frame and an exposed hammer. It was sold to me as a double action only? revolver. Sure enough when I pull back the hammer it does not stay cocked. The only means of firing the gun is to pull the trigger in double action mode. I can't seem to find any info that this is normal. Every thread I've read says and shows this model can be cocked to fire single action. Was there a 3rd model .38 other than the hammerless design that was double action only? Old guy needs help. Thanks,
    Richard

I think Bubba was somewhere in the area.
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

Boolit Buddy
    The exposed hammer guns were single and double action both. As Dan suggests, Bubba and his Dremel are the ususal suspects. The number visible on the trigger guard is only part of the serial number.

The whole number with its prefix will be visible on the left side of the frame after the grip is removed.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	153233_e1b88be1cb5ab89ad4f1f50aa09643ad.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	32.3 KB 
ID:	250553

The DOM info you want is in this book.
    Last edited by one-eyed fat man; 10-31-2019 at 11:10 PM.

Boolit Bub
    Thanks guys,
    I thought they were double and single also. The gun was so nice I couldn't pass it up though. I think I may have to remove the hammer and see if the single action notch has been filed off. If so I will order a replacement hammer.
    Richard

Boolit Grand Master
    Check the nose of the sear also--it may be worn or broken.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Bub
    rintinglen;
    You were right. Someone filed down the nose of the sear. I think it must have been intentional to make the gun fire double action only. Maybe an agency firearm that mandated double action only. Hammer notches appear to be fine. I just received a replacement sear and spring and will install them tomorrow. Thanks for the info.
    Richard